Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English Sonnet

Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 22:45

This rose amazes me every year. You have to watch it open.
The bud
English Sonnet bud 1
English Sonnet bud 2

Starting to open
English Sonnet opening 1
English Sonnet opening 2

Peak
English Sonnet opening 3

Then BOING!
English Sonnet open 1
It opens fully to reveal TONS of petals!
English Sonnet open 2
It's always such a surprise!

Hope you enjoyed the journey!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English Sonnet

So cute! what a charmer!

o

What a surprising end to the lovely "journey"......
It looks like a different bloom, in the end.

o

It's like watching the Disney movie about the living desert --or something like that--which showed the flowers opening right in front of us. Cool!

Kate

o

OMG, what a beauty! Tell us more about it!

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 11:11

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed it!

Queenbee, ES is a floribunda from Harkness, 1991, with a long list of names. If you're looking for it check out King Arthur, Lawrence of Arabia, Samaritan and Fragrant Surprise (which is odd because I don't detect much fragrance from it) but the exhibition name is English Sonnet. It's compact and small, about 2 x 2 feet, and the blooms are about 3 inches. Has good disease resistance, only a touch of black spot occasionally and no powdery mildew ever. Probably due to the very shiny, glossy dark green leaves. It winters very well and is usually green to the tips in spring. It also has a very good bloom power and short repeat cycle so I get lots of them all summer. All in all it's a great little rose and I don't know why it isn't better known.

o

Interesting and very pretty. Thanks for posting.

o

Ms. Seil what a wonderful idea and the photography is outstandind. Thanks for sharing.
Harold

o

Lovely photos. I bought it way back as Samaritan. I love the progression of bloom that you showed so well. I wish mine was a bigger bush and had more flowers. It is a favorite!

o

• Posted by jim1961 Z 5/6 Central Pa (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 13:28

Love how you took pics of each stage of it opening...Great looking rose too!

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 21:01

Thanks all!

Kathy, like I said, mine isn't very big either but it does bloom a lot for me. It's already had 2 flushes this season and is gearing up for it's third right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here