Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

Mass planting of Livin' Easy

pappu
17 years ago

I have a bed with 8 Livin' easy right on the front lawn and of all my roses, this is the bed that everyone gravitates to. A mass of shimmering orange and constantly in bloom, it is striking and a traffic stopper. For some reason, people (or should I say, non-gardeners) find orange roses fascinating and when they see a profusion of rich orange blooms, they stop right there! They walk past my Austins, Eden, Rugosas and other favourites, but they all stop and stare at the Livin' easy bed! A great rose and everyone should have it. It rivals Knockout in blooming power, vigor and disease resistance. I had to cut them back 75% in spring, but they are easily 5 ft now. Tall, upright and bushy in habiy, the glossy, deep green foliage sets off the rich orange blooms. Has a mild scent, but with so many blooms, there is a wafting scent around the bed. (unlike KO or carefree wonder which have no detectable scent, no matter how many hundreds of blooms they have). Well, to make a long story short, everyone needs to have this rose! (in multiples) :-)

It is not a cutting rose, though. Very short stems on extremely thorny canes. Pics from this spring. They are much taller now...

{{gwi:260388}}

Comments (40)

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Wow! Those sure knock my socks off. I love your mass plantings, you have some beautiful roses and take excellent care of them.

Jen

• msrose
    17 years ago

Okay, I have got to know if there's anything besides Alfalfa tea that you give your roses? I don't have a single rose bush that compares to any of yours as far as the number of blooms it has. I'm simply amazed every time you post a picture.

Laurie

• ramblinrosez7b
    17 years ago

One word.....WOW! That is simply gorgeous.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

I'm a gardener but I love orange roses too! Beautiful mass planting, it looks fabulous.

• msjacki
    17 years ago

Beautiful!!! I don't think it's a gardener/non-gardener debate over color....it's individual tastes. I'm a gardener and I LOVE oranges, yellows and reds!! I've never got that "WOW" factor with any pastel.

• carla17
    17 years ago

I would stop and go straight to the bed too. What a mass of orange splendor Pappu!! Come to think of it, all of your roses always look superb.

Carla

• liane_z4_canada
    17 years ago

It is stunning. Wow just beautiful.
    Liane

• aswhad
    17 years ago

Sure they're not begonias ? hehe
    Splendid show, takes me back to Westbroekpark where they also have some massive exploding with flowers beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: info westroekpark

• patricianat
    17 years ago

It is a great rose, both Living Easy and its sister, Easy Going.

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ashwad, Westbroekpark looks like my kind of park. All of my roses are in multiples, ranging from 3 to 14! My garden is broad strokes of different mono-colors, no mixing of colors or plants! I know that many dont like this, but I wouldnt plant any other way...

• roselover_nj
    17 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. You are an inspiration! Could you post a picture of your entire garden?

• msmisk
    17 years ago

I was given Easy Going as a gift this spring, which I love, and I can see I need Livin' Easy too.
    In multiples.
    Texas Carol

• tatiana_il
    17 years ago

Absolutely stunning display of color, pappy!
    I have "Livin' Easy" hedge as well running along my garage deck. I do not favor bights and this is only one bright orange rose in my whole garden, it seemed to me impossible to combine that bright orange with other colors.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

That is awesome. You done great!

• teka2rjleffel
    17 years ago

Wow, makes me want to rip out my mixed colors and start over. An inspiration and I'm not even an orange person. Thanks,
    Nancy

• teka2rjleffel
    17 years ago

I reread your post. I can't believe that there are only 8 plants in there. How far did you space them? Thanks,
    Nancy

• sumzie
    17 years ago

Pappu, I LOVE IT!...those luminous oranges! True what you say about orange roses - the first to draw attention in my garden.

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

my eyes.... MY EYES!!! I am blind!! j/k Pappu.

What an amazing display. Nothing in my yard has ever looked like that. It makes me wonder if I did the right thing my intermixing my roses as opposed to planting in groups. Every time you post a pic I stop to wonder if I need to move things. That is so amazing.

I agree with the earlier post. May we see more...

PLEASE!!

Ronda

• floribarbara
    17 years ago

OH...MY...GOSH!!! Do you ever have cars wreck as they drive by from looking? :)
    Beautiful!

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! This is one rose that I would not be without!
    Nancy, I planted them 3 feet apart and they have filled in nicely. Now I cannot reach the ones in the center for deadheading and other chores! Nothing that beats the beautiful orange of Livin easy. There are other oranges that can be gaudy and in your face(like my hedge of mandarin sunblaze), but not livin easy...it is very classy! Looks very high maintainence, but is a work horse of a rose..

• mary_lu_gw
    16 years ago

Thank you pappu!!! I purchased this rose last year (2006) all because of the pictures you posted of it!

I haven't seen you posting this spring (maybe I missed it?) but I wanted to say a BIG thank you. I am loving this rose. We purchased 3 from Great Lakes roses on our road trip last year. They were somewhat hesitant about it being fully hardy for us, but we decided to take the chance. We did not baby it over winter and it is in an exposed area. Did die back quite a bit, but so did my more "hardy" roses. That April cold spell we had really did a number on the roses. However, LE has bounced back. See for yourself.

How I wish we had planted more of LE and less of Morden Fireglow. This bed has 3 LE and 11 MF. I love the MF bloom, but last year the buds seldom opened fully. I am hoping for better this year. So far a few of the MF have started to open.
    Marylu
    {{gwi:1255248}}
    {{gwi:1255251}}
    Again a BIG THANK YOU!

• carla17
    16 years ago

I sure do miss Pappu and his pictures too. He grows Sweet Chariot I think and that is one reason I bought some. Pappu, I hope you're doing fine.

Carla

• kale2
    15 years ago

There is just no way! Unbelievable!
    Beautiful! I care for many and Easy Going & "Easy Living" Is it the same rose just called by a reversed name?
    They simply are not the same color!
    Where did you get your roses?
    Who is the breeder? Is it Harkness?

I think I have a nice bed for them. Can I order from the place you bought them!??
    Are they just from 2008?
    I'm in MI.
    I have a pic or 2 but don't know how to post pics in this forum format.

Just beautiful!
    Excellent work!

Kale:)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Gorgeous as always Pappu. This was one of my first roses that started me on this madness. It is such a beautiful shade of orange. Mine tend to get tall here in the south so I think I will hard prune this spring after the first flush and see how tall they get.

Kale, Living Easy and Easy Going are two different plants. I love them both. I bought my Living Easy in 2007 and my Easy Going this year because I loved the Living Easy so much. I know they are on some good mail order sites but i'm sure Pappu will let you know where to get them. I got mine at a local nursery.

• mysteryrose
    15 years ago

Kale:
    I recently ordered Easy Going from Chamblee's.

• dlw0221_msn_com
    13 years ago

I live in a senior mobile home park and don't have much room left for more roses; all the best sun spots are full with about 12 mixed roses but my neighbor has only 1 LE and I have to get some. How much sun do they need; I have a place with morning sun. I have hibiscus which bloom there but I would happily take them out to get these roses.
    Thanks,
    Dana

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

I grow Livin' Easy in hot, dry Phoenix area and it is an amazing plant. Blooms in incredible flushes year round (except summer here). Amazing that it grows so well in such different climates! Mine gets full sun but would probably do ok with morning sun only.

• boxofrox
    13 years ago

The Wall of Easy (Livin Easy, Easy Goin and Eureka)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Oh Boxo - that's stunning!! I like the mix of colors even more than just the orange. They go so well together, especially since the shape of the bush and branches and flower shapes all look the same. What a treat!! Wow I wish I had that look in my yard.

Somebody should tell Serena that you posted!! LOL

Wow!!

Carol

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

The Wall is looking good Boxofrox!

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Carol, Jim helped keep me on target :D As soon as I got back from my freelance meetings with 2 clients, I opened up my email, and bless, I got Jim's email and am doing my Rah-rah cheers for Boxo's garden being on our Gallery once again. I am realllllllllllly looking forward to his 2011 photos too! My email is actually late since I just arrived home, but am very thrilled that people will get to see Boxo's garden again.
    Boxo has a very spectacular Livin' Easy Wall, and that's how I got Jim to get Livin' Easy too. Jim and Sue love vivid colors and I had sent him links to Boxo's garden from way back. Carol, I am also happy to hear that you finally had the chance to bring your roses out. Cheers to this! and Cheers to you, Boxo!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Gosh just had another look - wow!!!!

Hi Serena - :)

Carol

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Interesting- this pic was just added to pintrest

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic on pintrest

• BIZKIT123
    10 years ago

I definitely am going to buy one for my collection! Now I am convinced! :) Your flowers are sooooo beautiful

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I can't get over the "Wow" factor. I have a chance to buy this rose. I need to dig somewhere to put it in.

• Lisa Adams
    8 years ago

I agree! All I keep saying is "WOW". I am working my way through Pappu's old posts and pictures of his front and back yard. I've never seen anything like it. I didn't know roses could bloom so heavily. Amazing!

• asimej
    7 years ago

I bought 3 of these roses over the weekend and was wondering where and how to place them. You just game an idea. Beautiful.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Wonder whatever happened to pappu(z5 IL)... ???? Last I heard he/she moved to another location but I never heard anything new since...

• Sandra - Sunset Zone 2- USDA 5b
    7 years ago

Thanks for resurrecting this 'everyone's favorite' from long ago. I often think of Pappu's outstandingly lovely rose beds. I did find an old post a while back in which Pappu indicated that the house was sold and that there was not a place for many roses in the new digs. But perhaps I remember wrong. I sometimes look up these old posts fro inspiration, though.