Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nulty

The Garden And Beyond.

nulty
11 years ago

I have 19 rose bushes in my garden,..alas only two have a name,..a white rose named "Ice Cream",..and an orange rose i grew from seed,..a friend named "Laurie",..suggested "Golden Orange",..and so its called "Laurie's Golden Orange",..the new rose does not at all resemble the parent rose.

"Ice Cream".

Comments (22)

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Laurie's Golden Orange",..as seen below,..just over three years ago i made a video of my garden roses,..all nameless as they were grown from cuttings i took on a Victorian Estate where the names were long ago lost or forgotten.

Video==My Garden Roses.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Very pretty! That Laurie's Golden Orange is amazing! Do you know who the seed parent is?

Tammy

• Zyperiris
    11 years ago

Ohhhh that orange is beautiful!

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tammy,..Hi zyperiris,
    this is the parent rose,..it has a touch of the orange/yellow in it and it was beside a yellow rose bush,..but the shape is not like either one,..it was expected that i might get a rose unlike the parent but i was surprised of course,..and pleased.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The yellow rose growing next to the parent rose.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The yellow rose growing next to the parent rose.

{{!gwi}}

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Again,.."Laurie's Golden Orange".

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Again,.."Laurie's Golden Orange".

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops,..i just logged in and spotted the two duplicate posts and i can see no way to delete them,..now that is a facility badly needed after Preview and Submit is clicked.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

Wow, your seedling is just beautiful! I'm so drawn to hot colors.

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Have you tried to ID your roses?

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Brittie,..Hi JessicaBe,
    some more rose pictures for you,..in video form,..you may not always like the musical background but the roses will make up for that.

Yes i did try identify some of the roses,..there were soooo many to look at and none fitted the bill,..i will however try again,..i was thinking of attempting another ID session,..soon.

Video===My Garden Roses 2010.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Your roses are lovely, Glengarry! Growing seedlings is always so much fun and such a surprise. I'm impressed that you grew all those roses from cuttings too! That's a feat in itself. I know because I have a terrible time trying to get cuttings to root. I do much better with the seeds! Have you tried making your own crosses yet? I love putting two very different ones together to see what happens.

By the way, most all of the roses in your video look like modern roses and not old garden ones so it may be possible to get IDs on some of them.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi seil,
    thank you for viewing the roses,..yes i find it easy to root cuttings,..i use Rooting Powder,..i tend to have quite a few young rose bushes from cuttings to give away each year as i tend to,.. think cutting,..everytime i prune,..i hate throwing away a potential rose bush.

I have grafted roses and sometimes mix the graft though i have never cross pollinated the roses myself in order to grow from seed,..luckily for me when i put seeds in the cooler there is nobody to tamper with them,..or throw them away seeing they would be there for weeks.

I lived on that Victorian Estate about 10 years ago but i would have no idea when those roses were planted,..if they are sort of modern rather than ye olde rose type then i might manage to name a few when i search again.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was sure i posted the following video od Yellow Roses,..and sure enough i did,..in Cottage Gardens,..i made it for a friend who loves yellow roses.

Video===Yellow Roses

Philip

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The rose "Ice Cream",..plus the nameless ones.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its a large rose and highly scented.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very close grouped.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peachy colour.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Always fighting Mildew with this rose,..we have rather damp weather here for days on end where the leaves are seldom dry.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful scent from this rose.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

What ever their names they're all beautiful, Philip!