Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krista_5ny

Wisley 2008 and Marchesa Boccella

Krista_5NY
12 years ago

Wisley 2008 is a new rose to the garden, planted in spring 2010. It has a wonderful fragrance, and the dark foliage is a nice backdrop for the blooms.

Marchesa Boccella is one of my best roses, it is very abundant with its blooms. The sweet fragrance is just wonderful.

{{gwi:216897}}

{{gwi:216895}}

Comments (13)

• inga007
    12 years ago

Love the "fluffy" bloom on Marchesa Boccella

Wisley 2008 is rich in petals too. Lovely shots

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Very nice krista!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Two beautiful ladies, Krista!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I really love that peony effect of Marchesa Boccella!
    Renee

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Wow, so gorgeous, Krista! How I wish my organic roses looked as gorgeously beautiful as yours. I love seeing the beautiful blooms and the equally lovely foliage greenery. How majestic everything looks!

Wowwwww, I can just imagine Marchesa Boccella's fragrance!!!! And yes,the main reason why I'm getting her was because of your photos and have been patiently waiting since late 2009 when I first ordered it (it's a hard rose to root but I hear a few cuttings just miiiight make it for 2012). I just love, love, love the enclosed button it reminds me so much of the most delicate and charming pouch of those antique silk purses that you see in a museum from the 1600s-mid-1700s, lol! So delicate and beautiful!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Your Wisley 2008 has fragrance???? Mine has none. :(

Seems to have a long wait between flushes, but when it does BAM tons of blooms.

I really like your Marchesa. Divine. Wish I could smell it.

Carol

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Krista, these are two truly beautiful roses! My personal favorite is Marchesa Boccella. I just love the tussled look of the blooms. That is has a good fragrance is certainly an additional plus. I am wondering how this rose would do in Southern California, since it is doing well for you in your cool climate.

Thanks for sharing these two beauties!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, to all.

I've been very happy with the organic products.... I think they make the roses hardy and easy to grow.

I like the heavily petalled look to the blooms... that's a good comparison, Serena, like a silk purse.

Christina, not sure how this rose would do in a warm zone... Here, the blooms wilt quickly in a heat wave....

Carol, Wisley 2008 doesn't seem to have as much fragrance as some of the other Austins, I detect a moderate scent that is similar to The Alnwick Rose. (The Alnwick Rose is very fragrant...)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Both are extremely lovely, Krista, and I can't make up my mind. You have a really wonderful collection of old-fashionedd pink roses and they look so perfect in your garden.

Ingrid

• phatboyrose
    12 years ago

I like them both, your right they are nice and healthy. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Harold

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

krista_4 - any updates on this Wisley 2008? Looks like this rose will be one of the new releases in Australia. Is it true that this rose looses its petals quickly? Does it have many thorns? Are the canes flexible? If you can choose again, will you still pick this rose? Thanks.

• Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jumbojimmy, yes I would definitely get this rose again, I love it. It has a sweet fragrance to my nose, and the blooms are really lovely.

It has thorns, but not like Gertrude Jekyll.

I don't recall if the blooms shatter quickly, I don't think it's like Heritage in that regard, dropping petals soon. Not sure about how long the petals last before dropping...

Hot weather can make the blooms wilt though....

The stems near the blooms were rather flexible, not sure about the large canes as my plant is still young and short, can't recall how it was... I think it will grow as a shrub here, and not a climber. In a warm zone it might grow larger.