Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_heck

A Beginner's Foray Into the Rosey World!

M_Heck
12 years ago

Good morning rose lovers! My name is Mike and I just signed up on gardenweb! I've been a plant lover ever since I was in the fifth grade. I loved (and still love) reading anything to do with plants, whether it be a field guide on wildflowers or a thick textbook detailing plant morphology.

So finally, at the age of 20, I decided to start a tiny flower garden. Now I live in Northern Ontario... Our summers are feverishly hot (100F and over in the peak days of July) and our winters are furiously cold (-39F). With weather like this, hybrid tea roses are a rare sight, although our city is graced with a lot of wild roses and cultivated rugosas, I decided I would try my hand in growing hybrid teas.

I've only grown two so far, but the blooms which I nurtured have surprised me!

The first to bloom was the famous Chicago Peace rose. I understand that as far as northern Hybrid Teas goes, this one is a winner! My rose produced hues that were far more subdued than some of the Chicago Peaces I've seen... It's almost like this rose is housing an entire sunset.

{{gwi:1265115}}

The second was a rose I found... Well, at a grocery store nursery. It's called the Impala and I literally cannot find any information on it. But the color is stunning. I almost lost the bloom due to the outer petals rotting after a rain storm, but I managed to coax the rose into unfurling by gently removing the damaged petals. As a thank you, my little rose bush gave me a flower so plump that it could barely hold it up!

{{gwi:1265116}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz