Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Vacation Homecoming

boxofrox
12 years ago

I've often returned from vacation to major disappointments (half dead plants, etc ;-) but this year, I was very pleasantly surprised at the kaleidoscope that greeted me. Everything was extremely thirsty so I took the camera to snap some shots while they were getting drunk ;-) Here's some of my pleasant surprise, thanks for looking and hope you enjoy.

I cut this little sampler bouquet for momma.........

The Wall of Easy is erupting, here's Livin'

Livin and Goin'

Goin'

Ginger Syllabub

Blaze of Glory

America

White Eden

Double Delight

Sunset Celebration

Darlow's Enigma

Midnight Blue w/ Summer Ice daphne

Attack of the Clems

Comments (20)

• inga007
    12 years ago

Welcome back. I'm glad to see your roses have survived your absence.
    I drooled over most of the fotos.
    Clems seem to be doing well this year, here as well, even with this heat.

More...more...

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

Nice pictures, as always. Glad to see you are back. Hope you had a good trip.

• Zyperiris
    12 years ago

Boro, how does that Ginger Syllabub do for you? I have a lovely Octavia Hill rose...and I want to plant something next to her..can't decide.

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms! I wish my GINGER SYLLABUB would look as good as yours! That's just gorgeous! And I can't believe you have daphne blooming now. Mine blooms around March.

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

Welcome back, thanks for the pretty pictures! Best wishes with the neighbor situation, I hope it's resolved soon.

I had to look up 'Syllabub' to see what it means, what an interesting dessert! And a beautiful rose, I love the color.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Gorgeous photos--everything looks so lush and green and colorful! The lush green probably really sticks out for me--we are into excessively hot and dry season now--nothing is lush--although a number of the roses are still blooming.

Kate

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Inga.........Thanks, I agree that clems have been awesome this year, I might have to do an OT: Clems-R-US post at the end of the season ;-)

bustopher.....Thanks, we had a great trip to Sunriver (Oregon near Mt Bachelor). It was our first time there and it surely will not be the last. So different than here which made it awesome both to go and to come back :-)

Zyp.......this is only year two but it is both lovely and loaded. It's on an east facing fence with trees on the west so it doesn't get as much sun as it would probably like but I'm still falling in love with it.

beth.......thanks so much, I counted 147 GS buds pre vacation I think so I couldn't ask for more. Summer Ice almost seems to bloom all year long almost. I have three other ones that bloom in Feb, Mar, & Apr. The 'Odora' and the 'Wilhelm Schact' are more fragrant but 'Summer Ice' ain't bad.

peachy........thanks, I just tripped across it when looking for a climber and am tickled. The neighbor situation is frustratingly unfortunate. A younger me would have turned the whole thing explosive by now but in today's world you just can't risk consequence. I have a wife, a cat, two puppies, and some very expensive Koi that are about 20' from the mess. I'll try the carrot and sugar route a bit longer but then they will have to make their excuses to the Fire Marshall :-(

Kate.......we are so, so, so green this year. That's what no 70 degree weather till June 15th does for you. Most of my rose pics are of the bloom, here's some green......;-)

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

WELCOME BACK BOXO!!!!!! WELCOME BAAAACK! I've missed YOU!!!! I love the "Stairway to Heaven" views, lol! Spectacular!!!! Fabulosa Ginger and Cinnamon-ey America making things SPICY!!!! I say cinnamon, because Climbing America does have that cinnamon note in its fragrance. Wow, those Clems are really making a Go-Go Display. Oh, my goodness, do I stilllll see your Superman Hansas STILLLL Blooming??? If so, that is one PROLIFIC Rugosa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's almost as if it's going head-to-head with Darlow in number of blooms if you count how long its flowering season is. Hope it encourages everyone to go get a rugosa instead of a boring KO.

Boxo I'm again very late to post. I saw 2 upsetting things today that are making me ill to my stomach. Spent all day protesting on the U.S. border collie forum....The use of shock collars to train sheepherding border collies (most Americans are against it, but there are a few that defend this practice whether in the U.S. or overseas). A border collie is a very intelligent, hypersensitive and keen dog. You can truly break the spirit of a border collie doing this. Any Problem B.Cs should never be on the field and should never be allowed to herd sheep in the first place either. Why people want to do this cruel practice is beyond me. And now I will make a ton of rose folks super mad--- there's a new Sevin product that will be used for the lawns to control grubs. This will spell the end for the bumblebees who nest in the ground...I have to make a new post soon. Shield your eyes Boxo. It's not gonna be pretty with what I have to say. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, that's what's coming out of KG tonight....

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

KG,

Not to worry, let me address last first :-)

I used to breed, raise, and show purebred Arabian horses. I had to get out before I killed someone for how they were abusing ALL ages. They beat the crap out of babies, stick ginger up where the sun shineth not to make their tail stand up and cosmetically altered them by slicing huge filets out of their necks to make their throat latch appear small and then got rewarded by perverted judges who knew it and still pinned them as National Champions so I get it. Idiotic people without principle flocked to these freaks as breeding animals and repeated the same processes when their clones didn't measure up and we get upset because some people like different roses, go figger :-(

My rugosas pretty much bloom nonstop once they start, lots of bang for the buck.

Stairway to Heaven is also the red in that bouquet, coincidentally.

Darlow is going nuts even after I whacked the crap out of it to keep it manageable.

• Zyperiris
    12 years ago

Hummm Methinks I have a Ginger Syllabub in my rose future

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Boxo, that is sooo horrible I'd be frothing at the mouth the way they abuse those poor Arabians. that is sooo terrible!!! Makes me want to do some slicing on their necks like the Queen of Roses from Alice in Wonderland....Ironies of Ironies... Yeah, off with their heads, the whole lot! I cannot believe people abuse their animals this way... I just finished my post, on the rose forum at exactly 5:05 a.m. ...I found out that a very evil Bayer has been pulling the strings like those perverted judges you speak about so vividly. All traces of a more benign chemical pesticide that can be substituted for Merit/Sevin has mysteriously vanished online....All the links and international papers outlining the dangers to honeybees that Sevin has was likewise taken down. Something is not right, extremely fishy about what's been happening. Someone is being "bought off" The Bayer company not only controls the majority of pesticides used in the U.S. they also produce our pharmaceuticals....Boxo I am even more sad and upset. Without those scientific papers and cross-referenced links I have no persuasive data to show. My post was completely watered down and I totally wussed out. I regret wussing out. Geez! No ranting and raving that I could have and should have done. Without those papers and data I just come across as another tree hugger instead of someone with real, valid concerns.

Boxo, at least thank God you can rant and rave about those poor Arabians. A lot of people here have a real passion for horses and they need to know about these evil-doers abusing the animals! It is absolutely heartless!! and heartbreaking!

On a happier note, after finishing my post at 5:05 a.m. I told myself I have had enough of a crappy bad day- I'm gonna re-visit Boxo's thread and sit and reflect on Momma's peaceful bouquet instead of Finger pointing and screaming bloody Murder at Bayer, lol! So here I am, hahaha, getting some cool lemonade before the sun rises, at exactly 5:30 a.m., hee-hee! Zyperiris, yeah, that Ginger Syllabub Sings!!!!

Boxo you do know that you have the magic touch with Hansa, don't you, lol! People say it has decent rebloom but decent is not the same as your Totally Over-the-Top Outstanding Rebloom :D

• lesmc
    12 years ago

You could not imagine how much I look forward to your photos! Your garden is so lush and just beautiful. I grow 130 roses, but I don`t get the amount of blooms you do! Your bouquets are so lovely and I can imagine the joy they bring. Thank you for sharing your garden, it is appreciated. Lesley

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow Lesley, thank you so much for those kind words. It is my pleasure to share :-)

When I read your post this morning, I was thinking about a dear friend from the retirement center that passed on Monday and how I was going to honor him with the biggest and best bouquet I could assemble. He was an awesome and gracious man who lived a life anyone would be proud of. He was a dentist and his wife a florist before they retired. They provided all the cut flowers for the center, he built a garden for the seniors, and he was everyone's favorite. He loved each and every bouquet I would bring for him and his wife and whenever he introduced me to others it was prefaced by "This is my mentor *****." It was actually he who was mine, what a lucky man am I to have known such a class act.

KG, I had to let it go............the lowest class of bottom feeders per capita anywhere exist within the horse business :-( Actually it's a pretty telling commentary on human nature as a whole though.

• reneyda
    12 years ago

Breathtaking...

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

From the bouquet to the garden shots, all gorgeous, boxo! Do you know the name of that gorgeous double clem?

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks yous twos.............;-)

seil, I'm thinking I narrowed it down to Kiri Te Kanawa which is listed on T&L's site as a double dark blue. It's so full that I'd take that times two :-)

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Your garden has so many lovely and interesting plants, a wonderful collection. Thanks for sharing.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Welcome back Boxofrox! All your plants are looking great and I enjoyed the garden pics!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Thanks for the fix, Boxo.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Wow - I never knew such things happened to show horses. It's pretty gross. Also border collies - !!!

Anyway - those are the most beautiful clems I have ever seen - the double purple ones - oh my goodness!!!!!

That's also the nicest White Eden pic I've ever seen.

Love your Darlow's Enigma - that is such a lovely rose. Wish I had one.

I am really starting to like Ginger Syllabus - my goodness that's a wonderful looking rose.

Your bouquet is stellar as always. I'm really like the colors you put in there. Too bad about your friend. But it's nice that you gave him a lot of lovely roses over the years and shared companionship with him. I'm sure you'll give him a stellar bouquet for his wife/funeral. And I'm sure that he'll smile when he sees it.

You're a good person and a fantastic rose grower!!

Carol

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer