Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Juno what ? Jardin awakening.......

boxofrox
9 years ago

Le jardin, the gift that just keeps giving.......once the labor has been invested, each season offers a new reward

Queen Elizabeth

William Shakespeare 2000

Darlowe's Enigma

AD First Flush Revisited

Braithwaite

Sheila's Perfume

The corner of walk and walk

Yet another Gertie

Comments (17)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Exquisite.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Wow!!! Abe must need more heat than we get here. I don't know, what it needed - but you sure know how to grow it!! Fantastic!!! Gorgeous!!!

What is the purple shrub near your walkway?

Sooooo pretty!!!
    Carol

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

These photos are so beautiful !!
    I hope you don't mind these stalkerish questions, but I've always admired your pictures. I do have a post of yours saved to my clipping and I was hoping you could update , and share some info . You had posted a lovely photo of your deck and trellis area and I believe it had social climber on it and some Clem's ? I would pull it up but I'm afraid I'll lose what I just typed.
    How have these filled out for you ? Did you build the trellis yourself ? I am thinking of something similar but under a tall deck. If you have updated pictures id love to see. I always love roses but I am drawn toward the structures they are on too ! Thanks ! :)

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Lilly. Thanks so much for your kind words :-) The pictures you refer to were of a deck and trellis I built for my wife's niece. Feces occurs unfortunately and I have no idea what has now become of it. My guess is that all my design work and labor was in vain and that it's thrashed. I did find the original pics on my photobucket tho so here's a couple. Every one of the crosses was pre-drilled and screwed.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Oh dear I'm sorry to bring up family stuff. Sorry your hard work has been lost! But you are a skilled craftsman for sure !!! What about around your home ?
    The picture of the deck showing the full perspective is great. My dh and I are closing on a home in a few weeks and I'd love to create a similar screen somewhere. I love climbers ! So you gotta have good structure for those !! Thank you for taking time to share pics and I love looking at all you post !!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know about the craftsman thang, I'm just a 'necessity is a mutha' kinda guy. I had tons of fence, several marginal property lines etc to cover and a fertile imagination. I have firethorns and honeysuckles and trumpet vines and clematis along with several rose climbers doing the duty.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Somehow I missed this one Boxo! Fantastic photos of your garden! :)
    Keep them coming!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Oh, boxo, I want to come live in your gorgeous garden!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Come to papa seil, you are welcome anytime. ;-)

It's funny tho....kinda like a "if you build it they will come thing". We received a gorgeous calico who came and now is the queen of the castle and the other night I actually saw a mating pair of either minks or ferrets who scampered through the pond area.

Here's a few fresh blooms to ease the chagrine of a blue, blue Monday.......

WS2000 and clems

Double Delight

A peony awakening

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Love the privacy/trellis. Question: do the small pieces on top of the parallel 2x4x (2x6s ?) serve a structural purpose? How did you decide on their spacing?

You really are a craftman!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When they first bought the house, I built them a larger version for privacy. It strategically blocked the windows of the neighbor directly behind them. I planted a special smaller dark purple wisteria on each end to grow over the top and mounted hooks for hanging baskets. Note the windows.....

It also picks up the design theme, here's a shot we took from down the street between them and the view we were trying to block.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Kudos. Great solution.

So the repeating top pieces are for design?

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

That first shot of Double Delight is STUNNING!!! I've never seen better.
    Wow!
    Hey, have you heard from Serena?
    Carol

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both for design and structure. They tie the whole thing together and make it quite sturdy. It's the same basic design I have throughout my garden whether it be pergola or bbq or hot tub cover or arbor or gated entrance.

Here's two of them here.....the gate which is only post wide and an arbor behind which is 3' wide with a Joseph's Coat over it.

This was just to get some height in an existing bed with tree roots....so I built this just to hang 4 Chinese wind chimes ;-)

This is the BBQ, the pond pergola, and the hot tub cover, all variations on the same theme.

Sorry, the pond perg is buried under this wisteria.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Thanks Boxofrox. Where are the dogs? I remember the picture of one on your back as you gardened. Love your unique gates with the circles & suns.

• serenasyh
    9 years ago

Boxo, how wonderful to see you here! KG the Stalker is back and perfectly timed for her first viewing of your gorgeously fabulous Abraham D'Arby. And your garden looks AMAZING as always! Jim has notified me about your struggles family-wise alas, but the Good Lord brings all healing in time, but it is no solace while the wounds still run deep, but in Him we have Peace and all things will be brought to the Light eventually. Just as gardens still hold sway and bloom in His Light, there is always hope! I cannot stay, but am lingering for just one last look!
    Eluane wants to say hi to you too and to tell you about our sneaky adventure when we broke into a city garden. The gardeners let us on through but when the head honcho manager saw us, we got chased out, and that was FUN causing all that hoopla! So happy that now everyone at Gallery can now enjoy your future postings. So keep on posting! Jim will keep me up-to-date if you are online. I am keeping touch with a few rose gardeners via Facebook! But to all others - Carol, Beth, Organic Dreams, many cheers and blessings, we've missed you all!

Can't resist showing the garden we got thrown out of! bwahahaha (evil cackle)

Cheers and hugs, Boxo!

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Eluane is looking good!

Borders are so well behaved that the flowers won't mind a few extra visitors. :)
    Carol