Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

some effects of our drought and heat

It is no secret that we in the middle of the country have been having a severe drought that is the worst since the 1950s. Here in the Kansas City area it is now almost the 80th day of this horror. Below are some pictures of what this looks like. The first example is a normal picture of the beautiful rose Munstead Wood.

{{gwi:222300}}

The above is normal. Below is what the heat did to it even though this one is in a pot and getting watered every day.

The horror is my corn in a raised bed which I also did last year and had great results. This corn was watered every day and still got severely scorched in the heat as shown below.

The ears of the corn are looking a lot like this one. I will probably wind up pulling all of it out and dumping it.

I hope and pray that this situation will be turned around soon and for the better, but I wonder when and if it will happen soon enough. Sorry, but this is not a glorious and beautiful picture situation, but at least you can see what is going on in a small scale.

Comments (8)

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Im speechless..... Thats horrible!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I know what you mean,bustopher. It is discouraging!

Kate

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Oh my....That corn picture is worth a million words! My roses are suffering just like yours. In Louisville, KY, we have had high temps and NO rain. I could put a child thru college for the cost of my water bill...and the roses look horrible. This has been a gardening summer to remember...not so fondly! Lesley

• lothlin
    11 years ago

This drought has been truly murderous; I've planted a lot of things this year, a lot, and I've gotten to watch in horror as my plants shriveled and died. I've got two trees that look like they may not make it, despite how careful I've watered, and two more that are barely managing to hold on to leaves. Rose bushes that don't want to leaf out or get any bigger because they're too busy just trying to hold on. Annuals that got planted and croaked a week later because the heat was just too much for them.

...The only things that are doing really good are my morning glories, which oddly enough, are taking over.

What I'm saying is, I feel you. So much. At least in indianapolis we've been starting to get some rain, hopefully it will keep moving farther south so the rest of the midwest can get some relief.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I complain when we get golf-ball size hail a couple of times/month. But our temperatures are nice and warm (70-80F); we get rain; we have no mosquitoes and very few bugs. I really feel sorry for you. :(
    How hot does it get there?
    Carol

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As far as how hot it was getting here, it was getting between 105 and 110F and was doing so for several weeks without a break. The hottest temperature ever recorded here in the KC area as far as I know was 113F. My most recent air conditioning electric bill was more than my house payment. Fortunately now it has cooled off some and is at least tolerable and even more comfortable.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    11 years ago

Every morning this week NPR has presented programs on global warming, drought, etc. It would seem water is going to be a precious commodity indeed, and even then, horticulture and agriculture will suffer.
    I'm investing in rain barrels and shade trees myself.
    I hope things improve there. Seems here in Nashville we went weeks of 100 plus and then 6 inches of rain in two days.
    Best wishes.
    Susan

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

OH, what a shame! My roses have been smaller in this heat and drought but I spend a fortune watering them so I haven't had any really deformed ones. I hope we all get some good soaking rain soon!