Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnann_gw

bofofrox you inspired me

donnann
14 years ago

Not like yours but I'm learning. The hydrangea is in a huge wiskey barrel with potting soil. I didn't add anything for color because I think I killed one last year that way. I held my breath and cut. Donna

Comments (13)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Good start, very nice arrangement! That striped one with the reddish and white in it, what is the name? Thanks!

Jim

• donnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, thank you so much. I can't tell you how much your compliment means to me. The one you are asking about is scentimental. She is the first to bloom and the last to die. Continuous blooms the entire summer. Donna

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

Donna,

I am plum proud to be your inspiration :-)

That is drop dead gorgeous !!!

For me the bouquets do several things :

1st, they bring great pleasure to the recipient whether it is my wife or someone outside this household because it makes them feel special.

2nd, they bring great pleasure to me because I get to experience what they do.

3rd, It is kind of like a pinch....a reality check that not only did it come from my garden but the gift that keeps on giving year after year tells me how far I've come as a gardener. Each year as I get farther away from the intense labor it took to get here, the satisfaction of having done some things right kind of takes over. I do have to pinch myself at times :-)

• donnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks a million and I agree with you 100%. This one goes to my elderly parents.
    BTW I hope it grows back :) Donna

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Boxofrox, I too hope to someday be both! a copycat and a stalker, LOL! but at my rate I'm not going to be as successful as Donnann's bouquet.

I love your striped roses Donnann; nice bouquet!

• donnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

serenasyh, are you kidding? I have seen your pics. They are beautiful. Scentimental and ambridge always amaze me. They are always blooming. I like your dog too. Donna

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

awww, thanks Donna, and Eluane would be thrilled that someone likes her, she feels so neglected sometimes, poor thing! But hee-hee, again your words are so sweet, but I just hope one day my roses can flourish and survive to their full potential!

Your striped roses looks so lovely... Even though I can't see all of the orange one in back of the Scentimental, the tangerine color is very vibrant and striking...and yes! Ambridge is such a pretty rose... I love peach pink roses and yours give the bouquet the perfect touch!

14 years ago

How disease resistance is your Scentimental? Do the colors stay bright? Provided it isn't to hot as weather effects colors sometimes by fading. I really like that rose...LOL

JIM

14 years ago

That orange one in the back that's hard to see. Is that a Oranges 'N' Lemons rose or another type of flower or rose? I can't really tell from the pic. Thanks!

JIM

• donnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, in all honesty I don't know about the disease resistance. I start my spray program as soon as my plants get leaves. My area is a magnet for blackspot and powdery mildew. The man next door uses the 3 in 1 bayer product that he puts in the soil. Every August I see blooms and no foliage. Poor man has to take his leaves off because of too much disease. He comes over here and asks me why my garden looks so good. I always offer to spray his roses. he tells me the bayer will work. He is 86. I help him as much as he will let me.
    yes your right. Oranges N Lemons. own root from Heirloom late last summer. That was my first bloom. She opened up near evening and was almost ready to be dead headed in the morning. To say I was disappointed is an understatement, I hope this isn't what this rose does all the time. Hense the back of the vase.
    serenasyh, thanks for the compliment

• BecR
    14 years ago

Very pretty bouquet! Do tell the names of all the pretty flowers in there, pretty plz.

I love the flowering plants in my garden that keep on giving...'the gift that keeps on giving' is exactly right...

Cheers :) Becky

• donnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Becky. There is a bee balm, hydreangea, oranges n lemons, ambridge and a rose that was tagged empress of russia but have since found out that there is no such thing. Also scentimental. Donna

14 years ago

donnann , your oranges 'N' Lemons must still be a young plant. That happens sometimes with the younger ones. I have had that happen with a young Sweet Afton on the first bloom.
    Sometimes those products that are applied to the soil for Blackspot do not get absorbed by the rose, better to spray.
    From the research I did, Oranges 'N' Lemons grows well in many areas. But, they do say hot areas the colors fade, and when it's cooler it shows it's best color.

JIM