Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Descanso Garden Roses and Companions (early June)

Posted by aimeekitty zone 9 (SW 18) SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 21:00

crossposted to the Antique Rose Gallery

Some roses are just starting to bloom at Descanso Gardens now, while others are on their way out. It was educational to see so many that were stunning a few weeks ago,... that now look not as great. But something can't be the same level of beautiful all the time, right?
It was also nice to see what types of companion plants they chose, some of which are blooming more NOW than they were a few weeks ago when most of the roses were at peak. A nice way to extend the season of the garden.

Some general shots and shots of companion plantings:

Does anyone know what these charming plants are?

More guara (I LOVE GUARA)

I liked this large daisy put in with the roses.

huge bank of guara backed with butterfly bushes

lamb's ear

detail on one of the harlequin butterfly bushes. They had several large butterfly bushes in the middle of some of the rose beds. Here it's in the old tea section with rosette delizy.

a large Swany Rose

carefree delight rose and others with gladiolas growing right out of the midst of them (love this!)

More Carefree Delight

Bishop Darlington

a bench so covered in roses that you can hardly see the arbor or the bench.

Hollyhocks among the roses

still really like Crocus Rose

a gorgeous bloom on Maman Cochet cl.

chinese foxglove with roses

a mix of yarrow and other things

What Francoise Juranville looks like later in it's bloom cycle

similar shot of Marchesa Boccella

and mme. Lauriole de Barny

Augutse Renoir, lovely when properly open... but so many of the buds looked kinda ick.

white eden

BONUS HUMMINGBIRD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Descanso Garden Roses and Companions (early June)

That was a treat!! I just love a mixture of plants with the roses. Visual feast.

I'm not sure, but the purple plants might be a type of salvia. Whatevery they're called - they're lovely!!

Thank you so much!!

Carol

o

OMG, your white eden looks amazing! MUST have it must have it must have it

o

Crocus Rose looks very pretty.

The lavender spire plant is a Veronica. I love them. Nice vertical accent plant.

o

One of my all-time favorite places. I haven't been in a few years. It is heavenly in spring. I love the Austins there especially, and the tulip or bulbs display. And, the gift shop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here