Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

What's bloomin' now

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

Been trying to get some yard work done. Lots of weeding and deadheading to do. But despite the mess, there are some pretties blooming today...

APERITIF - just got potted up to a bigger pot this fall; lookin' good, and more yellow than usual
{{gwi:1253487}}

BLACK BACARRA - lookin' reeeeeally "black!"
{{gwi:1253488}}

CITY OF WELLAND
{{gwi:1253489}}

DEBORAH MONCRIEF - unfortunately not one of my favorite roses, and probably going to get donated to our rose society at some point..
{{gwi:1253490}}

DOLORES HOPE - one of my favorite hot pinks... love that spiral
{{gwi:1196463}}

GOLDEN FREELANDER
{{gwi:1253491}}

GRAND AMORE - fast becoming my favorite red
{{gwi:1198914}}

HONDO - lookin' all sunburnt
{{gwi:1253492}}

JOLLY ROGER - a cute, obscure little florrie I got at HD or Lowe's quite a few yrs ago
{{gwi:1197885}}

KATHRYN MCGREDY - in her just-opening stage
{{gwi:1253493}}

LUSCIOUS - OMG this picture does not do this bloom justice. It was the most beautiful bloom I've ever seen on this plant! Hard to get the color and contrast right on it because it's so BRIGHT! And to think, I almost sp'd it!
{{gwi:1205342}}

SHADOW DANCER CL - love that spiral too
{{gwi:284352}}

SOUTINE - beauty amongst the weeds
{{gwi:284358}}

STARSHIP miniflora
{{gwi:1253494}}

SWEET AKITO - florist rose

VARIETY CLUB - a cute little thing I got from Hortico several yrs ago.
{{gwi:1204846}}

and some non-roses:

Gerbera Daisy

Lily POLLYANNA

Comments (11)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Black Baccara look that dark! Beautiful! I also really like deep golden Starship!

Its funny that you got your Jolly Roger at Lowes or HD. I got mine this year from Vintage. I'll have to look in their catalog and see where there mother plant came from :)

Tammy

• inga007
    10 years ago

Lovely, delightful, as always.

With so many different roses, you still have room for non-roses too.
    Thank you, for all your posts.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Those are some great shots Beth! I've been wondering about
    Grand Amore! :)

What does the entire bush look like Beth? Thanks

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Lovely....I especially like Aperitif! Thanks for sharing! Lesley

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

I'm heading over to helpmefind to learn more about that Grand Amore, a very pretty red rose! Deborah Moncreaf is very pretty, what's not to like, that was one of my favorite roses on your page before I read your words.

• dove_song
    10 years ago

Oh, lots of really, really, nice looking roses here, Beth! And as Inga007 told you they are lovely and delightful, as always. Thanks sooo much for sharing your charming bounty of roses with us over the years. Off to HMF to look up DOLORES HOPE. I truly love many of the hot pink roses, and that spiral just 'takes the cake!!!'

This post was edited by dove_song on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 21:16

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tammy, I noticed Vintage listed JOLLY ROGER awhile back. That was the first time I'd ever seen it offered even before I found mine. It wasn't on their list in the past as even having the rose. I'm wondering if they found it at HD or Lowe's too?! LOL It's funny what older roses show up there on occasion.

Thanks Inga. Yeah, I do have lots of non-roses. In fact, way too many. I'm digging out a lot of perennials that I've planted over the yrs because some have become too invasive.

Jim, GRAND AMORE is in a 16-18" pot. The plant has gotten pretty big. It's about 3ft wide and over 4ft high. I imagine if it were in the ground it'd be even bigger.

Lesley I'm lovin' APERITIF. I waited for years for Vintage to finally offer it not as a custom root. It's been kinda slow growing, but I'm sure now it will take off.

Mzstitch, DEBORAH MONCRIEF is a decent rose. It's just that, there were two versions, the other being the McGredy rose DEBORAH BEGGS MONCRIEF, which was what I thought I was getting. That rose was an red-orange with yellow reverse. It's one of those Hortico roses that they listed the rose and showed the wrong version. I should've known, since this one is the Williams version, and Hortico intro'd a lot of his roses. The color is similar to another rose I find rather boring, SONIA. And I planted it in my red & yellow bed, so it looks out of place. The plant gets huge, like 4ftx6ft and is pretty thorny. With all the roses I have that need to get in the ground, it just makes sense to get rid of it. Someone in our rose society will enjoy having it I'm sure.

Dove-song, DOLORES HOPE is one of the Weeks roses only available from Armstrong Nurseries. I think I got mine way back when they did mail order for a couple of yrs there. Too bad they don't still do so. They have quite a lot of roses only available from them. I know there are a few very nice people here on the forums who have been kind enough to go pick up some of those roses at bare root time, and ship to others across the country. There aren't any Armstrong Nurseries near me. They're all down south.

• katefisher
    10 years ago

All very lovely. I enjoyed those greatly. Aperitif took my breath away though. So perhaps available from Vintage? I have to check. Just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing those with us Beth.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Soutine - Wow!!!! So beautiful. Love it!! Want it!!
    :)
    Carol

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

oh dear, this set off my rose obsession again. Thanks Beth.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

A really beautiful collection, Beth! Love that soft color on Aperitif! And Shadow dancer is gorgeous!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!