Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_perry_gw

What disease is this?

jill_perry_gw
11 years ago

I looked online, and saw similar canes where the site said it was blackspot. I've never before noticed a rose where the canes had blackspot, and the foliage was fine.

Jill

Comments (6)

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I'm not an expert, but it looks like canker....although black spot can present on the canes as well.

Tammy

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Looks like canker to me too, Jill.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

At this time of year I'd have to agree with canker. I have seen blackspot present like that coming out of winter in the very early spring but not that I know of mid-season. If it were blackspot at this time of year it would show all over those leaves already.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses.
    OK, so what should be done about it? I can't spray for it. Should I remove the affected parts and see if there is any plant left? Should I just try to find another of the rose (Country Living)? Are some roses more suseptible to canker than others? TIA
    Jill

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Jill,
    i am in agreement with everyone else,..i would surely say it is Canker,..which is a Fungal Disease,..there are a few species of Canker plus a similar one called "Black Saddle",..yours appears to be brown from your picture.

What to do,..well i would cut off most of the diseased canes and burn them,..do not leave them in the garden seeing its a fungal disease,.then i would douse the remainder of the canes with an Anti Fungal Spray,..i make up my own sprays but you can Google for "Anti Fungal Home Made Mix/Spray",..if you want you can purchase a spray,..the same spray against "Black Spot",..will do.

I would certainly try to save the rose bush,..and it can be saved and taken back to full health.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Jill, I had (I think) about 5 this spring that had canker pretty badly. I cut back the canes as far as I could, and 3 of them survived, while 2 did not (well, one of the two is sort of hanging on but I think its getting shovel pruned shortly...)

As for Country Living, when I purchased it this spring, I think that Hortico was the only nursery offering it. Of course, there's mixed opinions about them, but I placed my first order from them for this past spring and everything went fine.

Tammy

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone