Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittiebird

Late June/ Early July Pics

It's been extremely humid around here for the past couple of weeks, so I haven't gotten very many pictures lately. Here are a few though...

Grande Dame

Lady Hillingdon (my tiny plant)

Fire & Ice

Black Baccara

Archduke Charles- This is the top of my plant (against a six foot fence) since most of the body is out of view due to Pope John Paul II being right in front of it. The heat shrinks the flowers quite a bit.

Mystery Flower- VERY strong, spicy scent. Fragrant Cloud maybe?

Louis XIV- very first flower on my baby plant

Comments (18)

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to add the extras!

Caterpillar chomping on my flower. We've had SO many lately! This was a weird one though. I tossed him over the back fence (a.k.a. the Caterpillar Relocation Project).

Awesome Blossom Daylily (for those who like them)
    {{gwi:1258473}}

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I love the shape (so angular) of your Fire & Ice and with the large petal sticking out. So interesting to look at.

Grand Dame has the color I adore. Sigh - so beautiful.

Black Baccara looks like the perfect bloom.

But that caterpillar (I have a phobia of them) is HUGE!!! And so hairy!!! Never seen one like it. I'm not scared of that one - it looks so interesting.

Thanks for sharing your garden with us.
    Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pics. It is obvious that Fire and Ice and Black Baccara love to pose in front of a camera, isn't it! LOL

Love the caterpillar and butterfly pics.

Kate

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

I have Grande Dame I have had her for a few months. her fragrance is amazing :)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Awesome looking caterpillar. That's a great shot of Fire and Ice.
    Renee

• inga007
    11 years ago

Love all your blooms, but that caterpillar is a monster.
    Fire n ice & Black Baccara, look so velvety.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! Ugh, the caterpillar was gross. He was huge! I'm a chicken, so I snipped the branch off below him and tossed the whole thing into the field behind my house. We've had quite a few caterpillars, but that was the biggest, and definitely the fluffiest of them all.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Beautiful red roses, all the blooms are lovely.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Love your Black Baccara! Can you believe I saw an auction for it on Ebay recently and the bidding was up to over $100??? I know its somewhat hard to come by, but that's just crazy!

Also love the caterpillar, LOL! The first thing I thought when I saw him was "that caterpillar looks like Albert Einstein with his white frizzy hair!" He seems to be enjoying chomping on your rose :) Love the fact that you're nice enough to "relocate" them. I do the same thing, but we didn't have as many this year as other years.

Tammy

• nummykitchen
    11 years ago

Wow, what great photos and such pretty blooms! I love your Fire & Ice, need to at that to my want list for sure. The lily is lovely, I planted some lily bulbs for the first time this year and can't wait to see how they do. What a funny looking caterpillar!

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Grand Dame, Fire & Ice, Caterpillar are Grand!!!

• MaryDanielle
    11 years ago

I really enjoyed your photos! (I chuckled about your caterpillar relocation project) :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I saw that too on ebay. Crazy! I bought mine from Heirloom last year during the red, white & blue sale (I think). I think the people who bid so much on these roses are just newbies who don't realize they can get the same plant elsewhere for MUCH less money.

Believe it or not though, I'm not in love with Black Baccara (ducks for cover). It starts off pretty, but the flower form ends up being sort of round and boring. It holds its color and lasts forever on the bush though. Since it's still a baby (ish) plant, I haven't been able to cut stems long enough to bring it inside. Hopefully that will help? It has no smell either, and that doesn't help. I don't have any other issues with it though, so it's not going anywhere. Could be one of those roses that I grow to love.

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Wow beautiful pics! Love that hairy guy! I wonder what variety he is?

• mzstitch
    11 years ago

I love choosing a favorite when someone posts some of thier roses. Today, your mystery rose was my fav until I saw Louis XIV. Wow, that is going to be a beautiful rose, and I just may have to look into getting one myself!

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Awesome caterpillar and butterfly photos. And the daylily is absolutely gorgeous. Good guess on fragrant cloud - color is spot on, as is description of fragrance.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Lovely, Brittie! My Fire n Ice hasn't bloomed at all this season.

• User
    11 years ago

Spectacular "Grande Dame",..she has a beautiful hue,..and the "Black Baccara",..is special being so dark,..i have a mystery rose similar to your "Fire and Ice",..but not a perfect match,..just red with trace of white,..i like your mystery rose,.. very nice,..as for the poor relocated Caterpillar,..i bet it turns into a stunning Butterfly.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting