Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Beauty amongst the ruins

bethnorcal9
11 years ago

I still haven't gotten much cleaning up done. No time. There's weeds to be yanked, deadheads to be chopped, pine needles and leaves to be raked out of the beds, and on and on. I'm lucky to get watering done. The blooms still keep coming, despite the mess. So... please ignore the yuck in the background! LOL

DOUBLE PERFECTION

{{gwi:1255403}}

GEORGE BURNS

{{gwi:1255404}}

JADE

{{gwi:1197322}}

MEREDITH

{{gwi:1255405}}

OKSANA

{{gwi:1255406}}

PEARL ESSENCE

{{gwi:1255407}}

PERFUME TIGER

{{gwi:1255408}}

PURPLE TIGER

{{gwi:1255410}}

POLYNESIAN SUNSET

{{gwi:1255412}}

ROSE GAUJARD

{{gwi:1255413}}

SCANDIA

{{gwi:1255414}}

SHI-UN

{{gwi:1255415}}

And here's a little beauty sitting on the deadheads. She sat there waiting for me to take her pic, then took off to see who was stealing from "her" feeder.

{{gwi:1255416}}

Comments (10)

• inga007
    11 years ago

Always something new and fresh.
    I love ROSE GAUJARD'S companion, Monarda (bee balm)
    SCANDIA looks like it was made of thin porcelain.
    The Purple tiger has spots.
    I have a hard time getting photos of butterflies, yet alone a Hummer.
    Nice.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

All I saw was a lot of pretty blooms and lots of color! Love that spray of George Burns!

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Normally when I see a list of roses, one or two catch my eye. But in your list, a handful really turn my crank, so to speak, that I've never seen - Jade, Polynesian Sunset, Rose Guajard. Then even more-so - I LOVE purple/lavendar roses. Is your Scandia really that grayish/lavendar like Stainless Steel and Sterling Silver? Is it fragrant? Then Shi-un - it is stunning. Fragrance? I've never seen it mentioned in lists of purple roses. Then Pearl Essence may well be my favorite. What a gorgeous collection - wow.

• mzstitch
    11 years ago

Polynesian sunset really caught my eye too. Oh and that beautiful hummingbird rose! lol. Thanks for the pictures!

• kathy9norcal
    11 years ago

I don't look for messy gardens or houses. I just look at the roses and yours look very happy and very beautiful. How did they survive the recent very high temps? Mine crisped nicely!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Your roses look great. Shi-un is a pretty, pretty color. I'd love to see that planted next to Polynesian Sunset.
    Renee

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Really like your George Burns! Also the two Tiger roses...very nice! I'm trying Purple Tiger for the second time this year, and its not doing well again. Maybe its just not suited for Tennessee.

Also, the little hummer is adorable! I used to have tons of them, and the last couple of years there haven't been as many...I miss them.

Tammy

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Well, your "ruins" are for us like tourists enjoying their vacation in Rome, haha! Gorgeous and love your Shi-Un and Tigers (both) Wonderful to see more of your Oksana. Cute hummingbird!

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Oh Beth...just beautiful! Your roses are always a treat for me. I just love George Burns and I have no idea why it is not in my garden. I must do something about this!! Thanks for sharing your garden with us. lesley

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry guys I've been busy workin'.

Thanks Inga. The monarda is interesting. I planted a lot of it several yrs ago, but this one is the only one that really comes back very well. I dunno why PURPLE TIGER did the white spotty thing. Kinda interesting isn't it?

Thanks Seil! Poor GEORGE BURNS has to compete with that horrible Bermuda grass. That area out there is engulfed in it. I don't know what I'm going to do to get rid of it. My husband says we should dig out all the roses and get in there and annihilate the Bermuda grass. But it would be way too much work. We'll just have to keep trying to yank it out the best we can. "We?"... What am I sayin'? I mean "I" will have to do it. Like he comes out and helps me...

Harmonyp, SCANDIA is a gorgeous rose. It's one from Certified Roses. I've had it for many yrs. It really is a beautiful pale lavender and sometimes gets a hint of ruby at the edges.

Thanks Mzstitch. POLYNESIAN SUNSET really is a nice rose. I got it from Vintage many yrs ago, and it's taken a long time to establish. I love it when it blooms!

Kathy, you should see all the brown, "crispy critters" all over the yard! LOL OMG, they're just fried. Most of these pics I take in the early morning, and by late afternoon, they're pretty much toast! Gotta love summer!! LOL

Renee, those two would look great together! I actually have a bed that's themed in mauves and corals. It is a striking combo.

Tammy, PURPLE TIGER is not a very easy rose to grow. Mine never gets very big. I've had it since the yr it came out. I had it in a pot for the first few yrs, and it didn't do much better. It always seems to die back a lot and regrows. Stays about 1ft. Ya know, come to think of it, it actually did do better in the pot. Maybe I should dig it up and re-pot it. As for the hummers, I never really had very many in yrs past. It's taken a long time to get them to come here. And now they just fight over the feeder. I tried putting up another feeder, but none of them would go to it. They always fight over the first one. They're funny.

Thanks Serena and Lesley!