Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

The Storm after the Calm

boxofrox
14 years ago

Holy schmoly, the unseasonably hot weather here has exploded my garden into color. Roses and glads and Rose of Sharons and dahlias and ........here's a sampling of things I shot while watering today.

Brandy

{{gwi:1264140}}

Lacecap Hydrangea

{{gwi:1264142}}

Outrageous

{{gwi:1264144}}

Dahlia

{{gwi:1264146}}

Flutterbye

{{gwi:1264148}}

Dahlia

{{gwi:1264150}}

LD Braithwaite

{{gwi:1264152}}

First glads

{{gwi:1264154}}

Clematis amongst the roses

{{gwi:1264156}}

Dahlia

{{gwi:1264158}}

Comments (8)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

As always---Awesome!

JIM

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I cut this to sit right next to the oscillating fan in front of my wifes recliner because we will be basement bound for the next week to dodge the heat wave. It's going to be near triple digits and that's pretty dang hot for here :-(

{{gwi:1264160}}

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

and again, lovely roses, dahlias, glads and! a brilliant bouquet too, Boxofrox! My gladiolus have already come and gone (they first started blooming late May, and almost all are now past blooming).. I actually planted them a few weeks apart; but not late enough to get the late summer/early fall blooms that you'll be getting... I love the hummingbird feeder you have in the background too! You'll have to save a hummingbird piccie for me! Bumblebees and hummingbirds are my bouquets, every bit as precious as a rose...

Wow, I can't believe it's in the 100s in the Pacific Northwest? boy that's hot! I thought only places like Louisiana, TX, Kansas, Arizona, get that hot! phewwwww! hope you all can keep cool...My air conditioner broke around July 4, and my house has only 2 windows downstairs that I can open and only 1/2 can be opened upstairs so my house got to be 88 degrees inside when the afternoon sun trikes and that was none too pleasant, LOL! I had that nasty heat for about 2 weeks before the air-conditioning got fixed...But go figure, it turned cooler in Kansas when the air-conditioning got fixed! heheh!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are so kind :-)

This kind of heat is pretty rare and because of that very few people actually have air. Fortunately, I listened to my wife before this heatwave and we bought a portable Sharp for the bedroom upstairs. The rest of the upstairs is uninhabitable. Now you can't even find a fan at the boxstores, let alone an air unit. We've been spending most of our time in the basement because even at night, it hasn't been cooling down enough to enjoy being outside.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

awww, poor you, your wife and! the pups! I know for me this is a shocker with that kind of heat wave where you're at! Who could have overseen that...! Little wonder all the air units were sold out, everyone rushing out to the stores all at once!

Poor pups too, must be absolutely baking in their fluffy fur coats...

I kept trying to put the big fan near Eluane and me in the hot computer room with the puny little fan, but she only wanted to stay near me...

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fortunately, it is quite workable in the basement with just a fan. It only gets to about 75-80 so the pups are fine. We re-filled the hot tub and it's about 80 so it's a refreshing dip ;-) Right now, at 8:21 PM PST it is 95 upstairs here in the office. We are even turning the computer off during the day and only using it in the AM or late at night. It's just too hot and the CPU fan is humming. I get up at 5 and soak everything. My lawn is the only green one for miles and it looks like it's rained for weeks. I'm a stickler for a green lawn. Could be 105 tomorrow where we are and 100 the next day. This is definitely uncharted territory for us.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

When I lived in Portland and it hit the high 80's we thought we'd die. I can't imagine the PNW at 100!

Gorgeous bouquet!!!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks iris gal :-)

Yesterday was officially the hottest day ever here (records kept at Sea Tac since 1891). It was 106 where I live. It actually cooled down to about 101 today :-(

Other than some struggles with hydrangeas, I'm managing to keep ahead of it. My lawn actually looks like a month of rain but it weren't easy to keep it that way ;-)

Here's a few shots from this AM.....

Abraham Darby's new flush

{{gwi:1264162}}
    {{gwi:1234230}}

My first rose, a long ago gift from the nieces, not sure what it is but it's a lot like a shrub version of Joseph's Coat
    {{gwi:1264164}}

Lillies
    {{gwi:1264166}}

Westerland
    {{gwi:1264167}}

Bluebird Rose of Sharon

{{gwi:1264168}}

Brandy

{{gwi:1264169}}

David phlox
    {{gwi:1264170}}

Dahlia