Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krista_5ny

Pink Promise

Krista_5NY
12 years ago

Pink Promise has been a fantastic rose. I love it, have two of them. It's a great blooming rose, plenty of vigor and nice dark green foliage.

The fragrance is like apple with a hint of Tea Rose.

These pics are from two summers ago, when it was newly planted. In a few weeks it will start its bloom for the season.

{{gwi:293412}}

{{gwi:293411}}

This is Purple Pavement, also a pic from a few years ago. The bees love this rose.

Comments (9)

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Oh, this is so wonderful Krista! I remember you recommending Pink Promise as a hybrid tea for me awhile back, and I remember Purple Pavement too. This photo really "pops" as well, and the bee is absolutely adorable!!! I can't wait to see the 2011 shots! I have been paying real close attention to Purple Pavement/Rotes Meer (the European-German name)because the rugosa people at Peter Beales love it so much as being very bee-stable (consistently attractive to the bees) and because I remember you specifically recommending it. Boxo's Hansa is not available at Vintage Gardens save as a custom root so it'd be wayyyy to expensive for me. Right now I'm very worried about Inga mentioning that rugosas don't like heat and we get blazing hot summers at 93-95 degrees. I actually had 2 "perfect" spots to sneak in the rugosas, one right between 2 barberry bushes at the front of the house, and one right in front of the street as a "hedge" but now, I'm thinking uh-oh! That front of the street may be way tooo hot and sunny!

So how tall will the Purple Pavement get? Any trick to getting it to rebloom faster and more frequently????? It's a split between Belle Poitevine, Rotes Meer-Purple Pavement, and Amelie Gravereux so far and I can't decide!!!! If I can get fast rebloom out of Purple Pavement, then I will go with that...

Krista, be sure to place in the new 2011 blooms here and the new bouquets. Louise Odier is absolutely magical in your bouquets....I tried so hard to get your Marchesa Boccella, but Linda has not had any luck getting it to root, so I'm still waiting for it. She says it's been a very difficult rose to root. So 2012 may be the "lucky third try charm"...

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Krista - I got Pink Promise this year!! I didn't know much about it. Glad to see it looking so pretty and that you really like it.

That looks like a really good place to be if you are a bee!!

Carol

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Serena, thank you. The Purple Pavement grows to about 4 1/2 feet tall here. It does well in the occasional heat wave we have here, but we don't get a lot of very hot weather... the color has more purple in it than the picture shows. Yes, the bees do love this rose. It sets hips very quickly, so I deadhead it right after it blooms to help with the repeat bloom. I know of a source where one can buy Marchesa Boccella in stock, a large size plant. Email me if you'd like more info.

Carol, Pink Promise is a great rose in a cold zone. You're in a colder zone than me, but this is a great Hybrid Tea to try in a cold zone, I think. It's a wonderful rose.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

I had to look up Pink Promise at HMF and thank you! Gorgeous buds in your pictures! How does it last as a cut rose? TIA

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Iris. I haven't cut blooms from it to bring indoors... so I don't know how long the blooms would last in a vase. The petals do have some substance to them, and seem to hold up well on the plant. It really stands out in the garden, blooms and foliage, the whole effect.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Iris and Carol, you've got to see Krista's GORGEOUS AND MOST BEAUTIFUL STANWELL PERPETUAL!!! Her rose is such a graceful rose, and I'm trying to put the "rush" so that you can all see and admire! It is like a total ballerina rose in terms of the soft petals and the arching canes...It has the "lines" of a ballerina, make sense? hehe! I was totally wowed!

Krista I also mentioned your name and your Purple Pavement at Peter Beales just 2 days ago. I just love that color....Out of the Purple Pavement, Belle Poitevine, no one has done an Amelie Gravereux. And so far it seems that Purple Pavement has a darker color which will add to the contrast asset. I've got so many pinks in the front of the yard that it is way too monotone (Crescendo tree roses, Cornelia, Distant Drums, Frederic Mistral) Only Ferdinand Pichard and the future Rugosa would have enough of a color contrast.

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Serena. I will post some pics of Stanwell soon.

I'll do a separate post showing the growth habit of Purple Pavement. It is a dark rugosa, darker than Belle Poitevine.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lovely pale pink buds. They look like porcelain.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Oh - I'm getting quite excited to see blooms on my Pink Promise,

Krista - please show us your Stanwell Perpetual. :) Although - it's probably on another post I haven't gotten to yet.

Carol :)