Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becr_gw

Shining Hope plonk

BecR
14 years ago

Hi all~

I just wanted to share this photo taken by me today. The roses in the bouquet are my pink Shining Hope aka Our Lady of Guadalupe roses, along with some Rose Petal Syrup that I made from my red roses which were blooming a few weeks ago. Delicious!!! The recipe is from Glynnis, a Cottage Garden friend of mine. I hope you enjoy my plonk...

Becky

Comments (14)

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

Oh!!! That's like a fairy-land photo (or something wonderfully sweet and precious) :) A poet I am not. :)

But it's a heavenly picture. I don't know if I've ever seen a nicer picture in my life!!!

And you made rose syrup!!! Is it for pancakes?? What does it taste/smell like?

Can you share the recipe?

Wow!!
    Carol

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

That pic should be in a magazine! WOW!

• cjolliff
    14 years ago

Fantastic photo. I like the detail all the way down to the buds on the table, and the art on the cup. Everything looks good together, even the color of the syrup matching the center of the roses.

Thanks for sharing
    CJ

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

Oh, brav-O!!!

• BecR
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone, for your kind words!!! :D

Canadian Rose (Carol)~ here is the quoted recipe as it appeared in the Cottage Garden forum, written by GGG:

Rose petal syrup: 2 cups water, 4 cups petals, 2 cups sugar
    Heat the water to boil, add sugar and stir and turn off the heat. Add rose petals and simmer for an hour. The darker the petals the darker the syrup - adding orange or yellow petals can make it brownish (see mine) so a few drops of red food coloring can come in handy if you think you need it!

I did much the same with Red Clover but used more flowers and boiled, then turned it off and let the petals steep overnight, then strained it. Mostly just sweet but very good for you!

Try it with lavender, lemonbalm (but it will be brown) and rosemary (over pound cake!!)

p.s. You can drizzle rose syrup over waffles or pancakes, stir into your favorite beverage such as tea, lemonade or ice-water,or cocktails, -or- thicken with a little confectioner's sugar and use as a glaze for cakes or pastries.

Cheers :) Becky

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

WOW !!!! How incredibly gorgeous is that ??? It has a way of stirring up all six senses :-)

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Great picture! Can I come over for tea and rose syrup?:-)

Masha

• BecR
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anytime Masha! Would love to all my rose garden friends over for an afternoon tea!! I'll make the scones and rose syrup...

:) Becky

• bloodyfrancois
    14 years ago

Becky- That is very sweet.
    Kai

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Becr, that is such a gorgeous, delicious photo! I thought it was a magazine beauty pic! that would even put Home & Gardens to shame, hehe! Beautiful petals and what a cascade of pink! The lighting in that photo with the beautiful arrangement is absolutely luminous!

I love gourmet cooking and have only baked sugared rose petals--have never made them into honey yet...The only other rose endeavor I've made was making lovely rose flowers out of marzipan that I mixed with cherry preserves juice. The juice would turn the almond marzipan paste into a pink color... Because it was very sticky, I'd roll it between 2 sheets of wax paper and then cut strips and layer it and mold them into petal shapes... Alas, I couldn't find my own marzipan rose photos so that was why I didn't respond soon enough.

I can't wait to try out your recipe---once I get all the roses to bloom 4 cups worth, hahaha! I've been hoarding all my roses and can't get myself to cut any! yet, but hopefully soon, if Fragrant Cloud and Aromatherapy continue goin' crazy with their blooms...

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

What a delightful picture. Great composition--It would make a great painting.

You should send it to Victoria Magazine.

May I join the tea party--It sounds wonderful

Florence

• BecR
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all~ thank you all so much for the nice comments.

Serena, I hope you find the photo of your rose marzipan. Marzipan is so delicious! I would love to see your photo.

Hi Florence, you and all of my rosey friends are always more than welcome to join me for a cuppa!!

Cheers everyone,
    Becky

• dove_song
    12 years ago

Ohhh, Becky, this is such a precious photo!!! I couldn't let it just roll off Garden Web's Rose Gallery! It would be an awful shame to lose it. May I show this heavenly photo to my friends & family on Facebook? I will give the credit to you. Cheers and thank you sooo much for sharing this with us! It is a "dream come true" photo to be sure!!! :~)

• lesmc
    12 years ago

You made my morning! What a beautiful picture....Come on Spring! Can`t wait for my garden to wake up. You are very talented. Thanks for sharing. Lesley

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!