Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy9norcal

Who likes the July heat?

kathy9norcal
11 years ago

Here are a bunch of currently blooming, happy roses. I recently sprayed a packet of Miracle-gro and it really shows. Blooms are a bit smaller and don't last as long when its over 90, but they keep on coming.

Vavoom I am liking this one better all the time. It has spread wide and is full of small, brilliant blooms.

Sultry is a very weak bush here which needs more TLC than I have given it. It may go into a big pot this winter because the blooms are huge and wonderful to me.

Outrageous I have given it more room and it just ate up the miracle-gro. My only wish is that the stems were stronger.

Mon Cheri Foliage looks awful, it just isn't happy in its spot but it keeps on putting out these blooms. Maybe one more year will be the trick.

Just Joey is in prime real estate and is a bloom machine.

Double Delight went into a pot after performing badly for years. I think it is much happier now.

Tuscan Sun

Evelyn was going to be sp'd for lack of blooms and terrible blooms. She thought she better step up to prevent that.

Eye Paint, a climber I love.

Ebb Tide is more magenta in the heat, still pretty, but the blooms do not appreciate extreme heat. (Neither do I.)

Thanks for looking!

Comments (8)

• lesmc
    11 years ago

WoW!! Your roses are outstanding. Did you spray the Miracle Grow or give them a drink.? I am loving my Vavoom,also. It is such a vibrant color. Thank you for sharing your roses with me. Mine are gone for now. Weeks of 100 plus have put them in rest mode. Lesley

• socks
    11 years ago

Lovely!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Wow, also. I'm impressed with all your roses and their performance in the heat. Outrageous is certainly living up to her name. I'd love to grow that one. My Evelyns are in lala land right now. Maybe it's time for me to break out the Miracle Grow, too. Diane

• inga007
    11 years ago

Should have worn shades.....
    The Vavoom realy does... :>)

I predict a couple of these lovely photos ending up as my "wallpaper"

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Love your Vavoom...mine is not doing so well :(

Also, I just received Eye Paint from Vintage Gardens this past week. It's just such a pretty rose. I didn't realize that there wa a climing version...that must be beautiful!

My Ebb Tide is doing the same thing...magenta! I love how deep the purple is during early Spring & Fall when it's cooler outside. Same for Twilight Zone...bring on Fall!!!

Tammy

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Your roses look like they're loving the heat, Kathy!

My Vavoom just bloomed too. I also have a nice flush on Elle and Crimson Bouquet right now. And the heat hasn't slowed the minis down a bit. The blooms are smaller and sometimes the colors are faded but they are blooming.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

Your roses look like they are doing okay. Everything here is fried or scorched. The few roses I have that are blooming are hardly bigger than miniatures.

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lesley, I used a hose sprayer so it all went in the ground (Miracle-gro). It really perked things up.

Tammy, Eye Paint is not listed as a climber but in fall, it started throwing very long climbing canes. So I moved it to a brass trellis that the Mister made for me. I will post a photo of it on the gallery. A number of non-climbers have to climb here. Evelyn is another.

Well, we are having a very hot spell right now, so the picnic may be over. Our hellish summer heat seems lighter than usual while everyone else is suffering. Go figure.

Just wanted to mention that Vavoom is now about 3 years in the garden and has really become a vigorous grower. It demands attention. It knew I was on the fence and it really came through.

Thanks for all your commments!
    K