Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Garden shots: roses and complementary plantings

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

There have been a number of requests for larger garden shots so that viewers can see how roses can be mixed in with other plants. Here are a few pics of my version of such mixed beds. Of course, the fun of a mixed bed is that the gardener can mix and match just about any way he/she wants to. : )

Here are two views of my "perfumed path"--very fragrant HTs (Double Delight, Elle, Memoire, Valencia, Chrysler Imperial--not all are blooming at this point however).

Perfumed Path--facing south. You can see the spear-shaped leaves of the iris in the bottom-left corner, the easter lily center-right that has finished blooming, and even more center-right the leaves of the daylily Stella d'Oro. There are numerous clumps of white hardy geranium at the feet of many of those roses, but it only blooms in June.

Perfumed Path--facing north. This pic was taken several weeks earlier, when the blue larkspur was in its prime. That cluster of yellow in the center-right is Black-eyed Susan which, like the larkspur, re-seeds itself profusely. That is some pink yarrow in the bottom-left corner.

Bulb lilies and roses mix together very nicely, don't you think? And I see some white daisies still blooming to the left of the yellow Black-eyed Susans.

{{gwi:322323}}

Here's Molineux--surrounded by annuals (vinca) and daylilies (in the back), and lots of blue/purple larkspur (nearly done blooming) and perennial and annual sages of several kinds. The white phlox are almost ready to open. That red on the far right is a decorative pot growing two Dragon-leaf Begonias--very showy, and behind it in the shade of a Redbud tree is an even showier Annabelle hydrangea.

I enjoy mixing them together, but roses are always my favorites. : )

Kate

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths