Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

After the Deluge Part 2

boxofrox
13 years ago

I had this little weather window and another downpour enroute so I shot a few right before cutting some gift bouquets. It's that old use it or lose it addage and they will be toast if I don't cut them. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy.....

My first LD Braithwaites of the season......

{{gwi:1248955}}

{{gwi:1248957}}

Center Glow Ninebark

The Wall of Easy bed is finally waking up, this is the view from the bar...............

{{gwi:1248964}}

This Scent from Above bloom is almost 10' high, had to stand on a bucket and hold the camera up as high as I could reach...............

{{gwi:1248967}}

This is my favorite little azalea, it has solid salmon colored, solid white colored, and stripes like this all on the same plant.

These are several of the clematis growing with my roses on the front fence.............

{{gwi:1248972}}

{{gwi:1248976}}

America

Outrageous

{{gwi:1248980}}

Comments (12)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Yes Boxofrox, I can still see the raindrops on some of your roses and flowers. But, I like that look. lol
    Hopefully that weather of yours improves though!
    Wall of easy bed? Is that Harkness roses? easy going/livin easy?
    I can just picture you reaching to take a pic of a 10' high rose. lol
    Everythings looking great!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes on the LE/EG, they alternate on that wall except the far end which is a Eureka because they were short one yellow ;-) I just added a Sheila's Perfume right next to the three peonies in the foreground and it's ready to pop for the first time if and when the weather gives it's permission.

I made this bouquet and stuffed the ninebark branches that needed pruning in the back for effect :-)

{{gwi:1248984}}

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Great Bouquet Boxofrox! I like the bouquet in front of that great background in the second pic. lol I just planted a Livin Easy at the end of April, now to see how it does here as I do not spray.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Nice pictures. They are all pretty good. I just find it interesting to see the variability in LD Braithwaite as to color and petal count. Does Scent From Above have much scent? Just curious.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

HURRRRRAY! Gorgeous, brilliant bouquet, Boxo! I knew it was coming right around the corner, lol! I am so glad to catch your thread-uuuh, at least sort of on-time (since it's already past Friday, 2:00 a.m. to be exact, hahaha!) I am exhausted! I had 5 nights of near all-nighters working on a deadline freelance project and was just in time to catch sight of your thread! I only got Memorial Day as a break but then stayed up until 5:00 a.m. after the picnic was over-heehee-being a kooky workaholic again.

I too love that striped azalea! It is my favorite tied with your other lacy pink azalea! (Elsie Mae??? please forgive my horrible memory! the late-nighters have fried my brains)

America and Scent from Above is as lovely as can be!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

It's strange to me (here in zone 3) how big some of the roses can get. Scent from Above would be MUCH smaller here. As a collorary, there's no way I would EVER cut that much cane off of my roses to make a bouquet. :) Growth here is just not that vigorous. LOL

Love your L.D. Braithwaite. I had that rose at my old house. Was one of my favorites. It survived year after year with being protected in our cold, cold garden. It always seemed to have lots of heavenly flowers that lasted forever!!

Thanks so much!

Carol

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks bustopher,

LDB is fairly consistent color wise but I do believe the first blooms have fewer petals. Once she gets going though, she really pumps them out. Scent from Above does not live up to it's name, IMVHO. Very light fragrance it seems to me.

KG, just be happy you got work nowadays :-) I never did have enough worth cutting for the cemetery and so I went and bought a hanging basket and some mums instead and went and picked them up later. Wow though, it was gorgeous here today so I worked from sun up to sun down and got almost all the slimy mess cleaned up. Even got all the wisteria aftermath all cleaned.

Carol, here in Zone 8 my Abe Darby's and Wall of Easy's are already in the 7-8' range. Once the season really gets in gear, I'll be cutting 3-4 bouquets a week with stems like that and never run out of height :-) I do agree with you on LDB, I am quite fond of her. I just wish she had some fragrance to her.

Here's a few I shot today whilst slaving in the garden.....

Livin Easy

{{gwi:1248986}}

Easy Goin

{{gwi:1248987}}

Joseph's Coat

{{gwi:1248988}}

Royal Gold climber

{{gwi:1248989}}

Hot Cocoa

{{gwi:1248990}}

Blue Waterfall campanula

Sorbet Peony

{{gwi:1248994}}
    {{gwi:1248996}}

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

WOWZA, WOWZA!!! I am in total awe! especially with this new set too! The Peony Sorbet is such a treat! Livin' Easy and Easy Goin are FABULOUS!!! Livin Easy and Joseph's Coat have this wonderful sunshiney presence. I am glad to see your Hot Cocoa make its debut, lol! As for your beautiful campanula, now I can understand why one of the rose gardeners chose Campanula as her namesake--what a fabulous "blue" it is!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I really like the ninebark and your roses are always wonderful.

• carla17
    13 years ago

Do you happen to know the name of your pink clem? Your roses look great!

Carla

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Carla and thanks :-)

Those clems alternate between roses and there are several kinds. Notice in the pics on this thread, the first is more like a double. There are a bunch of them (like 8 or 10) planted on the fence and I tucked the tags in behind the rose planters so I would know what they are once they bloomed. I know the two on either end are Ernest Markham but both of those are so young they have yet to bloom. Most were new last year. As soon as I can get a decent day again and now that they are starting to fully open, I'll post pics with names :-)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!! Livin' Easy, Easy Going, Hot Cocoa, and Royal Gold are stunning - I especially drooled over Hot Cocoa!!!

Carol