Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twohuskies

Canadian roses

twohuskies
16 years ago

Here are a few of my Canadian bred roses.

Alexander Mackenzie

Cuthbert Grant

De Montarville -pink (with Knockout -red)

George Vancouver and clematis

Marie Victorin

Morden Sunrise

Quadra

Winnipeg Parks

Comments (12)

• missflippins
    16 years ago

Here I am, a Canadian living in Canada and I have never seen any of these before. Alexander Mackenzie is putting on quite a show for you. They are all lovely, but I love the colour of Winnipeg Parks - it's a beautful photo. Thanks for the look!

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Those are some gorgeous hardies! Great photos, thanks for posting them!

Cheers,
    Michelle

• bettym_grow
    16 years ago

What beauties!!! You have just enabled me.

Betty

• char_rose
    16 years ago

Love the reds...they are so rich and volupuous!!!! Man they are so saturated in color--my reds in California are washed out from the sun. There is just so much variation--plant to plant--location etc.

Charlotte

• paulieinct
    16 years ago

Great shots. I have grown some of these myself. They are true stalwarts of the northern rose garden. -Paul

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

wow, have never heard of any of these before,but they are all just beautiful.The first picture is amazing.

Jean

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Alex MacKenzie might be the rose I'm looking for. I have a tough spot - it's right next to a stone retaining wall. I haven't been able to get any rose to survive there. I've tried Heirloom, Distant Drums, Sunsprite (I know, I know - they're tender) and Cuthbert Grant(!!) Cuthbert Grant came up as a tiny sprig this spring and then died. Now I've given up on anything that isn't zone 2 or 3 for that spot (Cuthbert Grant should have survived there, because Morden Centennial did fine in the next spot over).

My Alexander MacKenzie survived in zone 2a in Fort McMurray, but since we moved before I could see how large it would get, I'm surprised to see how big yours is!!! My thought is that with this tough spot, I want a rose that will rebound well. So I'm hoping this rose does the trick. I assume you don't winter protect it - right? If this rose won't survive there, I might stick in a couple of coneflowers - they can survive just about anything! :)

Your AM looks fantastic!! It looks like your AM is in a flush - or is it like that all the time?

Thanks!
    Carol

• twohuskies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hurray for hardies!!!!!

Carol - That picture of Alex Mack was taken a month or so ago. I've been saving up these pix to post them all together. He has gotten really big - almost too big for his spot. And he is very hardy. I don't see anything more than a little tip dieback each year. Absolutely no winter protection for any of my Canadian hardies. George Vancouver has been a really nice rose for me as well. He's not quite as large as Alex Mack but I have been cutting him way back because he's getting too big as well. I think the tag said 3'x4' and he's much more like 5'x5' for me. Very vigorous growth, likes to grow tall thick canes, and this year he's been blooming non-stop. The blooms are not quite as pretty as Alex Mack but he more than makes up for it in quantity of blooms. After the first flush AM doesn't bloom very much..

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Oh, that's too bad about AM not reblooming well. Darn, I have it in the front of the bed, behind our retaining wall. Hmmm. Well time will tell. First things first - it has to survive in the dreaded death spot from which no rose has survived winter. :)

Carol

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

I have always had De Montarville on my list as I love those quilled petals.

Thanks for sharing.

Foghorn

• elgrillo
    16 years ago

Beautiful roses! Alexander Mackenzie is really impressive. And tell us about the clems, too.

Gary

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

Twohuskies, thanks for posting such great pictures! Gives me a whole, new impression of the Canadian Roses. AM is beautiful, and so is Quadra. Oh, to have more space....!
    Judith

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm