Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

2010 Lopsided Garden Part II

serenasyh
13 years ago

This 2010 has been one horrid nightmare of flooding, ceaseless rains. For the first 2 months, the roses were still beautiful and pristine in my no-spray organics garden. The third month of non-stop flooding, canker developed where the canes would fork out (rain settling between the grooves would literally rot away my stems) then a mutant BS strain soon followed, spreading like wildfire amongst my cluster of ground-planted hybrid tea roses. Only the new roses did well, because BS in my locale doesn't attack young roses or young canes until they reach a certain size and maturity. So far none of the old garden roses have BS and I hope this stays this way, now that sunshine has FINALLY COME BACK TO KANSAS!

The photos are very deceiving because my roses will bloom their little hearts out even with so little leaves! and I have told Jim1961 on several occasions that the condition of my hybrid teas would make "even a grown man cry". But I would like to share the happy news in celebrating my first garden tea, whoo-hoo! and I love how beautiful she is! Her beginning and peak blooms look like hybrid teas and when she is past the peak, she transforms to this lovely tea shape, plus she's got a wonderful and refreshing grapefruit scent! I love this rose! And this year 2010, I get to enjoy Jim's wonderful friendship rose! Anyway, here are the lumps to block the view of the rot and the decay that happened to my garden!

Folklore HT

Compassion HT Climber

America HT Climber

Penny Lane HT Climber

Lady Emma Hamilton

Royal Sunset HT Climber

Lincoln HT

Frederic Mistral HT

{{gwi:1251361}}

Viking Queen HT Climber

Crepuscule Noisette

Jules Climber

Folklore HT

{{gwi:308456}}

Cornelia Hybrid Musk

Distant Drums Shrub Rose

Mrs. B.R. Cant Tea Rose

This pathetic photo of mine shows how much of a King Leonidas Lincoln is. Still huge blooms against the barbarian hordes of BS; it is a warrior rose. Never stopped blooming and is still blooming to this very day- a 4 month flush!

Comments (16)

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Whooops! forgot to say that my first tea is Mrs. B.R. Cant! and that Jim's friendship rose is Distant Drums. A wonderful hugs to Jim for one of the most beautiful roses in my garden as well!

I think I need more rest and sleep, lol! had just 3 hours' sleep last night, lol!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Well Serena all your blooms look great!
    Looks like Distant Drums is doing good & blooming.
    Mr. Lincoln is standing proud. lol
    I can't wait to get a bloom on our Lincoln rose. Should be within a couple weeks.

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

So many beautiful roses Serena, great photos too!

• phatboyrose
    13 years ago

Serena, what a beautiful array of roses, each and everyone are just lovely. Don't you just love Folklore such a outstanding rose in everyway. Thanks for sharing them with us and lets see more of them in the near furture. LOL LOL
    Harold

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

What a terrible run of crappy rose weather for you!!! I went through that with snow, hail, rain, snow, etc. But I've had sun for about 2 weeks now, and it's amazing how fast you forget the bad stuff. Roses are soo soothing and wonderful, whispering, "It's okay now, we're here, come look at us, come smell us, it's okay now." :)

Your roses look wonderful - My favs are:

Mr. Lincoln
    Mrs. B.R. Cant!!!!
    Viking Queen

Thanks for the gorgeous look!!

Carol

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

very beautiful! I hope you're able to get your garden back in shape soon, but at least you have these beauts to distract!

• boxofrox
    13 years ago

KG,

What an awesome assortment !!!! If I had to pick just one it would have to be Distant Drums but that second pic of LEH is right in the sweet spot of my color wheel ;-) You are getting quite handy with that Rebel, girl !

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awww, thanks so much Jim, RamblinRozez, Harold, Boxo, Carol, and Aimeekitty!

Harold, we miss you and Adele! and hope and hope she is continuing to get stronger and better! I was looking at Climbing America today because I've got another very large bud that will open and it reminded me how spectacular yours and Boxo's must be looking! Like realllll climbers, whereas mine are just a few cane wannabes, lol! and yes, I'm thinking in July-August, some of your Meyer lemons must be in the works! Harold yes, I love Folklore. The scent is FANTASTIC and falls second to Mr. Lincoln.

Speaking of scent, I really enjoy the honeysuckle sweetness of Cornelia and Ghislaine de Feligonde. Penny Lane smells like gardenia.

My Asiatic lilies are about to start blooming too!!!! they're getting real fat and heavy so another set of lumps should be helping themselves along.

Florence-inspired Compassion and Viking Queen give such pretty blooms, but I'm always missing out on Viking Queen, because being a baby band, she blooms so fast and I get up so late, I miss out on so many pretty showings, whereas Compassion is verrrrry forgiving of my late to bed, late to rise habits and always looks pretty and opens very gradually, thank goodness! Viking Queen is one prolific constant bloomer too. She is just like her namesake, a baby Viking! She just shot up a 2'2" brand new cane as well, and is trying to match the Big Boys, lol!

Oh, by the way, here are my nightmare invasive gladiolus. Do not let their lively cheery little faces fool anyone! They are highly invasive in my garden. I had to transplant 50 of those things because they were taking over my entire rose bed. And now they've taken over the most barren places I could plant them at! To this day, I keep having to dig up dozens upon dozens of those things because they keep resprouting in my rosebed. Sneaky little things are too pretty to burn with a flame torch, lol!

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hugs to everyone and a huge celebration for such a special, blessed holiday! It's super cloudy, almost rain-like tonight, but am hoping the clouds will keep holding off onto tomorrow so that we can all enjoy the fireworks!!! Stargazers are starting to come out with a bang as well, whoo-hoo!

{{gwi:303648}}

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

The bud on Compassion is to die for.

Great captures of your dog!!

• boxofrox
    13 years ago

Those stargazers surely are gaze worthy ;-) Your glads are gorgeous too. I know it's late where you are but it's only 10:29 here. The folks are going nuts with the fireworks all around us so there won't be any sleeping around here anytime soon :-(

Happy Fourth KG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

whoo-hoo, I am so thrilled and happy for you Boxo! If you've got fireworks, that means you didn't get rained on, Yaaaaaay! It is super late, but I had to check back because I was very anxious about how your Fourth of July turned out. You mentioned in your other thread that your Momma was doing sandwiches for fear that the barbecue might fizzle instead of sizzling. So this is such a relief and great news that you were able to have fireworks!

One the other hand, WE GOT DRENCHED! All the public fireworks were canceled in Kansas City, so only the Stargazer lilies and Eluane put up their pretty show. But it makes me veeeery happy that you got to celebrate yours at least! Whoo-hoo! :D :D :D Yeah, I know it will make everyone a bit sleep-deprived ;-)but oooo, I love that sparkle and blast-off! Again, Happy Fourth of July, Boxo, Jim1961, Karen and everyone!

Thanks so much Irisgal! Didn't get no fireworks, but Eluane is soooo pretty. I am very happy to have captured her sweetness perfectly in those 2 pics. Definitely made my Fourth of July instead of a doozy meltdown, lol! I am shocked with the rains. In all my high school years through my college and adult years in Kansas City, we've never had rains mess up the Fourth of July. This is a first for us! We've got another 15 days of non-stop, no break rains ahead of us again according to our weather forcast (sigh!) The rains are back again!

13 years ago

Those are great pics of Eluane there Serena! She looks so sweet!
    She is such a camera hound. lol

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Spectacular pix, Serena. Sorry about all your rain. Know what that's like, altho this year has been dry here.

Do you like Frederic Mistral as much as I do? I think it's pretty near a perfect rose. Disease-free for me.

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Jim and Paul! Paul, I am total organics, no spray whether fungicides or pesticides. I've gotten one bloom from my 1st year Freddie which is very pretty. Unfortunately, Freddie is a very sun needy rose it seems, unlike Penny Lane which will keep blooming steadily. Freddie has a beautiful scent and smells very much like Tiffany and Compassion but has a little more "honey" tone in it. I'm a huge fragrance person! Can't stand roses that smell like plastic, lol! So Freddie is a real winner because of that fragrance factor!

Everyone, I think this will be my last set of photos on this Lopsided Thread. I still have several upcoming lovely Climbing America buds that are gonna break loose, but my concern is that with the really bad set of ongoing rains, my Part III is up to question about whether any rose can survive all this flooding. So I am saving the rest of my CA and other blooms for the Part III emergency reserve in case I end up with more canker and dead roses!

Here is my last set...

Jules climbing rose

Compassion Climbing Rose

America Climbing Rose (same bloom but one with the water droplets)

Little Penny Lane, it is a steady bloomer for such a horrid, shady location. Same bloom but I love how it develops its form, so pretty!

And here is the Royal Sunset Climbing rose. As you can tell, its earlier blooms are all pink and none maintained the apricot of their buds. This was the only bloom to have kept its apricot coloration beyond the bud stage. The buds are actually very apricot/tan in color- very striking and pretty. Next time I'll just take photos of the bud so one can see this.

And a new spray of Cornelia not yet open

And finally my bee balm, but I am still waiting for the lucky day when I can get a photo of them surrounded with bees...

13 years ago

Your lastest rose blooms look great Serena!
    Hopefully all that rain won't hurt any of your roses!

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor