Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Check Out These Guys!

TNY78
11 years ago

Yet another week's worth of blooms uploaded to Photobucket :) Since its been so hot & dry many of mine are producing tiny little blooms not worth photographing, but here's a few that made the cut :)

Enjoy,

Tammy

Charles Darwin

Abraham Darby (this is his first bloom ever, and has a little bumble bee visitor)

Purple Tiger (second time I'm trying it, foliage is not looking great, but so far I love it when it blooms...key word: When)

The Dark Lady (a favorite and reliable Austin)

Ballet

Belinda's Dream

Diamond Eyes

Caramel Fairytale

Cancan CL = Healthy!

Pied Piper (can you believe this bloom is one week old! No fading or blowing!)

Dragon Wings (I only grow it for the thorns...and aren't they beauties?)

Fairmount Proserpine

{{gwi:1253148}}

Red Ridinghood

Golden Princess (notice the bloom behind it has been chomped on by japanese beetles...yep, they're here!)

Rayon Butterflies (my favorite Kim Rupert!)

Pomponella & coneflowers

Chirstopher Marlow

Ghislaine de Feligonde (this one is just for fun! It needs major mulching I know. I planted it last year and this year its starting to grow more. The one cane sprouting right in the middle and blooming just makes me laugh!)

Comments (12)

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Those are some great thorns!

Nice photos too

• inga007
    11 years ago

What an interesting collection of roses. Love the ballet and the thorns. Ghislaine has obviously decided to be a standard, very brave.......

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

What a beautiful and interesting collection.

I really like Purple Tiger!

Very nice coneflowers. I have a coneflower plant in a dry spot, a very tough plant, great summer plant.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

Ghislaine does seem to have a mind of her own doesn't she! We're going to have to have a talk about this growth habit...lol!

Krista, As pretty as Purple Tiger's blooms are, I really wouldn't recommend it. There's just too many negatives that outweigh her positive attributes. Its just too bad, because her colors are so unique :(

Tammy

• mzstitch
    11 years ago

Ghislaine de Feligonde is standing quite proud! Before reading your message I thought to myself, that must be what a tree rose looks like! How funny that one cane just took off like that! Great pictures.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Tammy, what a fun group of photos. I've never seen a "haunting" pink before, but your Ballet fits that description. Charles Darwin is stunning, Pied Piper - why don't we hear more about this rose - WOW. And GDF, I've never seen a rose with so much ... personality. Re: Purple Tiger, mine is in its first year, and it's about 1 1/2' tall with lots of blooms. So far super healthy. Hoping I get lucky and it doesn't resort to it's reputation for me because I sure do like it.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I totally agree that Ghislaine de Feligonde is trying to be a tree rose...but I have different plans for her!

Harmony, is Ballet pretty! I just got it as a band from Vintage this year and is now in a one gallon. I really don't go for pink HTs often, but I really like this one.

As for Pied Piper, thats another Vintage newbie, also in a one gallon. I'm really impressed with it so far! I'll have to see how it does over winter and in the grough though.

Good luck with Purple Tiger...maybe you got lucky :)

Tammy

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Tammy those are beautiful, Belinda's Dream is gorgeous ;D

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Don't know how I missed these lovely pictures, but I'm enjoying them belatedly. Such a gorgeous collection of roses--and I really like Pied Piper and Golden Princess.

Kate

• paulacummings
    11 years ago

Does anyone know how he would do in the hot Dallas summer? Been questing for a rose with this form and color.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Paula, Are you referring to Pied Piper? I'm not sure how he would do there, but so far he's off to a great start here in Tennessee. I'd imagine we have similar temperatures. I'll try to remember to report back at the end of summer with an update on how he did :) So far...a really spectacular rose!

Another one that is a really stand our for me in terms of rapid rebloom, long lasting blooms, and keeping a dark red color is Red Riding Hood Fairy Tale. That one is one the hottest side of my house and goes like the Energizer Bunny!

Tammy

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

oooooo, love that Purple Tiger. Great Thorns on Dragon Wings! Oh, your Belinda's Dream is lovely and makes me miss the one I killed! I left it in a pot during our winter as an experiment, and unlike my potted Frederic Mistral, BD keeled over, dead as a doornail. So far FM has weathered 2 of our winters unscathed and green to the tips. Hehe, wow, your Ghislainde is very impressive. I think you should make it into a "tree rose" anyway, lol! My friend Jay-Jay from the Netherlands has this absolutely GORGEOUS Ghislainde de Feligonde Standard. It is STUNNNING!

Ummmm, Tammy, that bee is not something to be happy about, unfortunately. That is the danged carpenter bee which will drill through wood. But I tolerate their presence so long as they don't chase away my honeybees. Some carpenter bees can get pretty territorial toward honeybees. Rose gardeners are constantly getting their carpenter bees mixed up with a true bumblebee. Anytime you see a striped fuzzy upper body, but a shiny black back, that is a carpenter bee.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz