Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Looking for a terrific red? Here's Braveheart!

dublinbay z6 (KS)
17 years ago

I keep telling posters this rose is the "find" of the year, but my comments have generated little interest. Will this pic convince you?

Braveheart is an Austin-looking rose, but not an Austin (it has Dark Lady in its heritage). Aside from a red red (not red fading to purple), it has big full blooms and is supposed to be disease-resistant. Can't testify to that last fact since I just planted it this spring, but it has had none so far, and I am very pleased with it.

Braveheart

{{gwi:214005}}

Now aren't you ashamed for overlooking this beauty? LOL

Kate

Comments (34)

• the_dark_lady
    17 years ago

Kate, you are so right!!! :(
    I'm going to order it! That's for sure! Thanks for the heads up.
    Marina

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

This is really beautiful Kate-love those fat buds too.GReat pic. You've sold me !
    Kathy in the Napa Valley

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

Wow, it is lovely. Is it a shrub like the Austins are??

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ah, some converts. You won't regret it. : )

newyorkrita--yes, it is a shrub. Mine is still in its first year so I don't know about the final size other than that it is supposed to get about 4 x 4--nice workable size for a garden.

By the way, it is surviving our 100 degree heat with only minimal damage--much tougher than most of the Austins, for instance.

Kate

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

What a beauty----Is it fragrant?--I love my Dublin Bay rose but it has no fragrance to my nose.

BTW---the first question that popped into my brain--

Does this mean you will be changing your name to Braveheart???LOL

Florence

• teka2rjleffel
    17 years ago

Lovely, as they say a picture speaks louder than a thousand words (is that how it goes?, oh well something like that.)
    Nancy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Florence--I might be tempted to change my name to Braveheart, but then I'd be afraid readers would imagine me wearing long uncombed hair and sporting blue make-up smeared all over my face (ala Mel Gibson). LOL

Besides, being Irish, I kinda like an Irish name like Dublin Bay. Speaking of which, it is supposed to be fragrant. Maybe yours just needs some maturity.

I think Braveheart is somewhat fragrant--but my nose doesn't discriminate perfumes very well, so maybe I'm wrong. It is near some really smelly roses, so hard to say how much is drift--but I think its fragrant.

Kate

• kathile
    17 years ago

That's gorgeous! I'll be keeping an eye out for it!

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

I too like your name and I do love DB---Sure hope it gets some fragrance as it ages.

Thai Braveheart is a beauty but I agree---no blue paint and keep your name---LOL

Florence

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

Yikes. I might need this beauty!!

Does anyone have a mature bush? Does it get 4x4? Does it have fragrance? Is it resistant to BS??

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!

Ronda

• ralf58
    17 years ago

Kate, where did you purchase this wonder?

• brother_cadfael
    17 years ago

Love it!

Where'd you get it?

BC:)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ralf58 and brother_cadfael
    It is a rose bred by Heirloom, so I suppose you can purchase a dinky little version from them. I'm not patient enough to wait, so I got mine from Roses Unlimited. They always send nice-sized potted ones that are already blooming.

You'll love it--I promise. I am so pleased with my "discovery." : )

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Braveheart description at Heirloom

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

They say it only gets 3 1/2 feet. Is that true? I am very interested in this rose now to order next year.

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Wow,
    I almost got Braveheart from Roses Unlimited this year...thank you for letting us know all about it. I'm glad you generated some interest in us all! Maybe next year we'll get it! :0) Phyl

• thistle
    17 years ago

Being Scottish, this rose is a "must have" I am in Canada (Ontario) do you know of any outlet here that might carry this beauty,,and will it survive in Canadian zone 5b?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thistle --I agree. All Scots need Braveheart! I have no idea who else carries it because I've never searched. And I know nothing about Canadian zones, so can't help you out there.

Wish I could be more help. If you get it, let us know in the future how it fares--OK?

Kate

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

So now that you have had it all summer, how is the rebloom? Does it hold longer than the Austins? One of my main complaints with my Austins is that they don't last long and shatter so quickly.

You have sold me on getting this rose for next spring. Now I am just trying to decide if I should get one or more.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi newyorkrita--

I'm pleased to report that Braveheart is a very good re-bloomer and the blooms definitely last longer than the Austins. In fact, they last a long time, holding a very fresh look until the very end. It's really quite amazing--to me, anyway.

My one minor reservation at the moment is that it isn't rounding out, as a whole, the way I would want. But more maturity may solve that problem. I may also have to learn how to prune it so it gets bushier. It's not that it gets the hugh octopi arms, but it has several canes that are bigger and heavier, and I've had to support a couple of them. That's only a minor complaint, however. Oh, and just the slightest touch of bs here at the end of the season--I have never sprayed it, but may need to give it a quickie in the fall if it doesn't outgrow that with maturity. I think it might.

You must take some pics next summer, especially if you get several. I'd love to see that.

Kate

• gloria_rand
    17 years ago

THANK YOU! I have been looking for the name of this rose. A patient of mine brings a whole bouquet every season and she does not know what it is.

It is beautiful. Now I can get myself one

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

Thanks Kate. I figgure I have time to mull over how many I want to get. I am thinking on getting afew and planting them in back of the Charles Aznavours I have put in this year. I want red roses to go in back of the pink white blend and this might work.

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

Ha! Had to pull this post with the gorgeous picture of Braveheart up to the top in honnor of the fact that I just mail ordered one today.

• john13
    16 years ago

I just saw this growing in Heirloom's rose display gardens. I am fortunate to live 40 minutes away. Right now their gardens are breathtaking!

When I saw Braveheart yesterday, I fell in love! It had RED! blooms, not purple! The bush was about 4' x 4'. (It might have been only 3 1/2 ' tall.) It was bushy but the heavy flowers were making the canes arch. The affect was a rounded bushy bush with slightly arching canes all over. It was definitely not an octopus but a rounded bush with arching canes.

The flowers were in bunches, all over the bush. Lots and lots of flowers! I think it had fragrance. (I am going again to check it out and buy it!)

I liked it because of the red flowers and that it would make an impact in my landscape, (lots of flowers) It isn't a bright red like a Knockout but lots of red with beautiful green foliage. I don't want a bright red. This red was perfect.

Karen

• katefisher
    16 years ago

You've got my vote. I'm putting this baby on my list for next year. Of course I'm going to have to add a new flower bed to make that happen..,

Kate

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Kate:

Any more pictures of Braveheart you feel like sharing? Your last one was stunning.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Kate, I wish I had some new pics. Poor Braveheart took a big hit from the great Easter Freeze--had me worried for awhile. But it is recovering now--I saw some really vigorous healthy new growth this morning, so I think it will soon be looking its handsome self again.

The other reason I haven't taken any pics is that I'm painting my newly rehabbed garage (which was ancient)--backyard has been chaos for past month--especially as I would run out daily to dig up and pot some more daylilies the carpenters insisted on stomping down.

I hope some of the posters above who said they were going to get Braveheart have taken some pics. I'd love to see them.

Thanks for remembering this handsome guy.

Kate

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Kate:

No problem. Like I said ever since your enabling thread about this fella he has been in the back of my mind. I have 'Blaze' but don't consider that to be a true red plus of course it is a climber. So Braveheart would be a nice addition to next year's new (rose) bed.

Your garage sounds exciting. The tribulations with the contractors sounds exasperating. We have had a taste of that this year and I have been pushed to the point of homicide! But I'm better now:)

Happy to hear your rose is recovering. Maybe next spring we can re visit this again.

Thanks.

Kate

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

Wow, that is a real beauty! Such a gorgeous, old-fashioned bloom. Thanks for sharing.
    Judith

• brandyray
    16 years ago

I remember noticing it when you posted this thread. It is a beauty! The only reservation I have is whether it would be disease resistant here. Maybe some who have had it longer might want to comment? Brandy
    BTW, I think your pic is much better than the one in the Heirloom catalog!

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

My teeny band I got at Heirloom in June just had a major growth spurt, we've had great weather here, (Light fish emeulsion feedings too probably helped) It has got quite a few buds, can't wait! The bush at Heirloom was gorgeous. Going to their big sale this weekend. Gotta decide what to get........

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Pacnegrdngirl:

Care to share a picture? That's so exciting that your rose is doing so well. Do you have to spray it in your location? Are you in the greater Seattle area?

Kate

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

Hi Kate ~ Yes, I'm near Seattle, South Sound. Anyway, yes, I do have to spray all of my roses. I'm right by the water, so we get a lot of humidity and fog. BS is a real problem here! My Braveheart is just busting out with blooms and new growth,when it's something to see I'll post a pic! My mom lives really close to Heirloom, we get alot of their roses and all do very well. Small at first, but they grow fast. Going down there tomorrow for a long weekend. Also to go to the big sale!!!!!
    Adrienne

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Adrienne:

Thanks for your response. Having lived in Seattle for several years I can see how blackspot would be an issue. It seems like a real beauty. You know since you mentioned a sale I'm guessing that is in St. Paul, Oregon? I ask only because I am driving up to Portland on Friday and it occurs to me that a stop in St. Paul would be quite doable if that's where rose liquidation is happening:)

Thanks for the information. Do they have a decent selection still this late in the season at their physical location? I'm also looking for Distant Drums.

Kate

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

I saw it growing at Heirloom. They had several bushes of it in different locations. All looked fabulous. I bought it right away. I was very disappointed when it got PM. Out of all of the 'Heirloom bred' roses that I bought, the Impressionist, is the only one I still have that is truly disease resistant here. The blooms on Braveheart are gorgeous. I was sad to see it go...

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone