Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

What's Blooming...

TNY78
11 years ago

We had quite a bit of rain over the past week, and it really made the roses go wild! Here's a few of the highlights...

Tammy

Mme Caroline Testout: I still have her potted, but I think next year I'll move her into the ground.

Deja Bleu: I tried it grafted on Dr Huey and lost it, now it seems content as an ownroot rose on my second try with it.

Helen Naude: One of my few HTs, but its earned its place. I really like its soft pink edges.

Bleumenschmidt: One of my only teas :( I really love teas, but they are almost too tender for my zone and have a good amount of die back in the spring!

(I tried to rotate this 5 times & photobucket just won't hold it when I tranfer it over, so tilt your monitor to the left for the right view)

Lion's Fair Tale: always a standout!

Cinco de Mayo: This was my favorite of the roses I added last year in terms of healh and rebloom. A great little performer.

Sunnyside Up: Just a cheerful little nonfading yellow. You can't help but smile when you see it.

Diamond Eyes: New this spring and had a terrible start (it got lost in the back of my pot ghetto and dried out), but its back and better than ever.!

Centennial Star: beautiful soft yellow edges in pink!

Jubilee Celebration: I like that it's not a typical Austin color (also why I love Christopher Marlow)

Hot Cocoa: We have a love hate relationship. I hate the shape of the bush, but love the blooms. It hates that I planted it too close to Rosa Rugosa Alba and is being crowded out :(

Purple Tiger: yes, I have as many problems with it as its reputation, but its such a unique color that it gets to stay.

JFK: It began as a one cane wonder this spring after a bout of canker, but has filled out pretty well since.

Outta the Blue: Always puts on a great show!

Permenant Wave: My "ugly" rose, but its just so funny!

Elizabeth Taylor: A very classy rose...but the blooms are few and far between.

Queen of Hearts Fairy Tale: I love all the Fairy Tale roses that I've tried (with Red Ridnghood leadng the pack) with the exception of Cinderella....just too much BS!

One of my RVR mystery roses....just so cute and petit (but I think its the calm before the rambling storm begins!)

Dixieland Linda: I'm convinced this is a mismarked rose. Its always perfectly yellow, and wants to be a shrub rather than a climber...any thoughts?

Finally, my new favorite of this year...PIED PIPER! I am in shock that this rose doesn't get more attention! Its a nonfading, nonblowing red, and keeps its blooms for over a week. Foliage is disease free here, and the rebloom is excellent! Check out Vintage if you don't have it, they had a few Pied Pipers available on their last release ;)

Comments (13)

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice!
    I really like Deja Blue, Elizabeth Taylor and JFK!! I had Elizabeth Taylor at my old house. I loved that rose. Bloomed its head off. Maybe it likes cooler weather. Yours looks awesome!

I think your mystery rose might be Graham Thomas?
    Carol

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Carol, I really do love Liz Taylor too, just want more of a show :)

I don't think my "Dixieland Linda" is Graham Thomas; I grow that one too. You can't well from the pics, but the blooms are much smaller and less bright than Graham. The closest rose I have to it is Well Being, but its missing the red undertones in the buds....

• inga007
    11 years ago

Love all your photos, but JFK is like 3D, fantastic.
    Glad to see your Liz Taylor is surviving. I just love orange roses, so Queen of Hearts Fairy Tale is my fave.
    Despite the competition, Hot cocoa has a lovely colour.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Diamond eyes is an interesting and striking rose, and one I'd never heard of. I love the Fairy Tale roses, too. Your Queen of Hearts pic is lovely. Could you give us more info about Red Ridinghood? It's one I've wanted for quite a while. Love your pic of your new fave, Pied Piper, another one unknown to me (I must be out of the rose loop). Thanks for posting your yummy rose photos. Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Tammy! I love your JFK! I can't grow it here. The humidity is just too high and those beautiful long buds ball up and will not open. I enjoyed seeing what it can really look like!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Inga, Diane, and Seil!

Don't let JFK fool you Seil, he's fussy here too ;) I just get a good shot every once in awhile.

Diane, I got Red Riding Hood 2 years ago from Palatine. Its almost never without a bloom or bud, and stays healthy in my no spray garden. Its bloom form is VERY similar to Pied Piper (maybe why I like PP so much). Just like PP the color stays and the blooms don't blow. As long as you deadhead, you'll get a wonderful show spring through Fall!

Tammy

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Thanks, Tammy. Now I really want to try RR. As the case with lots of us, I am about out of room, but I reeeally want this rose (and a few more Ascots) Both are from Palatine, too. Diane

• mzstitch
    11 years ago

I'm loving your Jubilee Celebration. This rose is on my wishlist, but I have heard mixed reviews about the plant in general. Can you tell me how old yours is and how would you rate it?
    Beautiful pictures!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mzstitch, I have a kind of a love/hate relationship with Jubilee Celebration. I love the bloom shape and color, but it pretty much completely defoliates right after it's bloom cycle, and doesn't regrow its foliage until its ready to bloom again. I just added it bareroot early this spring directly from David Austin US. Next year I may add it into my spray cycle. It and South Africa are the only two roses in that particular flower bed, and suffer from the same problem.

Tammy

• mzstitch
    11 years ago

Thank you Tammy for the reply. I guess I'll put this one off, as I'm hearing too many negatives. It's such a pretty color though!!

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

They are all lovely, your RVR mystery rose looks very charming.

I like the mix of colors and blooms.

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

As always I love it :)

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    all beauties,..i seem to be drawn to Sunnyside Up,Centennial Star,Dixieland Linda and Pied Piper,the latter has a lot going for it,amazing bloom from Diamond Eyes after its almost fatal accident.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH