Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Some Heat Wave Blooms and a Dog's Suggestion for Staying Cool

TNY78
11 years ago

Well, Knoxville broke an all-time high today by reaching 105 degrees. First time in almost 150 years of record keeping for the city (our poor neighbors 3 hours away in Nashville reached 109!!!) I spent the day in and out of the a/c volunteering at the animal shelter...trust me, moving 70 dogs in and out of runs all day at 10 minute intervals so they didn't get too hot is very wearing!

Once I got home I was able to take a few shots of the roses that are actually blooming through the heat, and let my own dogs play in their kiddie pool for a little while :)

Tammy

St. Patrick

St Patrick

Cornelia

Blanc di Vibert

Sunny Side Up

Permenant Wave created an odd bloom today

Pat Austin

Pat Austin full view (and my pug, Peterpan, sneaking in)

Midnight Blue

Double Knockout

Mme Caroline Testout

Candy Cane

Baylee and Ladybug finding a great way to stay cool....

Comments (9)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms, I love the color of Midnight Blue.

Great pic of Permanent Wave.

Looks like your dogs know how to rest on a hot day. Looks fun!

• inga007
    11 years ago

I'm amazed, so many of your blooms are so good looking in that heat.

Double knock out lives up to it's name, it really knock you out with it's neon color.

Thank you, for volunteering, we need more kind people, like you, everywhere.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's three more that opened this morning, but with the high heat, they'll prob fade by mid afternoon. So I thought I better capture them while I can! They are all still in one gallon pots ad in partial shade, so that may be helping a little, since they get a thorough watering every day.

The Nun

Lordly Oberon

Queen of Sweden

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Nice blooms and cute puppies!! Sounds like you're getting OUR normal summer temps. We're enjoying 80s and 90s instead of our usual 100-110 temps. Seasons seem to be changing due to the earth's axis shifting from all the natural disasters of the past several yrs. I think this is going to be the norm for us. Last summer we only had a couple of days in triple digits, whereas we normally have weeks and weeks total. This season I think we've had maybe two days so far. Makes for crispy critters, that's for sure!

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

What a fantastic variety of rose blooms Tammy, and the dogs look like they are having such FUN!!!! Little E loves her ball even when the weather is in the 100s, lol. But that's the nature of border collies, :P! Oh, Bless, the animals at the Shelter can really appreciate all your hard work for them!

Tammy, we too are getting recordbreaking heat as well, heat that's not been here for over a century as well. Beth, what makes us all roast in the Midwest is that we are landlocked, far away from the oceans. Where the oceans are at, at least coastal cities can get tons of coolness from summertime melting polar caps recirculating and cooling down the area. Here we have nothing but drought and terrible heat. I actually need to change my zone description too. I can grow teas now in my locale...that's how dramatic the weather change has been for us. I actually tried to change my zone a few times, but Gardenweb kicked out my changes. I will try once more. This thread reminded me to try again, lol!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Serenasyh, that's so true about the ocean breeze. I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and as hot as it would get, there was always a breeze. Here. its just hot, humid, and the air is still. Even my air conditioner isn't keeping up with the heat; I have it set on 72 and the house is 78. But, regardelss of breeze, anything in the triple digits is just unbearable!

Tammy

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Tammy, lol! I tried 8x more to change my description to "was 5/now Z 8-Kans" and other weird abbreviations to try to override my default setting of 5 Kansas, but Gardenweb refuses to listen, haha! It holds my description on my profile, but not! in the gallery...I tried everything to change it, but no luck, lol! Well, at least my roses can tell the difference, haha! They kept breaking dormancy the entire winter long, and several of them actually sent up several leaves and brand new stems in late February too, haha! To have fully developing leaves and roses increasing in height that early is in my eyes zone 8 for sure. The only good thing about having such an early season is that I can finally grow teas with impunity, lol! But boy do I miss snow, and so does Eluane :( I always need to see a change of seasons....

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Lovely roses, cute doggies and, most of all, your wonderful spirit in trying to help dogs at the shelter in what most have been very uncomfortable heat for you. You have all my respect.

Ingrid

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging comments about the animal shelter. It's been slow with adoptions lately, and its puppy/kitty season so the shelter is beyond capacity. We hate to turn them away, but since we're are no-kill we have to accept them based on space availability.

but anyway...the roses are my other passion, taking up about the same amount of time and care. Both hobbies are really worth the time and effort that you put into them. :)

Kate...I think I had to change my zone about 5 times before it stuck too. I really don't think I didn't anything different when it finally did update...hmm...quirky system isn't it?

Tammy