Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy9norcal

Garden-- going to hail . . . .

kathy9norcal
12 years ago

Yes, it is June 1st in California's Central Valley. Yes, it should be in the mid-80's or low 90's. Yes, it hailed and poured.

Yes, I even turned on the heat today. Ugh.

poor shredded and cold bush cukes

Comments (17)

• priszm
    12 years ago

Even with the rain, your garden is gorgeous! Want to come landscape mine?

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure, priszm, I'd love it. I don't have a square foot of room left to plant. I really like buying and planting new things!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

A few minutes ago I was swearing (who me?) at the hail pelting down. Arrgggh!!!

Your garden is lovely.

Carol

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol, we actually had a funnel cloud over our town today. I don't ever remember that in the 30 years we have lived here.

• jeffcat
    12 years ago

We actually had a whole bunch of hail in Ohio about a week ago. Luckily, the roses hadn't bloomed yet, unless the the blooms would of been getting assaulted. That hail looks pretty small though so you lucked out there. That stuff can do some real serious damage when it gets larger.

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

It has been nuts, hasn't it? Turn the heat on at 10pm because it's 45 outside, and wake up the next day sweating buckets because it's in the 80s.

Tornados in CA, Michigan, and now Massachusetts yesterday. Seems like Mom Nature is widening her influence.

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

Wow, we got plenty of rain here but no hail, and I heard on the news there was a possibility of tornatic activity but thankfully didn't see anything in my neck of the woods.

I'm trying to look at the bright side of this strange weather, so instead of lamenting the slow growth of my tomatoes I'm enjoying not having to water my newly planted fruit trees and grape and kiwi vines.

This too shall pass... I hope!

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On the other hand, peachy, my daylilies have grown into monsters, trying to smother out the roses. If they ever bloom, they will be magnificent. I do like not having to water--our water is full of boron and not the best for many plants. On the whole, the garden is happy in this perpetual early spring mode.

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Cool photos! Not so cool subject tho. I tell ya, I am sooooo sick of this weather I could scream!! I don't think we're ever going to see summer this yr. We didn't get the hail, but lots of rain yesterday, and it's supposed to go on into next week. And Butte County was on tornado warning again last night. Not sure how many set down tho. Last week the one that hit around Durham took out a bunch of almond trees and damaged a barn. I think they said the overall damage last week was around half a million dollars!! Imagine the amount of damage done to the other states with far more massive tornadoes than our little ones! It's sad and scary. The way the weather is and all the natural disasters, I think our time on this earth is coming to an end. Mama Earth is purging herself of us parasites!

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

Or at least teaching us a little lesson! We are small and powerless when it comes to the forces of Mother Nature, but she is also nurturing and kind enough to give us gifts like roses and peaches. Times are changing, but if we can adapt I'm sure we'll find a new and better place in the scheme of things.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Tornadoes - yikes!!! Scary stuff.

Carol

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Hail or not, your garden looks magnificent! I am always looking forward to seeing pictures from your yard each year. Still I hope that the weather will get better for you! Here in SoCa it also has been unusual cold, but no comparison with your weather.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• katefisher
    12 years ago

I truly feel your pain. Here in upper Northern CA we have had rain, hail, and yes even snow in the past couple of weeks. Here's a shot from yesterday morning.

I honestly felt I was going crazy for a moment. Just waiting to come up behind a snow plow on the road. Yikes!

Kate

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Kathy- I agree. You garden is so pretty even with the hail. I trust things are back to normal weather now?

• jaxondel
    12 years ago

Oh my . . . How wonderful that rain looks! We're parched here -- presently at an 11 inch rain deficit for the year (& we're just five months into the year!). With the present prevailing weather patterns, I'm told that our only hope for rain this summer is via tropical storms. (We say 'tropical storm' when we want to avoid use of the H word).

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Hail! What hail? I was so busy looking at your lovely garden I didn't even notice any hail. Your garden looks gorgeous, Kathy!

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rita, it rains, and rains, and rains. . . .
    Not normal by a long shot.
    Jazondel, come on and get some! We have more than enough to go around. DH just told me the water content of our snowpack is 263% of normal. Which means if it ever gets warm and stops snowning, the rivers will be very dangerous with even more drownings than normal. Unfair you are so dry.
    Kate, wow! Makes me shiver just looking at it. Summmer better get her soon or I will need antidepressents.