Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

Some of my Clements Roses

olga_6b
18 years ago

PLease see some pictures of Clements roses. All are fragrant

Magnificent Perfume. Very strong fragrance, huge blooms.

Star of the Nile. Fragrant, beautiful, nice bush shape.

{{gwi:250174}}

Fragrant masterpiece. Real beauty, very strong myrrh scent.

{{gwi:242277}}

{{gwi:242278}}

{{gwi:242269}}

{{gwi:242270}}

{{gwi:242271}}

Louise Clements. Fragrant, very hard blooming, finally became big this year

Tropical Fragrance. Lots of fragrant blooms.

Morning Has Broken. Can be grown no spray. Nice fragrance.

New Orleans. new to me this year.

Thank you very much and sorry for the long post.

Olga

Comments (88)

• msjean
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Amazing roses !!! Wish I had more room in my garden...because I want every rose you posted :))

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    18 years ago

Oh,no! Now they are all gone, LOL! Not found. Thank you for trying :) I know I wouldn't mind a new post or a link. You're pictures are awesome, and it's hard to find pics of Clements roses. But don't let me be greedy if you don't have the time, etc ;)

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Meredith, it is something with fototime site now. It is completely down. Please check another time, they all should be visible when the site is up again.
    Olga

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was told by Fototime administration that the problem was firxed. Hope you can see the pictures.
    Thank you.
    Olga

• Molineux
    18 years ago

I've had my eye on MAGNIFICENT PARFUME for some time now but your images were the clincher. I'm definately getting that rose next year. If she lives up to her name I'm gonna be a very happy rosarian.

Wow what a beauty! Reminds me of SdlM.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patrick, MP does look like SDLM on steroids. But the fragrances are very fiferent.
    Olga

• andreageorgia
    18 years ago

Absolutely stunning, Olga!!! I guess I have to get a few of those, Magnificent Perfume, Louise Clements, and Star of the Nile. Fragrant Masterpiece is such a beauty, but I'm not too fond of myrrh. Great post!

Andrea

• karenforroses
    18 years ago

Olga, these shots are SOOOOO beautiful! Makes me think again about taking a chance (in our colder shorter season) with some tiny Clements roses.

• Molineux
    18 years ago

Olga I've picked out the perfect spot. I had some Phlox (var. David) that got fried to a crisp on the east side of my house. Boy was that a bummer. Anyway, that is where I want to put Magnificent Parfume. Just how big does she get? What is the growth habit like? Tall obviously but is she a big floppy monster, a prissy upright Hybrid Tea wannabe, or a nice bushy shrub?

Oh, and one last question. How good is the repeat?

• nanthorpe
    18 years ago

Wow! You just made my day with these beautiful photos. Thank you for growing them and sharing them with us!! Gorgeous.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patrick, when I mentioned that MP looks like SDLM on steroids, I meant blooms mot bush size. My bush is only 4-4.5 feet tall and wide after 3 years in my garden. It is very upright. I would say growth habit is similar to some floribundas, not tall ang leggy like HTs, but also not as bushy as old European roses. In a way the growth in my garden is also similar to SDLM.
    Olga

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, I didn't answer about repeat. It is average. Not a blooming full (has too many petals for that, I guess), but very decent repeat in distictive flushes. Just two flushes during it's first year. At least 5 flushes starting from year 2.

• Molineux
    18 years ago

SOLD!!!

• james23
    18 years ago

really great shots, Olga
    j

• jerome
    18 years ago

Olga, your roses are really magnificent. Whenever I see your posts with photos I find myself looking again and again. Elsewhere, you posted some pictures of your Abraham Darby (with great pruning information too!) that just knocked me out. And this batch of photos: they're all so beautiful. You made my evening. Monday, I am going to go out and brew some alfalfa tea!

Jerome

• CaliforniaDoug
    18 years ago

Olga,

Your pictures above and also elsewhere on Radio Times and Abraham Darby are incredible. I am ordering both of them for next year. Back on June 18, 2005 you wrote, "I also really like my new New Orleans. It blooms non stop so far, fragrant and very cheerful." Has it continued as a continuous bloomer up to Sept. 29th? Also, how would you describe Star of the Nile in terms of reblooming? Is it continuous or near continuous, or are there pauses? I have Heirlooms 2005 Catalog, but I would be very interested in hearing your actual experience with New Orleans and Star of the Nile.

• barb422
    18 years ago

Glad to see this thread again. They're all so beautiful and the Fragrant Masterpiece is calling to me with those frilly blooms.

• msjam2
    18 years ago

Olga, you're pictures are truly an inspiration for us newbies. Whenever I look at your photos, I always say to myself that one day, my roses will look like that..thanks for sharing. By the way, do you have a website?

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much.
    Doug, Star of the Nile is very heavy bloomer for me. A lot of flowers. This one and Louise Clements are bloom almost non stop.
    New Orleans almost died from JBs this summer for me. Was completely defoliated, even small branches were eaten. It is recovering now, but it is not fare to ask for a lot of flowers yet. I have to wait until next season before I can comment on it.
    Olga

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

Don't want this great post with those lovely pictures to leave us just yet, so up to the top it goes from the last page.

• juicy_tomato
    17 years ago

So glad to see this post has been saved... It is one of the most memorable of the entire year!

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Olga,
    I can't say anything more than what everyone else has said.

The only one we have is Star of the Nile, and it is EXQUISITE. I don't have or know of ANY other rose quite like it. It glows and is so special. Ours is only in its second season, but the blooms are incredible.
    Now I'm thinking again about Louise Clements.
    Thanks so much for posting these pics.
    :0) Phyl

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

OLGA---I'M SO HAPPY THIS POST CAME BACK TO THE TOP SO I COULD ENJOY YOUR GORGEOUS ROSES.

Thank goodness this post was not lost.

Your roses are so gorgeous and all on 1/7 of an acre--AMAZING---

Thanks--Florence

• shellfleur
    17 years ago

Olga, please tell me how long it took for your Star of the Nile to get big, gorgeous and pump out the blooms. I planted mine in 2004 and it is still only a foot high, had a tiny but pretty spring flush...lot's of basal growth this year but still sooo tiny. Maybe it just doesn't like its spot? Thanks, Shelley

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, everybody. Just noticed that this post came back.
    Shelley, my Star of the Nile was planted in 2000. However, it reached it mature size quite fast for me, I think it was third year when it became its mature size. It gives me a lot of basal growth every year all season long. Really bushy rose. Probably it just doesn't like the spot as you said.
    Florence, your are very kind.
    Olga

• roselover_nj
    17 years ago

I remember this amazing post from last year! These are beautiful shots! WOW! How is the repeat on these roses? Do they need to be sprayed?

• Missy_GardenWhimsy
    17 years ago

Glad to see this wonderful post come back to the front page. Great pictures of your wonderful roses! Missy

• shellfleur
    17 years ago

Thanks Olga, I think I'll be moving my Star of the Nile to a better spot in the spring. I want mine to look just like yours when it grows up! Shelley

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I was just looking for this old post and hoping it was still around because of the fantastic pictures and information on Clements roses.

I am expanding the shrub rose section in front and trying to decide on the best choices. I think Quietness for sure. I don't want ones looking to become climbers and want to stick with shrubs. I would like a lot of repeating bloom as they will be in the front were all passersby can see.

Olga- Your information on these roses is priceless.

• medusa_
    16 years ago

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Wow! I hate Olga ; )

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

Olga- How big is your Star of the Nile?

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

Olga's pics are the main reason I ordered LOUISE CLEMENTS this season!!! Thanks Olga for enabling so many of us with these beautiful photos!! I'm anxious to see the coming season' photos now....

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I love this post. I would never have noticed the Clements Roses if not for Olgas lovely pictures. Soon I will be able to look at my very own Clements roses as today I ordered --

Louise Clements
    Star of the Nile
    Magnificent Perfume
    Scarlet Velvet
    New Orleans

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Bump. This post is a classic to me. I would not have any Clemments roses if it wasn't for this. Mine are blooming now and I am so glad that I have them.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Some nice looking roses you have!

14 years ago

Here a Precious Platinum own-root rose I ordered from Heirloom roses. My wife and I were debating whether to get Star of the nile next Spring. After seeing your pictures, we are getting it for sure...LOL
    {{gwi:1252527}}

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

I'm so glad this post got resurrected...I love seeing the more rare roses... I especially love Louise! Beautiful roses all of them! Fragranced roses make me dream!

• kstrong
    14 years ago

Heirloom does not seem to have Magnificent Perfume on their website availability list anymore -- any idea where it can be purchased?

Kathy

14 years ago

Kathy,

Only Heirloom Roses sells that rose. They probably have none to offer right now, but, will next Spring. Contact them if you wish at: info@heirloomroses.com

JIM

14 years ago

Kathy,

Looking at there 2009 catalog right now. Size is listed as 3 1/2 to 4 ft tall X 3 1/2 ft wide. Bloom size 4"-5", Has 50+ Petals. Strong sweet expensive perfume smell Rated 10.

JIM

14 years ago

Olga_6b,

I'm new to this forum. I noticed you posted on the main rose forum recently.
    Just wondering if you have any great photo's of your roses this season as I really enjoyed your rose show in this thread.

JIM

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

How did I miss this post,I mean these are some AWESOME roses. I can see this going to cost me some money. Your LOUISE CLEMENTS and TROPICAL FRAGRANCE are must HAVES. Thanks for posting.
    Harold

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

Thanks, Rita, for bringing this back up again! It makes me more convinced than ever to have FM and Star of the Nile. I actually had SoTN, but it died in it's pot over winter. :o(

I think Clements roses are very underused, and there should be more out there. I hope Louise will continue to offer these precious roses now that her husband has passed.

14 years ago

Who's Rita? LOL... I brought it back in the hopes that Olga would see it and post more recent and current pics.
    Where are you Olga???

JIM

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

Sorry, Jim! I saw newyorkrita had brought it back up..but that was in 2008! Now I see you were the latest one to bring it up. My apologies.

14 years ago

greenhaven, no apologies needed...lol...

I'm going to get a couple Clements Roses next season.
    I see you recently got Sunrise at Heirloom, that should be a bright standout in the garden for you. I may purchase one of those and grow it in a pot. If I can successful figure out to overwinter them.

JIM

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Gorgeous! I'm so glad you found and bumped this . What a treasure

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Back in 2009 I put this thread into my aol favorites to bookmark the rose forum and I use this link to get on the rose forum almost everyday...So I've seen this thread almost everyday since 2009...lol

• jerome
    6 years ago

Oh wow! Olga's roses are so incredible. I often wonder how these wonderful people are now. Olga; Florence ("Zephierose") and so many others.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro