Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kstrong

How many can you name?

kstrong
13 years ago

Was playing around with the "collage" function in Picasa, and some photos of some stripers, and . . . .

How many do you recognize?

Kathy

Comments (16)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

These are ones I think I recognize (from left to right)

Only the big pictures:

Oranges and Lemons, Red Intuition, Candy Stripe, Yellow stripe (I don't know), Fourth of July, Henri Matisse, 2nd from top at the right - Purple Tiger, 2nd from the bottom on the right - Abracadabra.

What IS that beauty 3rd from the top and on the left??

Lovely, lovely!!!

Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I love it!

What is the very last one--yellow with dark stripes--in bottom right-hand corner? Striking!

Kate

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

I would like to know what the bottom right-hand corner one is too????

Here is my list:

Careless Love
    Soutine
    Pink Intuition
    Dream Catcher
    Purple Tiger
    Grimaldi
    Papageno
    Modern Times
    Peppermint Splash
    Modern Magic
    Rockin Robin
    Rock and Roll
    Candy Land
    Charlie Brown
    4th of July
    Olivier Roellinger
    Alfred Sisley
    Tigress
    Twist
    Citrus Splash
    Peppermint Twist

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

I forgot
    Red Intuition

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

One more....Spanish Rhapsody

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All those guesses with names are right, except the following, which are all roses that are not in this collage --

Oranges and Lemons, Candy Stripe, Henry Matisse by Carol,
    and Careless Love, Soutine, Papageno, Modern Magic, Candy Land, Alfred Sisley, Tigress, Twist, Citrus Splash and Spanish Rhapsody by Ramblinrosez. (Ok that last one, which you called Spanish Rhapsody, is unfair -- Peppermint Twist and two others are in there twice).

Bottom right corner is yet another sport variation on the Memphis Music/Abracadabra hot mess. Kordes calls it Simsalabim -- but my plant seems to be losing its stipes and reverting closer to Frisco (the solid yellow) with each new bloom.

Kathy

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh wait -- Candy Land is there -- I confused myself! The itty bitty one against the lower left side

Kathy

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Upper row from left to right: MARVELLE/TROPICAL SUNSET, FOURTH OF JULY, RED INTUITION, SCENTIMENTAL, CHICK-A-DEE, CAMILLE PISSARO.
    Middle section from left to right: PINK INTUITION, SPANISH RHAPSODY, WONDERSTRIPE or GUY SAVOY, LIFE LINES, PEPPERMINT PARFAIT, ROCK & ROLL, PURPLE TIGER, FREEDOM'S RING, ABRACADABRA.
    Lower section from left to right: GRIMALDI, CITRUS BURST, PEPPERMINT SPLASH, PATRIOT KORDANA, SIMSALABIM

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Ooops, guess I posted while you were posting Kathy! So where did you manage to get SIMSALABIM???

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

Oh boy I was way off on some. All of your stripes are really nice, you have a good collection of them. I especially like the one on top, right hand corner-Camille Pissarro, gorgeous rose. Do you still have Orange Van Gogh?
    What is the pink and white one right in the middle? I thought for sure that was Careless Love.

• flaurabunda
    13 years ago

Yes---where & how did you acquire Simsalabim?

Another question: How long did it bloom true to description before it began reverting? I'm thinking it may be worth it, since I have no yellow roses, even if it's for just a couple of years.

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very good Beth -- I knew I couldn't fool you. The only ones you missed were Peppermint Parfait in the top row middle, which you called Chick-a-dee -- both that one and the big one in the middle are Pepperment Parfait, and the tiny single on the left side, which is Dorothy Rose. And I'm not sure what you say is Citrus Burst, but that rose is not in there.

I got a cutting of Simsalabim last fall from trading with an internet friend, and I hear Cliff got some at the same time -- so if you want this one, I suggest you call him and put your name on his list. Mine is still too small for cuttings.

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Oh ok, so the top middle one is also PEPPERMINT PARFAIT. I didn't think you were repeating any, so just guessed. I don't have CHICK-A-DEE, and that shot just kinda reminded me of the pics I've seen of it. The one I thought might be CITRUS BURST is I assume OLIVIER ROELLINGER? The bottom middle one.

Hmm, I haven't talked to Cliff in a few months. Guess it's time to find out what he's got goin' on!! One of his roses he sent me in the early part of the season ended up being a miss-marked one. I gotta figure out what it is. Good excuse to email him!!

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep -- that's Olivier Roellinger in the middle of the bottom row -- the big one. I bought it as Sorbet Framboise from Ashdown, and then learned it was actually Olivier Roellinger. It's a new fav of mine. Wins in the singles class at every rose show, because the blooms are so striking, and because they open quite flat and last with fresh-looking stamens when cut.

As to Orange Van Gogh, Rambingrosez, I got both that and J H Pierneef from Hortico in the same purchase last year. However, those two bushes ended up being the same variety, but I don't know which one they both are. But clearly they are not two different roses. So maybe I have it, maybe not. I have a rose that is marked Orange Van Gogh is all I can really say. Hortico doesn't know either which one they are selling under both of those names.

Kathy

• Carrie_AZ
    13 years ago

WOW-Love the Simsalabim!!!! I looked it up on Helpme find/roses and it cannot be found here in the states. It is available in Germany. As stated above it is a Kordes. I have been coming to the rose forum since 1998 and I have never had the chance to meet Cliff, but I sure would love to get on that list. I have not been around the rose message board since the heat started here in Arizona which was late, late May. I don't do much with my roses in the summer but water, water, it is way to hot here in Arizona right now ( today 118F) the heat will be around until the end of October YUCK. So I have not been here since early spring. I wanted to check in and see all the roses from you rose growers in the cool country and drool over your roses. Mine look terrible the heat makes them proliferate and they are gone within one day, but the roses survive and come back in the fall. Gosh how I hate the summers here and prey for fall.
    Anyway Kathy if you can find out for me if Cliff is taking anymore names on his list I would appreciate it. You guys have a one of a kind rose there, it is so beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Carrie

• kstrong
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I suspect Cliff is always taking more names for more roses. He owns/operates Eurodesert Roses. This one's not officially for sale yet, but it will be someday, more than likely, assuming he got his cuttings to take (which he is very good at). So if you want it, best to let him know.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Eurodesert Roses

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH