Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Some more blooms

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

I dunno what it is, but sometimes I just can't get as good of pics as I'd like. Seems like one of the batteries works better than the other. Seems like the pics are clearer maybe with one battery. Maybe it's just me. LOL My hands aren't as steady as they used to be...

ABOUT FACE
{{gwi:1252352}}

CHANDOS BEAUTY
{{gwi:1252353}}

CHOCOLATE SUNDAE CL
{{gwi:1252354}}

CREME CARAMEL
{{gwi:1252355}}

JADE
{{gwi:1252356}}

LOVE'S PROMISE
{{gwi:1252357}}

MAMMA MIA!
{{gwi:1252358}}

NIGHT TIME
{{gwi:1252359}}

PAW MAW
{{gwi:1206609}}

SOUVENIR DE BADEN BADEN
{{gwi:1252360}}

STRAIGHT ARROW
{{gwi:1252361}}

TABOO
{{gwi:1252362}}

VAMPIRE
{{gwi:1252363}}

VOGUE florist rose
{{gwi:1202028}}

Comments (13)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

Out of curiosity, how does that Chocolate Sundae climber do for you? There were some cautions in the descriptions that I saw saying it was best suited only for certain climates. Is it a good climber?

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bustopher, I've had it since it came out in what? 2009. It's in a 5gal pot and has never gotten any bigger than about 2.5ft, and rarely blooms. I dunno. Maybe it needs to get out of the pot, but I haven't figured out where to put it yet! I love it when it blooms. The color here is not very accurate. I tried to tweak it to get the right color, but it's really hard to get it right. It's a good bit more orangey than what I see on my screen. I mean it's rust, but a slightly more "dusty-orangey-rust."

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

You have some fine photos there! Captured well the subtlety of Chando's Beauty and even Mamma Mia. And then there are all those glamorous reds that do not bleed all over the page (which mine tend to do)--and then that last wonderful pic: vogue--you captured her winsome beauty so well. I love her!

Kate

• kathy9norcal
    10 years ago

I particularly like your unusual color roses!

• dog_wood_2010
    10 years ago

I really like the one called Taboo. Is it fully open in that pic? It looks like it's still unfolding. I'd love to see it fully opened

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

What beauties!!
    I really, really like the last 4 and Chandos Beauty.
    I really enjoyed seeing your roses!
    Carol

• nummykitchen
    10 years ago

You have the most amazing rose collection! I am in love with Creme Caramel! I've recently purchased Cafe Ole and Irish Cream since that coloring is very intriguing to me. How did you get a vampire?!? It is beautiful! Dave Bang has some amazing creations, is he selling them somewhere? I've been drooling over his photos since I first started with roses.

Andrea

• inga007
    10 years ago

As always, your post is full of wonderful photos and surprise new roses. These pics don't seem to be suffering any bad effects from misbehaving batteries, they all look fantastic.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!

Dog_wood, TABOO was close to being fully open. It's already blown by now tho. That particular bloom was a small one, maybe 2". The average blooms on it aren't very large, maybe 3" at most. My plant may just be so old it spends more time growing big fat stems with little blooms. Not a real great rose.

Andrea, I've been trying to get Dave to sell his roses for awhile now. I told him he could easily sell those beautiful creations to lots of people, even just here on the forums. He has a system of rooting the cuttings that's almost 100% successful. I haven't tried his method. He very kindly allowed me to purchase some of his beauties so I can sort of test them for him. One of the rose growers in Europe contacted him recently to test several of his newer seedlings. He gave me a few of them before they contacted him. He told me that they told him not to put any more photos on the web of them for "patent reasons." Neither he nor I could figure out why they would say that. Whatever! Anyway, VAMPIRE is not one of those. So far my couple of blooms haven't been as black as his. But as I told him, I find that own-roots (for me anyway) don't always show their true color on the first few bloomings. I'm hoping to get those deep black-red colors on the next blooms maybe! My climate is different from his tropical one, so I may not have the same results. That's why it's good to test the roses in other areas before selling them. Keep your eye out tho. I think his unusual stripeys are going to be showing up for sale in the next few yrs. He's going to be a great amateur hybridizer.

Thanks Inga... but you haven't seen the ones I didn't post on here. Some are pretty bad! That's why they're not here!!! LOL

• jktx55
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your beautiful rose pictures.
    Jack

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

Love Chandos Beauty; Creme Caramel & Vogue. I haven't bought roses in years. We moved to an area with a lot of deer; they've been feasting on my roses. The rabbits feast on everything else. :( I miss posting photos!

Do you still have the Alexis rose? My friend had a daughter Alexis in 1974; she fell on hard times when she found herself divorced to a guy that didn't regularly work; went home to her mother's to find she had breast cancer with a poor prognosis. She was in no shape to make a decision on how to support she & her daughter when Catholic Charities talked her mother into putting the daughter up for adoption; a decision she regretted. She registered to find her; but had no luck. 3 years ago she got a letter in the mail that her daughter went missing in 1989 at age 14 & has not been seen since.

Short version; they wouldn't tell her what her daughter's adopted name was just that she was missing from Michigan. Her husband was able to find her missing information; so she now has her name. She's given DNA; but there have been no matches against deceased women yet. She's also paid for name searches; but no hits that way either.

Her 39th birthday will be Sunday. A friend wants to make something for their FB page; thought it would be nice to see if there were any Alexis roses to put in the birthday banner; I saw your photo come up on HMF; so I figured I'd come here to ask.

Every Mother's Worst Nightmare!
    How I found out my daughter was missing

Here is a link that might be useful: Find Aundria Bowman

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Roselvr, what a sad story! I feel badly for your friend. At first I was thinking... "I don't have a rose named ALEXIS." But I realized I use the original (European) name of L'OREAL TROPHY. Yes I do still have it, but it's not a very good rose. Very small ownroot I got many yrs ago from Vintage Gardens. Doesn't grow much or bloom much. But it's probably due to the poor soil in that bed. I do enjoy it when it does bloom tho. I know what you mean about the deer problem. So far this yr, they haven't hit yet. Hopefully they won't anytime soon, altho it's about that time for them to start showing up.

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I'll have to look at HMF again to see if it's still available;. maybe my friend wants to try growing it

I haven't enabled anyone in a long time! lol

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner