Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy9norcal

Hot roses of summer

kathy9norcal
14 years ago

I have been away for a while but the roses keep on going happily, appreciating our mildish weather. Here are some summery photos:

Chicago Peace, a must have,

Hot Romance, a stingy bloomer in its youth, but not anymore!

Charlie (Aznavour) is really showing off right now, more than I have ever seen,

I know, we've seen a hundred photos of DD--but I love every one.

Hot Cocoa--rare for my Canon to pick up the purple, must have been cloudy. Complex colors, tons of blooms.

Snowbird, a refined rose, I got years ago from a man whose name got me sent to Disneyland briefly.

Sorbet Bouquet, a fun jewel of a rose,

Tuscan Suns growing up with enough water, unlike last year,

Thanks for looking,

Kathy

Comments (8)

• dove_song
    14 years ago

Wow! Really delightful photos of your roses, Kath! Glad you shared them with us. I keeping thinking one of these days I'm going to have to try Double Delight. Lol, like you've said, I've seen it hundreds of times in photos (and in person) and it looks like a great rose!

Especially love the photos of Chicago Peace, Hot Romance, and Charlie (Aznavour) but enjoyed seeing them all. Thanks for making my day funner. :)

Take care.

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

Wow! Love your Chicago Peace and Distant Drums!! Charles ain't bad either. Thanks for the look!

Carol

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Snowbird is wonderful. I have been considering it because Jeri keeps mentioning it, if only I had more space... How is the fragrance?
    Thanks for posting,
    Masha

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

lovely roses...

I feel your first photo of Chicago Peace captures its true essence beautifully! Chicago Peace is not exactly an easy rose to take a photo of because its colors tend to get distorted by digital cameras...I was very surprised to see the real flower at my nursery; it wasn't at all like the garish colors that I often see on the internet... And I think your photo captured its beauty and vividness perfectly.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Your roses are very nice!

Here's a Precious Platinum Hybrid Tea Rose I purchased from
    Heirloom Roses and planted in 2007. For those of you who like red roses.

{{gwi:1252527}}

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Chicago Peace has been a fav of mine for 20+ years. I'm glad this rose has been re-discovered and your picture will sell a ton more! Super.

Nice to see Charles Aznavour in different stages. I keep threatening Pristine and Secret with him.

The man who was a major force behind the San Jose antique rose garden (if it is the same) certainly knew roses. How do you like Snowbird's performance?

• Tammy Owens
    14 years ago

Beautiful roses! (and pics) I love the ruffled look of Tuscan Sun... I may have to get one!

Thanks for posting them, Tammy

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Masha, DH says Snowbird has medium to strong scent, winey.
    Jim, PP is a pretty red. I love red roses.
    Iris, I sp'd both Pristine (no redeeming qualities in my yard) and Secret (uneven performance), but Charles Aznavour is just an everblooming fool. Yes, the grower of Snowbird was very involved in the SJ Heritage Rose Garden, a truly amazing place in spring. Snowbird grows in mostly shade with hot mid-day sun, between two houses. It has good foliage, no disease here. Its buds are tiny and open into very full blooms. I am happy with it.
    Thanks all, for the nice comments.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living