Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

Green Ice.....You must see it! !!!!!!!!

ronda_in_carolina
17 years ago

Descriptions of this rose do it no justice. I wasnÂt even interestedÂ. until I saw it in bloom for myself.

Tight pink buds open to a pale blushÂ...roses then morph from that pale pink to white and then take on the most soothing green cast. The cool green 'eye' of the rose sets the entire bouquet off to perfection.

I could go on...but hopefully this picture will show you what a beautiful pallet this rose provides:

I should mention that this rose has had multiple flushes for me despite horrible cold, spring rains followed by an unrelenting heat wave. We have had the most extreme weather this yearÂ.and the foliage is immaculate. The kicker being that this rose has only been in the ground since spring. I got it from RU (own root) and it is behaving like a well adjusted 3 yr old!

Yes....ÂI do love this rose!

Thanks for looking ....perhpas I enabled you a wee little bit?!! ;o)

Ronda

Comments (21)

• cambel
    17 years ago

Rhonda,

That is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

Scott

• jean_ar
    17 years ago

That is certainly a gorgeous looking rose. Thanks for sharing it.I might have to have one.

Jean

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Rhonda, that is a cute thing. Jean, I am all for multiple flushes, but against hot flashes.

• msrose
    17 years ago

Well, I've never been interested in the rose either, but you certainly make it sound great and the picture is gorgeous.

Laurie

• carla17
    17 years ago

Wow, I like the different stages. It is pretty.

Carla

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

I have three Green Ices--just love them. Mine were also planted this spring and once they settled in, haven't quit blooming. And no disease either.

Love your picture!

Kate

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine looks great towards the front of the bed and it won't get too tall...good for hiding nekked knees of some roses. Apparently the heat doesn't matter since mine gets full Western sun. Despite this heat wave that is how it looked at 6:00 after a full days bake.

• msrose
    17 years ago

Ronda,

Do you have thrips? I usually avoid light colored roses because of them, but I know there are certain lighter roses that they don't bother.

Laurie

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do have thrips. I dont remember this rose having brown blooms tho. The other roses had them...albeit reduced by the Bayer--but I never put any Bayer product near this rose. Ill go out and pull a bloom apart and check for ya....BRB

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok You are never gonna believe this.....the blooms do have thrips...lots of them!! But they blooms are unaffected. Here is how the bush looks now...keep in mind the weather we have been having...and yet..no visible thrip damage despite the number of thrips in each bloom. You can see the pic above (taken the same day I posted it) no damage to the buds either. This rose is a KEEPER.

sorry about the flash

This is a new plant (this spring) and to show you how well it is growing (own roots) I have inserted a 'model' for size comparison. Macie-Moo weighs 8 lbs.

sorry about the blur...I was laughing at her.

• msrose
    17 years ago

Thanks, Ronda! I just added it to my list.

Macie-Moo looks like she has a smile on her face. What a cutie!

Laurie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Dang Rhonda, that's one big thrip! ;-))

I like this rose a lot, I just haven't found space for one. One day! Thanks for the photos of GI and Macie-Moo!

• pagan
    17 years ago

my Green Ice is a keeper as well - the only mini I have! She keeps on chugging, despite being chomped on by deer every time she gets a bit of growth!

• char_rose
    17 years ago

Green Ice is a real trooper--just keeps blooming and blooming. It is a very neat plant too. It should be placed where you can appreciate the great bloom. Mine isn't very high but is wide...and just covered with blooms even when we had 12 days of over 100 degrees. Did I mention that it has really bright green foliage that is clean. Definitely a keeper.

• the_morden_man
    17 years ago

Thanks Rhonda for the pics and inspiration to post. Hope you don't mind me adding to this.

Yup, GI is simply one of the best mini's out there and my personal favorite next to Sweet Chariot, of which it makes a nice companion plant.

Kate, glad you are enjoying your Green Ice's....:)

I have been growing GI in a container now for I guess about 3 years after having previously planted them in the ground. In the winter, I simply place the container right against the south wall of my house, hidden behind John Davis and a couple of Dublin Bay's and add no other winter protection. Green Ice comes through just fine whereas others have perished with this Darwinian treatment in the past.

To me, Green Ice is a more compact version of the Polyantha "The Fairy", except white and well, green. GI blooms later than most roses, is cane hardy, disease resistant, very floriferous and the blooms last a good two weeks on the bush as they fade from pure white/pink to a cool greenish hue. Most other miniatiures are simply green with envy.

Here are a few pics taken this June that show the buds mixed with the first few blooms that open white. The later pics start showing how the bloom colour ages from pure white and slowly turns to the greenish hue of which its famous name is derived. Enjoy.

Just starting to flush.
    {{gwi:1262165}}

{{gwi:1262166}}

Mostly in flush...
    {{gwi:1262167}}

{{gwi:1262168}}

The blooms on the bush after about 1 week and some are starting to fade from white to a greenish hue.
    {{gwi:1262169}}

{{gwi:1262170}}

Okay, at this point the blooms were on the bush for about 2.5 to 3 weeks.

{{gwi:1262171}}

{{gwi:1262172}}

{{gwi:1262173}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

Hey there, morden_man--love your pictures, and thanks for the earlier good words about this wonderful little rose I bought on impulse. It has lived up to everything you said.

: )

Kate

• msrose
    17 years ago

Okay, y'all have twisted my arm. I'm getting this one next year!

Laurie

• tenor_peggy
    17 years ago

Hmmm, this rose cascades nicely. I may have to seriously consider this one. :-)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

Double Wowzer. She goes on my list for next year. The thrips report was very helpful. I too am getting very tired of thrips damaged white roses.

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

These pictures are lovely.

Florence

• duchesse_nalabama
    17 years ago

Another one I want. Wait, no, make that need. Thanks for the pics. Can't wait. Annie