Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

My rose pot garden

canadian_rose
10 years ago

Here is a picture of some of my roses in pots. We've had a really, really bad summer - flooding, cold weather, etc. My tomato plants don't even have fruit on them.
Rosarians here have very few flowers.
BUT one of the benefits of roses in pots is that you can direct where amendments are and the roots get warmer than when they're in this cool ground.
Carol

Comments (37)

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is Tiffany.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is Gemini - our cold weather has made Gemini very dark

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is Night Owl.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is Abraham Darby

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another Gemini with my dirt hand in the picture. Notice the jacket - quite cold here.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Just Joey

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Chicago Peace.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Rock N' Roll or Rock & Roll. Are they the same rose or different ones?

Thanks for looking.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Julio Iglesias. Wonderful scent.
    Carol

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

What a beautiful collection of roses, the pots are lovely as well! I think I need to add Tiffany to my Wish List.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Carol - You have some lovely roses. Your Queen of Sweden is beautiful. Your Tiffany looks different than mine, but I like it. They all look healthy. I'm sure you have different challenges than I do in your zone, looks like you do a good job. Appreciate the pics. Please be careful.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you two!
    Krista - I got the pots from Costco for $30.00. Not sure if you have Costco were you live.

Sara-Ann - Queen of Sweden is my favorite (along with Gemini) of those pictured above. My QOS looked very different when I first got it - much smaller cupped shaped blooms with not many inner petals. Now it's in its 3rd year and the blooms are much bigger and more fully petaled. So that may be what you're seeing withTiffany, since I got it last fall. Could have yet to grow into its potential. For example most of my fragrant roses have had to grow into their fragrances - 2 or 3 years before the fragrance comes. Don't know why? Thanks for your kind words!
    Carol

• dove_song
    10 years ago

Oh, Hon, I totally get where you are coming from. I have a neurological condition as well--that being Multiple Sclerosis in my case. Really admire your fortitude, Carol, for growing these wonderful roses in pots. Thanks so much for sharing them with us, my dear!! :-)

Take good care.

Deb

This post was edited by dove_song on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 12:58

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes Deb!!
    Not good forecast for either of us. But we live in the now. And now is good enough!!
    But it really is funny, with me starting to topple over, pressing the camera button. LOL Thank goodness for idiot proof cameras.
    Carol

• dove_song
    10 years ago

Yep, Carol, we certainly live in the now. And happily so, I might add!! LOL I remember one of the first times the kids and I went to one of the grocery stores here, and I kept dropping every thing I picked up. The kids were amazed and kept laughing. I was laughing too! And then there was the time one morning whenI went to a book store here, and my balance was seriously off. A lady in the book store kept glaring at me and looking at me angrily. I think she must have thought I was drunk. :-p Over time, I've learned that I've just got to roll with it. At any given moment, happiness is choice, for certain sure!!! :-)

Deb

This post was edited by dove_song on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 11:39

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You've nailed it!! You just have to laugh about it and keep going.
    ((((((hugs))))))
    Carol

• dove_song
    10 years ago

((((((hugs)))))) right back at you, Carol!! :o)

Deb

• Holly Kline
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I love your stripeys, they look great!

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!
    Julio's flowers are much smaller than Rock & Roll. Julio so far has a much sharper and stronger scent.

Carol

• inga007
    10 years ago

Your photos are, as lovely, as your roses.
    Keep up the good work!!!!!!!

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Inga!
    Truly must be the camera then - because I start to fall over every single time!!! LOL Quite funny.

• prickles
    10 years ago

Carol,

your roses are beautiful--thank you for sharing them with us. Just Joey and Ab Darby are so so very tempting! Unfortunately Ab is a rust magnet for many gardeners here in SoCa, so I shan't attempt the impossible. Just Joey is just lovely. Oh, there's no coffin-sized bed in sight?! LOL... I like your neighor's sense of humor--it'd have been funnier if you were to tell him out of mischief those twin beds were your pet cemetery.

This post was edited by prickles on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 2:22

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, that would have been funnier! I was much younger then, and not so quick on my feet at comebacks. :)

Yeah, we don't get much rose disease here. But one that really surprised me by being a disease magnet is Royal Amethyst. I've NEVER had a rose that had more than one diseased leaf at a time. We just don't get much disease. But Royal Amethyst had blackspot over the entire bush. I just shovel pruned it today. :) So I know what you mean about not wanting disease prone roses.
    Carol

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

WOW Carol very nice! Great pics! :)

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!!
    :)

Funny about my Queen of Sweden. Earlier in the year it had 4" blooms. Now it's back to normal (for here) and the blooms are sweet cups and saucers about 2-3 inches wide. Looks like a totally different rose.
    Carol

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Beautiful potted roses.
    You were going to do some crosses this summer, am I correct? Did you end up pursuing that?

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Good memory!
    Yes, I tried doing crosses this summer. NONE of them worked. I don't know why. We did have a really cool May, June and July with flooding.
    However, in late July I tagged a flower on each rose and left it for the bees. Thirteen (out of my 40) roses have a hip. Some of the hips are starting to change color. Many are quite large.
    So, then I thought that I would try again. So I tagged a rose from every pot yesterday (Aug. 26). Now I know there's no time for those to form hips and ripen, since we're supposed to have an early winter. HOWEVER! Since they are in pots, I'm going to leave the hips on the roses and let them ripen in the garage on the plants. I'll see if that works. Who knows? :)

The ones that I know have hips are:

Mr. Linoln
    Nicole Carol Miller
    Abraham Darby
    Charles Austin
    Rock & Roll
    Just Joey
    Perfume Delight
    Double Delight
    Peter Mayle
    Frederic Mistral
    Gemini
    All American Magic
    Chicago Peace
    Julio Iglesias

So, we'll see. :)
    Then comes the hard part - getting the seeds to grow and survive.

And thanks for the compliment on my roses. I have tons more pictures; just have to get them on the computer. :)
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donald, how is your hybridizing going? You have seedlings already don't you? Any pictures?
    Carol

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi- I hope you do get some open-pollenated seedlings. I have a few this year: one OP seedling of Carefree Delight that is like Mom but double. I also have about nine OP seedlings from (I believe) Flower Carpet Red Velvet that are quite promising.
    I made a few crosses last summer. I lost a bunch to damping-off in the spring but I have four seedlings of Easy Going x Bonica, one of which I quite like (see link).
    I did quite a few crosses this year and have about a hundred hips currently ripening so the fingers are crossed.
    Good luck with your OP hips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Going x Bonica on HMF

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! That's a stunning rose!!!! Well done!!! Talk about beautiful. The color is fantastic. And the shape is unusual - love it. Looks like you have a winner. Anything going to happen to it - selling, etc?

You have about a HUNDRED hips!! Really!!! Wow that's a lot. You'll have a lot of work in the spring.

That darn damping off. I think I'm going to try honey as an antibacterial agent for the seeds and for the seedlings. Someone on this forum said she used it for cutting canes for rooting. I've tried it, and it works. So maybe you could try honey???
    Seriously gorgeous rose.
    Carol

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Thanks very much, Carol. I'm glad you like it. The next steps will be to evaluate it for another year and see what kind of shape it has. Then I'll reproduce it and send it to Zone 3- I have a brother and a sister who are gardeners in Alberta. My goal is to create better zone 3 roses, and since it has Bonica as a parent there's a chance it might be cold-hardy. It is certainly disease-resistant here on the coast.
    For damping off, some people put a layer of fine perlite on top of the soil when seeding- it seems to impede damping off. Also adding a bit of hydrogen peroxide to the water when watering will help. I am going to try that next spring.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to try that too. Sounds like great ideas. I'm also going to do something with the honey. Not sure what. :)
    Good luck with all of your hybridizing plans. I'm very excited for you!!
    Carol

• dragoonsers
    10 years ago

Amazing roses- just looking great!

How big are the containers (in gallons)? And what mix do you use? I'm thinking of starting a container rose garden myself!

Hamza

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband says they're about 20 gallons.

I just use potting soil. :) - it has a combination of soil with peat moss. Pretty basic.

But I fertilize weekly with kelp, fish oil and compost tea from the worms that I vermiculture and from regular compost (tea collection included in the design.) Once a month I fertilize with a chemical fertilizer.

Have fun!
    Carol

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I love your garden. The pots are beautiful lined up in rows. Everything is so green. A wonderful, restful space to be. And of course the flowers look great too.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!!
    I've also added 10 peony roots/corms??? this year - so should have lots of blooms from them too.

Here's a picture of one of my 3 standard poodles next to my bare root pots. That spot is more shaded to give them an easier time of it.

Oh well, the pictures was rejected. I'm off to bed. :)
    Carol