Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Canadian Rose Carol.....These Stems are for YOU

boxofrox
13 years ago

On the other end of those stems are phlox, hydrangeas, White Eden, Sunset Celebration, Abraham Darby, Dream Come True, and Stairway to Heaven. If you can possibly see past the long stems, I hope you enjoy :-)

Comments (20)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Oh Boxo!!! You made my day!!

I just found out today that I may have rhinitus something or other - where I'll go blind. I have an opthamologist appointment coming up. Plus I have a degenerative brain condition (I knew that before) where I won't be able to talk, breath, walk, swallow, etc. ad naseum. Plus a bunch of other conditions. I'm only 47. So I was a bit down today.

You picked the exact perfect moment to cheer someone up - lucky me!!!

And I see those LONG stems - it STILL amazes me that you can afford to cut that much stem from your roses/flowers. What a treat for all of your bouquet recipients. Like me!!

Thank you!! Thank you!!!

Carol :)
    :)

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Many hugs, Carol! That is horrible to hear. I looked up rhinitis but got a bit confused because it is a congestive allergy disorder, so maybe I got the wrong spelling of it? But hope you will be healed from whatever is causing you do many problems and troubles. I will be keeping you in my thoughts...! When I do prayers, I try to get as close to the exact illness so I can name it in the prayers.

Carol, I was waiting for you to go online to write to Boxo's thread all the way until 10:00 p.m. Kansas time. Then gave up and waited until 11:00 p.m. I wanted to be sure you got to write your thanks to Boxo, firsthand, before doing my usual Serena, whoo-hoos! But didn't realize to the extent of all your struggles. I am so sorry to hear this.

Again, many blessings Boxo for creating such beauty and love in your exquisite bouquet for Carol! You are such a joy and We Love You! And thank you so much for your prayers for Karen/Ray as well! Christ's blessings and hugs, Boxo! Sunset Celebration and Abraham D'Arby are truly a Light of Cheer for Carol!

Carol, please keep us updated. We are very worried and concerned....

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol,

You are welcome, it was my pleasure for sure and as for the timing, it is always like the good book says for me: nevertheless not I but........:-)

The pictures actually don't do it justice, the fragrance is out of this world. The purple phlox is quite spicy and then the Abe and Sunset sweeten it and it just fills the whole house.

I'm so glad it made your day because it made mine as well !

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Oh Carol, I'm so sorry to hear about your impending condition. You certainly seem to be taking it well. Much better than I would, I'm afraid. I wish you well, and hope that it takes a looooong time for this to develop!

Boxo, your bouquets are wonderful! The hydrangeas and phlox are gorgeous! What a beautiful contrast with the warm-toned roses!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone - the common name for it is tunnel vision - where your area of sight gets constricted like you're looking through a tunnel. I may be overreacting - maybe I don't even have it. But I do have all of the symptoms.

Boxo - that's what I was thinking - that God was inspiring you. I didn't know that phlox had fragrance. We need smell-o-vision. Thank you so much!! It really touched me that you remembered that I'm amazed by the long stems your zone allows you to cut.

Serena - Chuckle - I sure led you the wrong way - I just got my paper with the name - it's called retinitis Pigmentosa. Please pray - and thank you! And thank you for letting me get my 2 cents in first. You're a sweetie!!

Beth - that's the thing - if I do have it - hopefully it will take a long time to get really bad.

Lucky me - I get to look at my bouquet whenever I want to!! Thanks again Boxo!!!

Carol

• sweetmichelia
    13 years ago

What are the purple flowers, I see Hydrangea but is there another purple one? How do you get your hydrangeas so purple?

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

And I waited too. lol. Then, I had to wait again for serenas whoo-hoos. lol
    Just teasing ;-)

Great Bouquet there Boxofrox! Sounds like you made Carols day! :-)

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol, you are so welcome. I really enjoy my garden but not nearly as much as I enjoy sharing it. I know it's not Eden, just somewhere east of there ;-)

sweetmichelia, I'm thinking it is because I didn't fertilize or treat for color and the ph is right exactly between what it takes for pink and blue. If that doesn't sound plausible, I'll deny I said it ;-) This is what that hydrangea (Glowing Embers)normally looks like also the phlox......

In the middle of my triple cherry.....

Glowing Embers

Jim, play nice or I'll start with the slippery slug jokes again ;-)

13 years ago

Ok Boxofrox-he he ;-)

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

I call the Hydrangea, "Sweet Memory Candy", Boxo, lol! I love the closeup of Glowing Embers. The colors are absolutely sweet and charming! It's amazing to see how different PH can really influence the color!

Carol, I will PM soon to try to pray for your other degenerative condition! Thank you so much for writing about the Retinitis Pigmentosis. This helps because I can try to imagine/visualize in the prayers for their healing and for the success in the latest scientific search for a cure. Carol, the Russians are trying to develop, isolate a protein called Pikachurin so I am triply crossing my fingers for a cure from this disease. I have also read that a high dosage of Vitamin A can help slow down the deterioration up to 10 years. Many hugs and prayers for you Carol!

Boxo, you probably didn't realize this, lol! but poor Jim did indeed pull his back about 2 days ago anyway, but no it wasn't from rose slugs, lol! It's like those things that happen, as he put it, about 2x a year, but he is getting better. I am busy bossing him around and telling him not to write in his emails until 100% better, and that'd I'd do the one-sided blabbing to him, lol! Girls love to blab and boss around and force a guy to sit and listen to them blab non-stop, haha! It's called, "torturing the menfolk"!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Serena -- my other condition is called spinocerebellar ataxia. I will visualize you praying for me. You are in my prayers now too!

Boxo - more gorgeousness - how can we bear it? I had another look at my bouquet pictures - lovely!! The stems made me smile. :)

Carol

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Carol, I am so, so sad for you! I am crying buckets!!!! I was trying to do a bit of research into the spinocerebellar ataxia to see how fast the progression of the disease was, any signs of hope for cures... Then I came across this video that broke my heart on how fast it can completely afflict and how I'm desperately praying for you.

spinocerebellar ataxia

I am still crying buckets right now! Carol, you always have such a warm wonderful personality just like the girl on the video, such a ray of sunshine, a smiling rose, Carol! It's breaking my heart that you have this devastating illness...so many hugs and love out to you, Carol, and to your family!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Serena - please don't be sad. It's not as bad as it sounds. Yes, I have some tough stuff ahead to deal with...but I am one of the lucky FEW. My lifespan should be normal. That's a huge deal. I've got a GREAT husband who loves me to distraction. I'll be alright. My greatest fear right now is for my vision. I can't imagine not being able to see roses. I laughed a little there. Non rosers wouldn't understand that. LOL

Anyways, I live in the now - and now is pretty darn good. Yes, I have my struggles, but who doesn't.

So go outside, look at your roses and smile at a bee!

:)
    Carol

13 years ago

My wife & I will also keep you in our prayers Carol! God Bless!

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Carol, you are such a Precious Rose of a lady! and just like the young girl in the video you are living in the NOW, what courage and bravery! I will be keeping tons of prayers for you and also Karen's Ray who is at Stage 3b cancer. Ray is now undergoing another operation to stop fluids from leaking all over his lungs. Both you and Karen need tons of hugs right now! Yes, I can understand ABSOLUTELY about the eyes and the fear of blindness. That would be an artist's absolute nightmare. So much identity, our whole life's vocation and work is based on our eyesight. And a gardener is Nature's artist as well (smiley face).

Carol, I took a photo this morning of my young Climbing America as thoughts for you, Karen and Ray. Of course we got plastered with rains again (same-old, same-old), but I got a break between the drenches, so to speak. I wanted to get better photos especially knowing what a gorgeous thread Boxo had already compiled so I worry about about adding my lopsided Lumps. But Boxo is such a sweetie, and I'm sure he'd smile and say, it's the thought that counts, KG! Hehe, well, let's say pretend that these lopsided cabbages, are Boxo's Abraham D'Arby wish-they-weres, hee-hee!

Jim too sends his prayers, Carol!

• carrieburgess3
    13 years ago

Carol, ((HUGS)) to you. I am sorry to hear what you are going through. You will be in my prayers.

Boxofrox, Beautiful bouquets!!!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Thanks for the prayers, everyone. I really appreciate it.

I will also pray for Karen and Ray. Stage 3 cancer - ... - that's very sad to hear.

Climbing America is absolutely gorgeous!!! Another wonderful pick-us-upper. Thanks Serena.

Carol

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Well!!!!! Great news from my doctor!!! I'm not going blind!!!!! I am SOOOO relieved!!!! He wants to do a few more tests on my eyes, and then see me every year - but I got really, really good news!!!

So thanks for ALL of your prayers - they really helped!!!!

Yippee!!

Carol

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Wow, that is such wonderful, wonderful news Carol.

YIPEEE, YIPEEEE, YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Thank you Christ!

Whoo-hoo!, whoo-hoo!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Serena - you're so sweet and nice!!! Thanks so much!!!

Carol

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz