Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

a hilarious song/pic for Boxofrox from Eluane

serenasyh
14 years ago

Here is my Eluane, I was going to actually title it according to an Generation X pop song that fashion models use to dance to along the runways. The lyrics of the song go like this:

"I'm a model you know what I mean

And I do my little turn on the catwalk

Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah

I do my little turn on the catwalk

I'm too sexy for my car too sexy for my car

Too sexy by far

And I'm too sexy for my hat

Too sexy for my hat what do you think about that"

Well, I was going to change the lyrics to this from Eluane's viewpoint about the huge hubaloo I made over my Fragrant Cloud's very first flush of the season (was so thrilled because it was a bare-branched bare root when I received it)

And here is my Eluane's expression that hey! I'm much! prettier by far!

And this is what Eluane seems to be saying with those flirty eyesÂ

"IÂm a model you know what I mean

And I do my little turn on the dogwalk

Yeah on the dogwalk on the porchwalk yeah

I do my little turn on the dogwalk

IÂm too sexy for the tree rose, too sexy for the tree rose

Too sexy, oh cant you see

And IÂm too sexy for the roses

Too sexy for the roses whaddya think of that"

Comments (55)

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

and unlike the watering situation, I would be out in your garden alllll day! enjoying your roses and doing the watering thing... LOL! sounds like the perfect bed-and-breakfast retreat! and oh, I am very obsessed with your roses, LOL! they would be the ones complaining, yes, she is watering and feeding us but Boxofrox make her STOP smelling us all day long, for heavens sake, we need a break! LOL! Eluane is so gentle and loves other dogs, too, sigh! she would love to play with your pups.

Jim, LOL! Eluane is terrified of Cats, she is such a chicken and will scream in terror (which is so embarrassing to have such a chicken border collie)! she would be the one hiding in the box, LOL! On the other hand she is a terrific agility dog and rabbit herder... She tries to herd the rabbits but always stops at the end of my yard. I do wish she'd kill the rabbits, though, but alas! she is too gentle.

Anyway, welcome, Jim... I am a permanent stalker of Boxofrox and JeffAurora and can spend all day obsessing over their roses...Jeff though is on vacation and I miss his photos too...Be sure to get the pets with the roses! they bring such fun character to our gardens... It's wonderful seeing dogs and kitties together as one happy family...when Ellie was a tiny pup she loved to window-watch an apartment kitty and they'd greet each other, but when she grew up, I don't know what in the heck happened but she suddenly decided to be terrified of them...

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

That picture of Eluane is perfection and goes perfect with your song. LOL. I'll try and capture my pets on camera outdoors with the roses.
    Have a great day!

14 years ago

Hi Serenasyh,

I put some more info and pics on my thread called "just getting started" check out sometime when you get the chance. Thanks!

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

it's a great read and quite the contrast to my hack/slash horror stories! hahahaha! I had to give the link to you, too, about some of the horrors that I've committed as a first-time gardener...Anyway, I love the colors of your Platinum Beauty! All the roses look healthy and strong!

14 years ago

Hi, we decided here to take it slow at first. I can see myself if I would of planted many roses at once. All chopped off to the ground.LOL

Precious Platinum will grow to between 4 1/2 ft to 5 1/2 ft tall by 3 ft wide. Last year it was almost 4 ft high and I chopped it down to 8 inches from the ground this past Spring. The canes were very thick, but, I thought the reddish color on them meant it was dead...LOL...This rose bush the canes stay a reddish color for a couple years. I thought all rose canes should be green in color. Guess some are not....LOL

14 years ago

Hi,

Not sure how your weather has been, but, here we have been getting Spring weather, even though it's summmer. Last night got down to 49 degrees. How's that for summer mid July weather...LOL. Been like this all summer so far. Our hottest day has been 81 degrees, mostly staying in the 70's.

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Jim, the weather hit an "accidental" cool spell over the days surrounding this weekend... Usually Kansas summer weather is very intense! we get blazing sun which roasts our roses into pouffy cabbage flowers and changes the color of our roses...

Here is an example that I previously posted...as you can tell, the heat warped the shape of my Lincolns and changed their colors to pinky-red...

Thanks to the sudden 4 day coolness, some of my hybrid teas maintained their lovely shape...

I am actually working on a 2nd post called Lopsided Garden and Cabbage Roses (part II). It is like a scary opposite end-of-the-spectrum contrast to JeffAurora and Boxofrox's beautiful Part I and Part II...and hopefully their Part XXI (Part 21).

With JeffAurora and Boxofrox you get sheer beauty... but with me, who stalks them, it's like Invasion of the Rosie Snatcher...bwaa-hahahahaha!

14 years ago

How long you been stalking them? LOL... Can't wait to read your new post! Sounds interesting...LOL

I may have horror stories next season after I attempt to prune Precious Platinum to fix it...LOL...We have 3 good tall canes. Will prune each one a slightly different length, trying to keep one 2 1/2 ft. in height. and the two other long canes alittle longer or shorter. If winter die-back and cutting to a outside bud allows me...LOL... All the other main canes are 8 inches high with secondary stems coming off. I will totally eliminate 1 or 2 of those smaller main canes. Keep 1 or 2 short 8 inch main canes that will still be left. Hopefully 1 or 2 new canes will come up. These are own-root roses. You confused yet? I sure am...LOL

JIM

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Jim, I am posting your pic again, and my comments...

I wouldn't eliminate any! of those smaller canes (but my advice is far from expert, hehe!, just personal experience) For me, those smaller canes if you give them the chance will really flourish and develop and give your hybrid tea a lush full appearance instead of skinny and leggy...You only want to get rid of them if they overcrowd each other. Sort of wait and see until mid-Fall. From what I see, I love your small canes and believe they will catch up very soon, especially if you keep the tall ones trimmed lower. My immature baby canes saved the appearance of one of my Lincolns when nasty Monster Rabbit slipped behind a small gap in my fencing and ate over 2/3rds of my rose bush. My bush looked so awful, my roses looked like long-stalked roses instead of long-stemmed roses, but each of those baby, thin short stems that fringed the bottom of my plant all grew up into lovely healthy canes...

If you are interested I can show you the before and after pics...

As for JeffAurora, I am having major "withdrawal symptoms". He's still! on vacation in Mexico (supposed to be for a couple of weeks)... I first started stalking Jeff in May 21, 2009ÂI had great difficulty photographing the reds of my Lincolns and asked advice on the regular rose forum ThatÂs when he sent me this absolutely gorgeous photograph and told me that all his photos were in the Rose Gallery and that highlighted the day I "discovered the glories" of this separate forum...

As you can see Jeff is the total President of the Lincoln rose...

And Boxofrox I started stalking in June 11, when I saw his Momma's Bouquet thread...

when I first starting stalking Boxofrox heehee

As you can tell, stalking is serious business for me...bwahahahaha!

14 years ago

Those shorter 8 inch canes are as big around as my thumb, but, they grew out horz (sideways) instead of upwards, so, I had to prune to a bud that would cause the secondary cane to grow upward. They are thinner and about 22 inches tall. I want to try and force another new cane to form and grow upwards. Otherwards I'm experimenting....LOL

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

serenasyh,

~@^@~

14 years ago

Ok, that precious platinum (above in your post) was 12 inches tall when planted. It grew to about 24 inches tall the first season as I planted in in July.
    Ok, the following Spring at pruning time, I cut the whole thing down to 8 inches from the ground. I should of just took alittle off at pruning time and let it grow. Plus 2 large canes started growing straight outwards, instead of upwards...LOL...It's hard to explain.

The smaller rose beside it (pic down below) was only trimmed alittle (3-4 inches off at spring pruning time, but, it was only 14 inches high at pruning. Plus, it bloomed many blooms from June 7 to early July, then I deadheaded... I'll figure it all out...LOL

{{gwi:302811}}

14 years ago

YES, want to see before and after pics of your roses after monster rabbit put a whooping on it...LOL

14 years ago

After reading your reply over a few times I understand what your saying now...LOL... I think i'm confused now...LOL... Those smaller secondary canes are thinner than a pencil. Would they hold roses if they got much bigger? LOL

14 years ago

After watching about 1 million you tube pruning videos my head is spinning...LOL...I'll follow your advice on the pruning. I will leave those smaller secondary canes intact next Spring for the full look...LOL...I will not prune our other roses harsh like I pruned that first bush. LOL
    Thanks!

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, here is what happened to my poor Lincoln! As you can tell, there is a huge nakedness with it! The rabbit was horribly destructive! it basically sat up on its fat haunches to reach up to the entire height of the rose, and ate around the entire plant as if it were a corn-on-the-cob... Do you see that stalked bud at the corner? It gave me one of my best Lincoln blooms...when I deadheaded it there was only one! leaf left on that entire stalk... The stalk, nourished by the Gardenville sea tea, grew up to be a very fat, with tons of leaves and stems...The rest of those baby stems grew up tall and strong...

Monster Rabbit destruction:

Full Recovery:

P.S. this recovery post includes 8 pruning cuts/deadheading and only has one bloom left-the last rose of its flush...it actually had 9 big blooms total on its second flush (unfortunately,my camera did a horrible job with the reds-sigh, and this was the only one that turned out semi-ok); 9 blooms is not exactly prolific, but I'm thrilled being that this is its first year and has had to recover from Monster Rabbit. I am also a no-spray organics person, so my roses have to depend on their own strength, the sea tea, and hot wax pepper spray...they have to fend for themselves, basically...

14 years ago

Wow! Monster rabbit was hungry...LOL...And that rose was surely left half-naked...LOL. Might want to purchase a small dress for it to wear if it ever happens again...LOL. My neighbor has tons of rabbits in her yard, but, they seem to eat only her grass. Her roses and plants are ok. Rabbits have got into our yard once in a great while, but, do not damage anything, so far....LOL. I left our dogs out one morning and they were chasing a rabbit around our fenced in yard. The rabbit tried to go through those small fence holes and got stuck half-way through. Our oldest dog (16) head-butted the rabbit in the ass to get it through. Funny as heck, wish I had a camera at the time...LOL...

I do foliage feed in early morning every 2 weeks with Drammatic K fish/kelp organic fertilizer (2:5:1). Company claims there fish oils in the fertilizer are being reported by customers to be retarding certain rose/plant diseases.

JIM

14 years ago

HI, for the first 2 seasons of our first roses life, it received no fertilizer and still grew like crazy. Second rose we got had 1 season with no fertilizer. Had no trouble with Blackspot or any other fungus diseases. Bugs bite the plants alittle, but, hardly any damage. A bite here and there...LOL

This early Spring season (2009) I Placed some Organic Rose Tone, Alfalfa pellets, Bone Meal, and Epsom salts around our oldest rose bush, then carefully worked it into the soil about 1 inch deep, then top dressed the area underneath and around the rose with aged cow manure.
    4 weeks after that I've been using the fish/kelp organic fertilizer every 2 weeks. Watering it into the soil and using a spray bottle to foliage feed.

The younger roses got bone meal in the planting hole, aged cow manure placed at the bottom of the planting hole. Then, 4 weeks after planting, used the organic fish/kelp, watering in and foliage feeding every 2 weeks.

What is the brand of fertilizer you use? I may buy some as when these roses get older, I would like to try using 1 brand, then another brand the next 2-4 weeks, so on and so forth.

How's the staulking going...LOL

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, lol! I stilllllll have to do the agooooonizing wait for more Boxofrox's photos...JeffAurora didn't say when exactly he'd be back (he said a few weeks, meaning 3-4? aaaaaaaaa!) and I'm still waiting and pacing, hee-hee...

Jim, your roses look wonderful, and you are doing such an excellent job with your rose care, and as I commented, they look so very healthy... I actually wouldn't change a thing! just go with what has worked for you so well in the past... I really wouldn't switch around; because I think you've got a really good enriched mix...Not everyone has the same soil and climates so when you have found that perfect mix, then run with it! Many forumers have advised DON'T FERTILIZE A YOUNG ROSE! leave it alone, you'll kill it, there was one instance of someone who had a baby band that couldn't survive the concentrated cow manure(perhaps the manure percentage was too strong) but it seems that your Platinum did beautifully with the manure way back when it was a baby from Heirloom Roses, so again, each situation is different and unique... ...my situation too ended up different because I have very poor quality soil, no amendments just exclusive Fertilome potting soil, Rose tone and my Gardenville sea tea...I always gradually add in the sea tea at a super watered-down mix then increase little by little to the full dosage. I even fed my dying baby band with that sea tea (when I received it it was only 3-1/2" tall with tiny wilted dried out leaves-all of which fell off within 2 days), and yet I still "fertilized" it, which the experts would consider a huge no-no! but it did flourish and is now almost as large as its sibling and gave me such sweet pretty blooms...

I feed once a week, but the younger the rose the more I dilute the tea (can be as weak as 1/10 the normal strength). Once a week is considered overfeeding for most gardeners, but with organics it's very "gentle" and slow-acting, plus! I have bad non-amended soil, so my roses need those frequent feedings... In one of my garden lots, I found no! earthworms when I started digging there. The other lots there were just one or two earthworms at the very maximum per hole that I dug...all indications that my soil is of bad quality... For my back lot, I already spent a fortune on mulching, stupid me and to have to lasagna layer between manure and another layer of mulch would break the piggy bank so to speak...so that lot I will have to wait until next March to add the manure...However! I can still add manure to the shaded lot, because I have not yet added additional mulch to that section... However, that shaded lot was the one without any! earthworms and the lot in which 2 sage plants shriveled and died...

Thanks for the reminder Jim, later this week I will ask everyone's opinion about my shaded lot and what to do about adding manure...

14 years ago

Manure... PU! LOL...Good luck with your poor soil. Once you get on the right track on what to add, it will still take a few years to really get better soil. When I place well aged cow manure at the bottom of the planting hole, I cover the cow manure with 1/2 inch to 1 inch of soil, then place rose on top of the soil. Those roots won't reach that cow manure until the following season. It hasn't hurt mine at all. With the older Precious Platinum I stick the well aged cow manure on top of the soil underneath the rose. It breaks down over-time and works it's way into the soil.
    Fresh manure will burn roots up. Never use it fresh. PU! ..LOL

Funny thing: we once had different types of bushes out front planted. When I pruned them, I left all pruned stuff I cut off just lay under those bushes. Other things I trimmed elsewhere, I would throw under and behind those bushes to hide it. Leaves, twigs, grass ect. I was just being lazy and had no other motive on my mind....LOL...Did this for 4-5 years...LOL... Last year decided to remove all those bushes. The soil had turned into freakin awesome soil...LOL...All that stuff I threw there must of composted into the ground over the years...LOL...
    It's near a public sidewalk, so, I'd be afraid to plant roses in that 15ft long X 4 ft wide space. Have Marigolds in there right now.
    My luck someone would trip and fall into all those thorns if I planted roses...LOL...But, then again, it is our property and not public property. Maybe miniature roses would be better? Hummmmmmm... Only have tiny thorns stuck in someones head if they fall into them...LOL.

I'm interested in reading the comments of your soil ammendment PU! Manure Post next week...LOL... I will keep an eye out for that one.
    Have a great day and keep up the staulking...LOL

14 years ago

Here is a pic of one of the roses we will be ordering next Spring from Heirloom, along with Star of the nile and whatever else...LOL

Sunrise at Heirloom

{{gwi:1256100}}

14 years ago

Here's a pic of some of those Marigolds we planted out front. I have been very tempted to plant some smaller roses in those spots, along with some type of flower. We like different types of Marigolds. Sort of one of our fav's. Notice the public sidewalk.

{{gwi:1256101}}

14 years ago

Yeah, lack of earthworms is a bad sign. I have noticed 20-30 earthworms per planting hole here. I always see birds underneath our roses gathering up earthworms. Sparrows seen to land on the bushes. Must be eating bugs of some sort or something.

JIM

14 years ago

Hello, I was looking over Rosenuts website and came across this awesome fortified alfalfa tea recipe. Will be mixing this up next season for use on our roses.

http://www.rosenut.com/rosecare/manure_tea.htm

14 years ago

Someone posted some nice pics on your bee thread...

JIM

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awww, thanks so much Jim for your support, comfort etc...! Am sending you this huge hug! I will write tomorrow... I have seriously run out of time and have to get going on my bee research! and bee letters...It's been a very discouraging, difficult time...but hope that I can bring everything together bit by bit...yes, those beautiful bee photos really brightened my day...like a ray of hope...

14 years ago

I ordered a miniature rose from heirloom to try and grow in a pot. I know it's late in the season, but, just been itching to get the feel of growing one in a pot...LOL...Hopefully, I can keep it alive over the winter months though. If not, i'll try again until I get it right...LOL

14 years ago

Been meaning to ask you: Where did you purchase your tree rose? Locally or mail order? Thanks!

JIM

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Jim; wow, I wanted soooo much to order my miniature rose from Nor'East... but they were swamped with all these orders (when everyone heard they were no longer going to sell online--they went crazy and started ordering like mad) so I couldn't get my order in time; then Roses Unlimited had a sale and then! I completely blew out my budget... Nor'East is the absolute Favorite of vendors for many on the miniature rose and the rose forum for minis...

So which one did you get from Heirloom Roses? Be sure to post photos of all your new babies....! I can't wait to see them...

Both my tree roses are from Jackson & Perkins and are exceptionally strong and healthy...What makes Jackson & Perkins better in terms of tree roses is that they have 4 grafts not just 2 grafts so the tree has a "rounder" appearance... However, I have never! winterized a potted rose (this being my first year growing roses)... Tree roses must absolutely be potted (Minnesota tipping-- burying the entire tree underground is too difficult for me) so bringing it into the garage is the only option... Once again, my poor Gemini has to undergo one more dangerous journey...winterizing.

Both of my tree roses are also bareroot (have to be soaked in a pail of water with a TBS. of sea tea-- poor Gemini wasn't, horrors of horrors, but was planted straight in the ground! after lingering in a burlap sack for a week at Costco, how it continues to survive is beyond me!)...Fragrant Cloud was a mail-ordered bareroot and was properly cared for and is a continual bloomer, not just a repeat bloomer...

However with bareroot tree roses, they have to be bought in either April or May...Tree roses are so addicting...I love my tree roses and they are the first roses to get my attention every morning. but boy, they are really, really heavy in their pots! lol! and when they get to be a huge 4' wide, aaahhh! Tallness is not as big of a problem as wideness... Thank goodness there aren't tornadoes in my locality (knock on wood) otherwise I wouldn't be able to get it inside my house...I used to drag them in and out from my porch to the living room during the month of April when they were in their small pots but now I'm stuck because they're too big and too heavy...I'm luckier than poor JeffAurora, his tree rose fell onto some other roses and broke their canes during a fierce thunderstorm but at least the tree rose was unharmed (he lives in a different state), but mine so far have remained upright during our huge winds and rainstorms... Tornado though, now that! would give me a nervous breakdown.

But silly me, if I had a huge sunroom to keep my roses in, I'd want... 8 tree roses! hahahaha! I just love their "blooming tree charm".

14 years ago

When you get a chance, check this tree rose out for me. Thanks.

Can this one be planted and grown in a large pot?

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/02019/

JIM

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, Double Delight will be super fragrant...It's actually Karl's favorite rose...Tree roses in my opinion are so fun and beautiful... however if I were you I'd wait for next year to get your tree rose from J&P...July is too late in the season to be planting bareroot tree roses and they always ship bareroot... Also you have to be very! careful about late-shipping bareroots because often they're the bottom of the barrel picks, if you know what I mean...The canes will tend to have more canker, etc. I remember a post from long ago from someone who was having problems with late shipped bareroots from David Austin. They were in horrible condition...canker, splits and discolored canes...

But next year will be a perfect time...! plus by then we'll both have experience on how to winterize a potted rose...

Yes, all tree roses will adapt well to a large pot, including your Future Double Delight!

My pot was only $20 and! it's made in the U.S.A... I got it from Walmart...

14 years ago

Hi, the DD tree rose I was going to purchase beginning of next season...LOL
    The miniature I bought now is more or less for experimenting with winterizing. Heirloom was offering free shipping, so, I figured, what the heck.
    Yeah, don't need any canker. The name doesn't even sound good...LOL

JIM

14 years ago

I was sitting here thinking: what happens on this forum for conversation during winter-time when roses and most flowers are sticks/ or dead???
    Do we share our sticks and rose thorn pics? LOL

Just pondering...

JIM

14 years ago

Check out my thread when you get the chance.

JIM

14 years ago

Yeah, i'll block the light from coming in those windows with dark plastic or whatever.
    serenasyh,

Have you read rosenuts over-wintering tips?

http://www.rosenut.com/rosecare/overwintering.htm

http://www.rosenut.com/rosecare/winter_protection_for_tree_roses.htm

JIM

14 years ago

Well, we had two large canes rubbing near the bottom of our larger Precious Platinum bush. (left handside on the pic below), so, had to totally remove one. That opened the bush up to see more of the base. What a mess! Canes were cutting into each other everywhere near the base. Something I should of did this past Spring, but, I was very unsure about pruning.
    Had to prune out all but 4 canes. And two of the 4 canes are alittle wounded. Those two are in the back. The two thicker canes in the front are in good shape. And it looks like 2 other canes are trying to come up between the 2 front thicker canes. One is a bud type looking thing and the other looks the same,but, is 2 inches longer.
    We had that bad windy thunderstorm last week, must of rocked the bush and injured the canes that were to close. I'm learning though, sometimes it takes bad things to happen to show you what to do and to create a great learning experience...LOL
    Rosenut has gave me some info on pruning, ect. Things are clicking better on understanding pruning roses for me. Don't have much of a larger bush left though...LOL
    Lets call it my practice bush...LOL

JIM

{{gwi:302805}}

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmmm, that is odd and a puzzler, Jim... In Kansas we get really, really bad thunderstorms, and torrential winds...But I have never yet had rose cane damage (knock on wood)...or canes rubbing up and damaging each other....

Do you have any up-close pics of what those canes look like? and how they look like now that they've been pruned?

From this pic they don't look overcrowded at all...but maybe the up close photos I'll be able to tell...

14 years ago

I'll take a pic today. What I should of done this past Spring was this: The bush had to many canes. I should of pruned a couple totally out, so, the canes were spaced alittle bit better away from each other. This bush grows very thick canes that come from the base. I see two more canes starting between the 2 larger ones in front. Rosenut said, they still have time to grow and harden off.

jim

14 years ago

Do you have to winterize your outside yard roses where you live? Just wondering. I didn't winterize at all last winter,everything was fine. I might winterize alittle this coming winter. Still thinking on it...LOL

JIM

14 years ago

Here's a pic of Precious Platinum after pruning. Those two canes in the back are alittle injured from other canes rubbing. I will have no choice, but, to prune them out next Spring.

And I have another problem now: Remember the one I planted on the rock. It's not going to grow right for sure. I'm going to have to dig it up and remove the rock. My step dad and friends will help. Now is not a good time to do it, so, probably will wait until late winter to do that project. After the rock is removed, we are going to use native soil from another spot in the yard to replace the void the rock leaves. I should of knew better...LOL... But, the rock is alittle over 3ft wide and appeared to be at least 2-3 ft deep. :(

JIM

{{gwi:319519}}

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow! that is severe pruning even more than the Serena way...it's like one/third of its original size, hee-hee! Something which I have done before...but man, I never thought you'd prune it down that much! I thought I was the only one doing that major of a lopping off...

But it does like very aerated and well spaced and since your Platinum is growing so vigorously I am sure it will still end up being quite the giant...especially with all the goodies that you keep feeding your roses with.

My roses are bushy monsters right now so you would definitely be hacking them down, but I just let them overgrow themselves and only hack the top parts off... I figure 1st year roses I'll just let them become one massive forest...They're so dense right now, I'd have no idea where to begin! boy, I'm such a chicken-lazy one... I hate to lose that wonderful bushiness and have let my roses become fat, wide and massive...

14 years ago

I've decided not to remove the huge rock under the rose bush on the right in the below pic. I'm going to transplant both of the roses in the below pic somewhere else in the yard. Then, i'm going to plant a bigger growing shrub rose away from the huge rock. Somewhere in the middle of where the two roses are now. My wife and I like Oranges 'N' Lemons, it grows wider and will fill in space. To the left of Precious platinum (out of the pic) is a shrub called Courageous, which when mature would almost touch Precious Platinum.

{{gwi:302805}}

JIM

14 years ago

I'm having trouble with Precious platinums canes growing the wrong way. LOL... Rosenut said, it may be a sun issue. So, i'll transplant it to a place which gets equal sun all around the bush.

The rose bush on the rock: The roots are getting larger and bringing the rose bush up out of the soil...LOL... Roots must be pressing against the rock under ground. It's getting transplanted to another location too.

Jeez, i'm having fun...LOL... That's why Precious Platinum was scalped...LOL

JIM

14 years ago

This is Courageous, it will be 5-6ft high and 5-6 ft wide when it matures in a couple years, it's planted to the left of precious platinum.
    I have other smaller roses planted, Sweet Afton is a white rose with a pinkish reverse. If it blooms again, ill snap a pic.

{{gwi:301275}}

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, I have to boss you around and disagree, LOL! remove that rock! do you know why I say this? Because roses are highly addicting! You will regret not moving it anyway, because it takes up rose real-estate, lol! In the long run you will be very! happy to remove it... Maybe throw a little backyard picnic and invite the strongest guys over and let everyone pitch in and do the heave-ho!

Platinum can stay where it is and you can add even more roses to where that rock used to be... Some people grow their roses 2' apart instead of the standard 3'-4' because they want their roses to form a close wall of blooms... So at the very least you will have one bush, if not 2 bushes there...

14 years ago

We have a Viburnum planted off to the right of the rock rose. That's for the birds to play in when it matures. It is growing really good and it's mature height and width will be 8ft-10ft.
    The bush to the extreme right of the below pic.

{{gwi:1256103}}

14 years ago

I have that whole yard to plant roses later if I want. LOL And we have another smaller yard beside the house that gets full sun.

{{gwi:1256103}}

14 years ago

When you get the chance sometime post some pics of your roses. Not just the roses, but, the whole bush too. Thanks!

Here's a precious platinum bloom in a vase.

{{gwi:1256105}}

14 years ago

I transplanted the rock rose to a different location today.
    Below is a pic of a small part of the rock, it's larger than I thought, after poking a steel rod into the ground, this rock or slab or whatever is alittle over 5ft wide and 3ft or more deep. Also a pic of our Viburnum Bush, planted last July it was a 12 inch high x 9 inch wide bareroot.

{{gwi:1256106}}

{{gwi:1256107}}

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area