Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some rather pleasant surprises

Posted by the_bustopher Kansas City, MO (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 19:39

We had a severe thunderstorm this morning that packed some wind and a little over an inch of rain. After the temper tantrum was over, and I looked around, I was greeted by a few that managed to weather the storm quite well. This first picture is one of my favorite floribundas that came as a band from Vintage, Lili Marleen. My camera just cannot quite get the color right, but it sure does well even as a small plant. My big one does just fine.

Lili Marleen-band

The next two are the new hybrid tea rose Malibu from J&P. It has a nice color, and has begun to show some quality flowers even in our stifling heat and humidity.

Malibu-side

Malibu-top

I also have seen that honeybees like my sweet basil flowers, I finally got one second bloom on John Hopper and Marbree and some repeat buds forming on my Duchesse de Rohan. Maybe I won't have to think about getting rid of them for not reblooming. Blanc de Vibert is another matter. I am also getting some nice tomatoes and peppers coming in also. I hope you like the pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some rather pleasant surprises

Lili Marleen is just amazing. I really enjoyed that a lot. Glad to hear things are going well in your garden and thanks for sharing those.

Kate

o

Glad your roses and other plants weathered the storm ok. Nice pics!

o

Nice pics and lovely rose plants, bustopher! You're in Kansas City just like me..., I love the overcast cool days and the rain because it makes my roses not get roasted into puffball/cabbage patch shapes, and I can finally get the classical hybrid tea form...

We too got pelted in Kansas City Overland Park with huge winds and thunderstorm. I was shocked to find out that my crazy large tomato cages on their spindly legs were not blown over on my patio, with nothing tied to them to anchor them down, just the young climbing roses, LOL! looks like the gaps between the patio were enough to keep them in place. I was so relieved....

o

Wonderful photos. Looks like you live by a forest--lucky you. Lili Marlene is a great rose. Malibu, too.
Kathy

o

Malibou looks sensational!! I don't have a quilled rose, and I've never seen a quilled that color before. Plus as an added bonus it has darker edges!! Does it have scent? That's a rose that I would like to have!!!

Carol

o

I do not notice a strong scent from Malibu. I will have to see what it is like when the weather is not too hot. As for quilling, this rose reminds me a bit of another orange hybrid tea that was a former AARS winner known as Command Performance. It is on the hard-to-find side, but it was a solid orange rather than blended, and it quilled its petals also. It also bloomed in candelabra form more of what one would expect of a grandiflora. It was a nice rose also.

o

The color (not the shape) reminds me of an orange Elizabeth Taylor. ET has the same shading on the rims of the petals.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here