Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Slipping Into Summer

boxofrox
12 years ago

What a glorious first day to summer, temps in the low 80's and if only for a day we can imagine that some sort of normalcy has returned to our weather...........unless one looks to the upcoming forecast :-( But alas we have today and the marvelous gift of joy that is our garden in bloom. I hope this is the beginning to what my wife tries to recreate every year and that is a new BEST SUMMER EVER. Here's to all our gardening dreams, thanks for looking and have a great day !!!!!

This is my favorite time of year....the first full glorious flush of the Honorable Abraham Darby (100+ blooms). This sequence is dedicated to my favorite stalker, my favorite Canuck and my favorite romantic....KG, Carol, and Juliet ;-)

{{gwi:1253556}}

{{gwi:1253557}}

{{gwi:1253558}}

{{gwi:1253559}}

{{gwi:1253560}}

{{gwi:1253561}}

LD Braithwaite and Abe Darby

Betty Boop

White Eden

Gertrude Jekyll

Sorbet Peony

Comments (16)

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

oooo, Wowza, Wowza, Wowwwwwwza!!!! what a GLORIOUS SHOW, Boxo!!!! Yaaaaaayhoooooza! The beginning of a Hundred Rose Parade from A.D!!!! so exciting!!!! The Best of the Best at the head of the Line....Too bad my maddingly scentless but vigorous Jules Climber has none of L.D. Braithwaite's wonderful scent! Yup, it's a maddening irony to have a climber that climbs great and stays a true deep red and stays green in zone 5 winters, but smells disgusting, lol! Jules was rated intensely fragrant by the hybridizer, but BLEEEECH, no scent save for plastic, lol! Then I look at your L.D. and next Gertrude Jekyll, and immediately imagine that raspberry sweetness from Gertrude! Just looking at her lovely photo makes me think FRAGRANCE when I saw her at a local nursery in 2009 and 2010. Now if only I could encounter a blooming D'Arby at a nursery that would be Divine!!!! Hip-Hip Hooooray for D'Arby, the most Spectacular of Roses!

I love the Sorbet Peony too, Boxo. So soft and romantic!

• dove_song
    12 years ago

Oh, Boxo, what a glorious tribute to our beloveds--KC, Carol, and Juliet!!! :-D It was a magnificent first day of summer, here in Spokane, as well. And yes, here's to all of our gardening dreams. May this be a new BEST SUMMER EVER for everyone!!!!!

Sending love and hugs to your wife and you!!! :-D

• dove_song
    12 years ago

Oops, KG, I did mean you!!! That's what I get for trying to type at night with the lights dimmed. :P Hugs, girl!!! :-D

• lesmc
    12 years ago

What a beautiful message...The Best Summer, Ever! I`m for that!! Your roses are so beautiful. Our first bloom was ruined by rain, so I`m especially enjoying your pictures. Abe is glorious. Thanks, so much. Lesley

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks dove, it's funny how life is sometimes. As I recall looking back to where TBSE originated I was nearing the homestretch in my garden construction. Wife had an excellent paying job that she couldn't seem to leave behind every night and I had a little piece of heaven I slaved for 8 years to build that I didn't want to share with her tales of the employment crypt. So I gave her two options and she chose to take the summer off and look for a new job afterwards. She had TBSE and I had peace in Shangrila....a win win :-) She ended up with a rewarding job that paid a lot less but gave her summers off and thus...........

Thank you and you are welcome Lesley. I dedicated the Abe sequence to them three because the first two love AD and the third is thinking of rekindling her lost love :-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Hey Boxofrox- Your roses are lookin gooood! ;-)

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim, ain't it funny what a little sun will do ?

• le_jardin_of_roses
    12 years ago

My darling Boxo, I am honored by the dedication of this beautiful thread by you. I truly love your photos and there is some pretty eye candy here. I especially love your Abraham Darby, White Eden and Gertrude Jekyll. It's really nice to see the blue sky behind the roses too.

I am elated that summer is awakening in your part of the country. Now we can see your garden on this site, all season long. I hope your summer turns out to be very special for you and I know your garden will continue to shine. I thank you once more for your kindness in sharing your garden with me. Always a pleasure!

Juliet

• phatboyrose
    12 years ago

I don't know how it can't be a perfect Summer with roses like these.Bring on the sun so we can enjoy more of these Beauties.
    Harold

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have three very special ladies at the retirement center that I've been waiting to make smile............

Dar who prefers oranges and yellows

Sally who was married to Abraham who loves AD

Wanda who loves all things floral

• queenbee_1
    12 years ago

OMG--these are beautiful! Your arrangements look like paintings... P.S. I love your peonies..

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks......tis a labor of love :-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Boxofrox your Bouquets look fantastic!

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Awww, Dovesong that is such a sweet thing to say. And many hugs back to you!

Lesley, yes, Boxo and I know all about Rain frustrations. And the worst part is a new kind of thrips came to my garden from the rainy weather. It used to be that I got a different type of thrips that only attacked mature blooms, but now these thrips are divebombing the buds so that none will open and they are attacking the tender leaves of baby bands. Heck, they even attack my clover too. I didn't recognize the damage before, I mistook it for rain balling (for the buds) and heat damage shriveling and veining until I accidentally stumbled on a chili thrips image link which are identical to the leaf and bud damage I am getting. But thank GOD they don't like the hot pepper wax spray or else I'd be screwed! Lesley, you might want to check the Google image links on chili thrips. They may be the ones which are damaging your bud. I read online that their population explodes in rainy climates.

Boxo, as you can tell, seeing your Best Summer Ever is such a refuge and delight away from Kansas Summer Nightmare, lol! But you also brought a bit of sunshine luck our way! Eluane is now happy to be out playing.

And what a Sweetheart, Boxo with these new beau-to-the-tee bouquets! So Magnificent and Heavenly to see! and Grandma Sally knows a Treasure from Abe-to-Abe. Rosey smiles to lovely Sally! :)

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Wow!! I must have missed this post earlier. I can't believe I'm saying this - but your White Eden took my breath away with more oomph than did your Abraham Darby. Who would have thought the Abe could be dethroned by one picture. LOL

I adore your peonies. Peonies are just incredible flowers. Thank you for showing us this beauty!!

Your bouquets are sumptuous as ever. Sigh. :)

This Canuck thanks you immensely!!

Carol

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Wow, incredible bouquets and peonies, lovely arrangements.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer