Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Big Hullabaloo This Morning

The mockingbirds were screeching and squawking this morning, so when I went outside to check why, this is what I saw:

The mockingbirds have fledgling babies out in the rose garden, so they were doing their best to protect them. The hawk flew off finally. It may have been hunting lizards instead of fledgling Mockingbirds, or it may have been eyeing my Koi.

Since this is the Rose Forum not the Hawk Forum, better add some roses: Secret, a fine and fragrant HT.

{{gwi:330524}}

Comments (27)

• caffiopeia
    16 years ago

Great hawk pix (Secret, too).

I've been trying to get pix of the hawk that's been hanging out in my backyard for a couple weeks. I'm hoping he'll eat whatever is eating my roses. No luck so far.

• bellarose
    16 years ago

Incredibly cool. Since we live in the foothills, hawks frequently circle overhead, and once and a while we see one on the ground eating something it caught. Secret is beautiful too!

• katefisher
    16 years ago

That hawk is amazing. How cool! How close did he allow you to come?

Lovely rose as well. Thanks for sharing.

Kate

• missflippins
    16 years ago

Great pictures of the Hawk! It looks like it was posing for you. Secret is a dream - how much more beautiful can a rose be? I just wish it bloomed more for me. Probably the climate - it's a bit stingy here, but worth waiting for a bloom or two.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Those are incredibly awesome pictures, and how fortunate you were to see that. We have roadrunners on the deck and quail, squirrels, bunnies and coyotes on the hillside, but this is in a class by itself. Thanks for sharing that experience with everyone. I have to say, he looks a bit as though he's wearing bloomers!

Ingrid

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

wow, what great pictures of the Hawk.Always wanted to see one up close,I have only seen them from a distance and couldn't see the colors.The photo of Secret is amazingly beautiful.Thats just the best picture I have ever seen of this rose.

Jean

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

Wonderful pictures, hoovb.

• cajunrosegal
    16 years ago

Wow you took some amazing pix of that hawk...where were you lying in the roses masquerading as a bloom? You must have been right under his nose....er beak..great camera...
    Secret is beautiful...does she smell as good as she looks???
    Ang

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

Oh how cool! What wonderful shots! He's beautiful! Not good for the mockingbirds tho! At least he didn't get them. And those are some gorgeous pics of SECRET!! How come mine never looks like that?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got within about 12 feet, and zoomed in with the camera as much as I could. It kind of kept an eye on me, but was so intent on hunting it didn't mind much. I think it is a Cooper's Hawk: they have those little "pants" on their upper legs.

My Secret is a huge bloom machine. I just happened to get a really good copy, I think. It's got a nice rose fragrance, too.

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

Cool pics hoovb!

I love seeing wildlife (NOT DEER!) in the garden. We have some Bald Eagles nesting way up high in a Sitka tree close by. When I work out in the garden I always see them circling in the tree-tops. Too high, can't get a picture. I just learned that they aren't endangered anymore.

Secret is really pretty too.

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

It's really WOW to see such a close up of "your" hawk!! My eyes are poor, so I never get such an opportunity - thanks!!

Secret is to die for!! Didn't make it in my climate, so seeing yours is fantastic!!

Carol

• michaelalreadytaken
    16 years ago

Those are some lovely shots. Thanks!

MichaelAT

• bettym_grow
    16 years ago

Amazing hawk photos! Such a beauty! He/she looks like he's wearing a pair of fancy spotted pants, look at his legs! Too cute and funny.

Betty

• blondana
    16 years ago

How do I load large photos like this?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    16 years ago

blondana, one common method is to upload your photos onto a photo storage and sharing site such as Photobucket (there are many out there--I just happen to use Photobucket), and then just copy the url into your posting here. On photobucket, the code to copy is right below the picture--you just copy and paste the html code and the picture appears in your posting.

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

What a handsome hawk. How long was he from tail-tip to beak? The other option is a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. They are smaller than Coop's.

• elgrillo
    16 years ago

Secret is delightful! Beautiful bird, too.

A cardinal was killed in our backyard in early June, probably by the barn owl that frequents the area. Just made us sick. Wish he'd get the rabbits.

We have had some kites in the neighborhood the past few weeks, and other birds have been careful around our feeders. Even the squirrels have laid low. Mockingbirds nest in our photinias every year. The jays and mockingbirds warn the neighborhood when hawks are circling.

Gary

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

I don't see how you got the hawk to hold still. Those are great fotos.

My neighbor saw our hawk grab a rabbit and kill it. Last Oct. when we got a new puppy, we went outside with it everytime it went out for quite a few months.

Secret is very sweet and delicate. I wonder if it is related to Nicole in some way.

Thanks for sharing.

Sammy

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Your Secret is gorgeous and the Hawk is amazing. I have often been afraid to leave my cats outside because I know a hawk could easily carry them away, but they are beautiful. I just want to keep the kitties here.

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

OMG what a beautiful hawk!! Either you have a good lens on your camera or you were very close! Awesome pictures!! Secret is such a pretty bi-color. I love those pink edges.

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

Patricia, it is very unusual for any hawk to take a cat. Unless your cats are abnormally tiny, under 4-5 lbs., they are just not worth the effort for a hawk.

The hawk pictured is WAY too small to capture a cat.

• Zyperiris
    16 years ago

What a beautiful bird. Great roses too.

• msmisk
    16 years ago

Fabulous hawk photos, and love your Secret.

Carol

• char_rose
    16 years ago

Secret is my favorite rose--however, mine never had quite that vivid ring of pink. Absolutely lovely. OMG that hawk is handsome. I never had one in my garden just posing like that. Great pictures!

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

Wow, Hoovb, those are amazing shots of the hawk, they are such beautiful birds. Glad he didn't end up grabbing the mockingbird babies though! And your Secret rose is also just gorgeous. Very nice photos!
    Judith

• jerome
    16 years ago

Looks like a Cooper's to me...but I wouldn't argue it. Your Secret is gorgeous.

Jerome