Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeffyrose

My Baby Super Dorothy--

zeffyrose
14 years ago

This is the first year for Super Dorothy----It is a rambler which I'm hoping will grow up the tree----

I like the fact that it is blooming now when most of my roses are finished with their spring flush--she gives a nice touch of color----

{{gwi:281154}}

Florence

Comments (24)

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I like it :-)) I bought a little baby Super Dorothy myself from Heirloom. No blooms yet.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I'm very curious how you chose this one. Had you seen it before?

HMF says 12' yet one poster says it's espaliered to 35' !!?

I think it will be lovely with your other roses should they bloom together or hold court on its own.

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

Is it a repeat bloomer?

If it keeps blooming like that and gets really tall that will be a FANTASTIC showing!! Wow! The blooms hide the foliage!! And it's only a first year rose. Gotta have more pics when it gets bigger!

Carol

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Iris gal------I've been looking for a repeat bloomer rambler----and according to Ashdown catalog it is listed as fragrant --and repeat bloom

this is the first year and she is blooming for a long time---haven't noticed any fragrance but she is young
    BTW--my older sister's name is Dorothy

Can't wait to see how she grows next year-----She is a lovely splash of color after the first blooming of my other ramblers is finished----

A lovely sight from my kitchen windows----

Florence

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Thanks Florence. I'm so impressed when someone finds a gorgeous rose I've not heard of and wondered how they went about it.

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Iris Gal---I just remembered---I think the first time I read about this rose was a couple of years ago in the Heirloom catalog---but I wanted more than just a little band and then I noticed that Ashdown also had it.

I don't hear much about it on the Forums so this will be interesting to see what happens next year--.

Florence

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rita---I see you have Super Dorothy also---This will be interesting for both of us because I haven't seen many on the Forum--

Keep in touch so we can check on each other's progress with SD.

should be interesting.

I sure hope it has some fragrance.

Florence

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I bought the very small ones from Heirloom. Still they do grow fairly quickly. I got it for the same reason you did, because they said it was a repeat blooming rambler. Actually they say its a continual blooming rambler but I don't really believe that.

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rita----so far it has been blooming for quite a while---I wish I had made a note of the date it first bloomed. I have two and one was blooming for over a week before the second one started.

I'm really happy to have that splash of color in front of DH's azaleas which form a nice green background for the pretty pink.

Florence

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Claregirl---thank you so much for the picture.

SD sure looks wonderful on the trellis----I'm hoping to grow her up into a weeping cherry tree---

Nice to hear she has a little fragrance----

Florence

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I am bumping this up to see if there are any updates.

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita--here is Super Dorothy this year----she is growing in several different directions with some strong new growth----guess I'll have to wait till next year for a really good showing--will have to train it better--I was using the wire fencing to prop it up----this is the best picture I could get---
    {{gwi:1249221}}

Florence

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Oh, wow, Florence! that is amazing! Just a year later and boy do the roses FLOURISH in your GARDEN! You have such a magic touch! Just a yearrrrrr?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible and very beautiful! That is one HAPPY DOROTHY! I bet she's telling Toto right now that she's so glad she's not in Kansas but in your lovely garden, lol! I still get a big chuckle out of your gigantic Knockout too, trying to be as lovely and as big as an Abraham Darby bloom, lol, lol! It's like Florence's gigantic and beautiful, happy blooms all at once!

• the_morden_man
    13 years ago

Zeffy, SD is a super vigorous variety when happy and in full sun. She's also pretty hardy and has never had a touch of disease for me.

Here is some inspiration for you in how quick she can grow. I gave a small 12" rooted cutting of SD to my Mom a number of years back. This was SD in her 2nd spring covering a 5ft metal support. You're really going to love her.

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Morden Man---that picture took my breath away---what a gorgeous backdrop for the blue flowers and the light pink rose----
    That picture should be in a book or a calender-----

I have to do a better job of training the new growth

Have you noticed any re bloom ---how about fragrance ??

I have a problem with Virginia Creeper near SD which I will have to keep an eye on

Thanks again for this beautiful picture------

Florence

• the_morden_man
    13 years ago

Thanks. My Mom took the pic a few years ago and I liked it so much I've always kept it. I trained SD on the support for her and have planted almost all of her roses etc.

Yes, SD reblooms. She does tend to bloom late like 'The Fairy', but once she starts, is usually without bloom all season once it is mature. Very minimal fragrance to my nose.

Training the canes is very easy because they tend to be very flexible. However, she has a few of those down-turned prickles so she will latch on to you if you're not careful. Whatever you do, don't pull away quickly. I've learned this lesson the hard way...

• jovy1097
    13 years ago

Mine has yet to start reblooming, but it is looking fabulous in its third year. So easy to train the canes and few thorns. I have it growing on my chainlink fence.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

well, I am still verrrrry impressed by your Super Dorothy, Florence! You are growing yours in a very heavily shaded garden with total non-spray organics! You should be very proud of yours; everyone else has it "easy" lol! full sun and fungicides to the max, hehe! Bravo on your Super Dorothy! Everyone else, very pretty too on their Super Dorothy...Hurray on Florence's! :D

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info on Super Dorothy- It has always been a favorite of mine in photos.
    Mordenman,that photo of your mom's garden is drop-dead beautiful.
    Renee

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

WOW, I am very impressed with Super Dorothy rose.and if it reblooms,thats even better.I have a rambler single rose a daughter had gave me a cutting and I rooted it, thinking it was just a climber, but,it is a rambler and does not rebloom.I would love to have this SD growing in my yard.Its beautiful.]

Jean

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

Super Dorothy is charming and just smothered with blooms!

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As soon as the weather cools off a bit I will go out and cut off all the blooms to see if I get a re-bloom this year----
    Love all the pictures of this rose--

Florence

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Florence & Jovy, how are your Super Dorothy? Do yours repeat for you? I am getting 3 this spring.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner