jim1961_gw

Young Mr. Lincoln

Young Mister Lincoln Blooming:

{{gwi:315067}}

{{gwi:1259792}}

Comments (11)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Jim - they're such a light red!! I always thought they were a darker red. Very pretty and shapely! I love the color of green that the leaves are - goes with the brightness of the flowers.

Sigh - lovely!

Carol

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, Jim! I love your Lincolns!

Carol, Lincolns turn back to the deep, dark reds when the temperature is cool or when they are grown with shade or indirect sun (as in the March-May and October-December, yes, Lincoln blooms in December in my zone 5). Under the hot blazing sun, they will be the reds of a marashino cherry, lol! I told Jim this when he first got his baby band Lincoln...I also told him that he has to get up super early to catch the spirals. He still can get those spirals if he can catch them just at the right moment.

In our hot Midwest sun and heat, Lincoln will always be pouffy cabbages. But when it was constantly non-stop raining and dark overcast skies, I did get more spirals too. Lincoln is one of those roses whose best form is in the Spring and Fall when the sun rays are less direct.

I will be verrrry jealous of Jim's Lincoln. Pennsylvania can get hot in the summer, but the sun rays are more northerly so bloomwise, Jim's will outdo mine in terms of spirals, lol!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol,

The temp here today is 93 degrees.
    Actually we like the off red and pink colors that extreme heat produces on Lincoln blooms. lol
    Were happy, no matter what the color turns out to be. :-)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!! Today it got up to 78F, and we were all going, "Gah!!! It's too hot!!!" My husband said I was a hero to barbeque in this heat!! LOL!!

I didn't know that about Mr. Lincoln. If I got it here - it would probably be a lot darker then.

Carol

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Very, very pretty. Makes me want to try Mr. Lincoln again. Ours was always a stingy bloomer and we lost it this last winter. If mine had been a better performer I probably would have replaced it already. I should give it a try with an own root this fall maybe.

Thanks for the lovely photos.

Kate

• boxofrox
    13 years ago

Jim, very nice shots of the Mister ! I will watch with interest as your own root matures. Perhaps the notorious one cane wonderment can be overcome ;-)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually our Lincoln has 2 separate basal canes already Boxofrox.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Our Lincoln is in a container this season, but, i'll be planting into the ground next Spring.

Carol, everytime our Lincoln starts blooming it's been in the 90's here. lol
    It gets full blazing sun from early morning until night-fall. I'm surprised the blooms do not burn. The blooms stay fresh until the petals fall off.

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Seems to really like that hot sun then!! Especially since it seems to wait for that temperature before it blooms.

Carol

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Such a pretty color the Mister has, Jim, especially so given your heat. And his blooms stay fresh in that heat--wow, I'm impressed! It's 91F here and climbing. As Carol, her hubby, and all said, "Gah!!! It's too hot!!!"

Debbie

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Mr Lincoln looks great! Even when he's not being his usual gorgeous red self. This is one rose that can be stingy and I'll still love it more than another. Sort of like Helen Traubel - she blows so fast but few teas can parallel her beauty.