Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

My name is Wood, Munstead Wood (and a few more Austins)

I can just see someone introducing himself in the manner of agent 007, James Bond with a line like that, but until that happens, here is a preliminary picture of Munstead Wood in a pot with its first flowers:

I was out in a thunderstorm trying to photograph this first bloom on St. Cecilia before it could get rain-trashed:

This is one off my grafted Happy Child. It actually tries to make it. My own-root one can't seem to get over about 5 inches tall even after about 5 years.

In a true heroic effort to come back after that horrid Easter freeze of '07, Swan began to put out some nice sprays looking like this:

I hope you like these. Let me know what you think.

Comments (18)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

I well remember the freeze of 07. So nice to see your rose is recovering. Munstead Wood is on my long list. Great to see a picture of it. I hope info on it keeps coming as to bush growth habit (no octopus arms I hope), disease resistance etc.

• monarda_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful.

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Lol, The Bustopher, I like your clever introduction - it gave me quite a pleasant giggle! Love your Munstead Wood and all the others. Boy, I miss my St. Cecilia! Got addicted to it's scent and lovely blooms. :P

Thanks, and have a great day! :)
    Debbie

• markiz37
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Thank you.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Great roses but I do love Munstead Wood----what a beauty

Florence

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Nice. MUNSTEAD WOOD is fast becoming one of my favorite DAs. Hard to capture the exact color. It's soo intensely dark plum-purple. You really have to see it in person to truly appreciate it. I like your SWAN. It's lovely!

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

the_bustopher -

Could you tell me if your St Cecilia bloom profusely or sporadically? Judging by your first photo, Munstead Wood appears to bloom better than St.Cecilia.

Thanks

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

All beautiful... but that SWAN... Oweeeeeee!! Gorgeous!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last year both varieties were first-year plants. Both bloomed reasonably well all growing season once they got going. I have two Munstead Woods. One started in the pot as shown, and the other went in the ground. Both did about equally well although the one in the pot did a little better. This will be their second growing season with all three plants in the ground. I am hoping they will do at least as well or better and that the flowers will be a little larger.

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

How exciting to see spring roses again. Love that MW. All of them look great, though.

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!! Munstead Wood is gorgeous. I have to get that rose!! How is it for fragrance?

I love all of your roses - but Munstead Wood is in a class by itself - love the color and shape!!!

Carol

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Munstead Wood has a good, solid fragrance. The pictures I have of it do not do it justice. There is some seasonal color variation. This is another picture of it late in the fall.

Again, the pictures from my camera do not do either this rose or other dark reds to purples justice, but you can get a general idea. The color on this year's David Austin catalog cover showing Munstead Wood is pretty close to actual. I am hoping this year will have some better flowers.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

Does Munstead Wood reveal its yellow 'thing' (can't think of the word) at the center?

So many Austins. Hard to choose: Princess Alexandra of kent or Munstead wood or claire Austin.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whether or not Munstead Wood reveals its yellow pistil at the center depends on its petal count, and that can vary some with the temperature during the flower's formation. I need a better look at my plants before venturing a better answer on this matter.

As to the other Austins on you r list, I can say that Claire Austin has nice, white flowers, but the stems are rather thin. I am not growing Princess Alexandra of Kent at this time.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Swan is soo tempting.

• katefisher
    13 years ago

I have not ordered or purchased even one rose yet this but Munstead Wood really catches my fancy. How have you found the rebloom to be? Thank you.

Kate

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My first year Munstead Woods both repeated fairly regularly. If the weather is hot, the flowers do not last a long time, but it continues to bloom. I have good hopes for this variety.

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. This winter was so seemingly endless that it wasn't until yesterday that I was able to really get out and evaluate some of the roses and do some trimming. I have a couple of casualties out there for sure and a few more than are still alive but maybe just not tough enough to keep trying with. And I just love the images of this rose. Gorgeous. Amazing but true, I also still have a pile of snow in the yard:)

Kate

Kate