Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Candy Land

seil zone 6b MI
12 years ago

I finally did it! After 6 years and only ONE bloom (not one flush but ONE bloom in 6 yrs.!) I replaced the NEVER blooming Cl. Peace rose with a new climber. I cut all eight feet of it up into itty bitty pieces and threw it away! It felt very satisfying to do so.

So we went shopping for a new climber this spring. We had been looking at 4th of July for a while now but we saw it in bloom at several nurseries and Alan didn't care for it much. He's not partial to singles for one thing and he thought it looked messy. So we settled on Candy Land instead.

{{gwi:214779}}

It has more petals and better form and I like the bright pink and yellow stripes!

Still in the pot in this pic but it's settled into the ground now and doing quite well giving me a second bloom.

{{gwi:214778}}

I know I have a good 3 years to wait before it climbs but at least I'll get some blooms in the mean time!

Comments (12)

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

I like the name, and the cheerful color, that's great!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Hey, that looks like a winner!

After waiting so long for blooms, this rose will be truly intoxicating, won't it!

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So do I, Krista!

Kate, you better believe it! You know I didn't check for fragrance! I'll have to check that out and let you know!

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

Absolutely yummy looking!

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

hehe, yes, oh yes, flaurabunda and seil, Yummy! Such a pretty full bush cuteness too!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

That's really pretty and happy looking. I think it will make you smile whenever you see it. Good choice!!

Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

Serena, you're a devil, lol!

Carol, it does make me smile! And it's putting on more buds now! Wow! From no blooms to twice in one season. I can hardly take it!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I love it. Great choice- the color is delectable.
    Renee

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Good choice Seil!! Yours is really pumping them out. I've had mine for a few yrs, but it's in just a bit too much shade I think, cuz it never gets that many blooms in one flush!! Yours'll be gorgeous in the coming yrs!! As far as that climbing PEACE rose goes, that's very typical for a climbing sport of a bush rose. They never quite bloom as much as their non-climbing counterpart. They just put so much energy into growing those long canes. I remember my neighbor back at the mobile home park had a huge climbing PEACE along her front fence. It only ever bloomed once a yr in the early spring. And boy was it spectacular. She did absolutely nothing to it. The blooms were about 8" and always loaded with them for about a few weeks in late April-into-May. Then the rest of the yr it was an ugly thorny monster.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Oooh, I'm jealous. I fell in love with the colors of this rose but don't have a place. But someday ...................

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

What a darling rose. For some reason it reminds me of a striped camellia. I can't believe how much bloom you've already gotten on this small rose. What a stunner it will be when it's full-grown. Great choice!

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all!

Beth, the president of my rose society keeps teasing me because he has a Cl. Peace that blooms it's fool head off! The brat! But I think this one may out bloom him!

Iris, I will keep you posted on how well it does for me so when you find a spot you'll know what to expect! Well, sort of since you're in CA and I'm in MI, lol!

Ingrid, you're right! The bloom form does have a sort of camellia shape!