Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanserrackd

Random Garden Scenes (VERY big/long)

Susan Serra
17 years ago

It's been forever since I posted! Here are a few images, chosen at random. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Allium

Small summer flush on Abe

William Morris (left), Evelyn (right)

Lobelia in antique pot I found in Denmark

Abe (rear), Cape Cod (front left), Camisole (right)

Abe (rear)

Just Joey (far right) Those tall lillies are in 2 spots in the garden

Baby Jubillee Celebration, the chair will move to another spot next year!

Hollyhocks...one of my favorites

New Dawn...best show yet and that's just the back of it!

Comments (34)

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

WOW WOW WOW ---I'm speechless---You garden is amazing---
    Great picture of Abe---mine is so little --just a few blooms here and there.

New Dawn always a winner----Great shot of the Allium.

I'm enthralled with your garden---Now if only I could chop down a few trees---LOL

Florence

• carla17
    17 years ago

Susan, I love your companions and the blue trellis, I almost painted a fan trellis that color. I'm so impressed by the beauty and number of blooming things you have, really pretty.

Carla

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

Lovely, lovely garden. Thank you for sharing.

I'm envious of your beautiful hollyhocks. The few times I tried to grow them, they got rust real bad and most of the leaves turned brown and died. But looking back now, I'm not sure I realized in those days how much watering plants need by midsummer--at least on the frying plains of Kansas.

Love your cute little Jubilee Celebration--I have a new one too and think it is going to be a terrific shrub.

Kate

• rosebud
    17 years ago

Stunningly beautiful. Great work!!

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Dear Susan,

I have long known that your garden was special. Yet, I had no idea.

I am enthralled.

It is spectacular and I am just speechless.

Michael

• cajunrosegal
    17 years ago

Beautiful just beautiful!

Angela

• debnfla8b
    17 years ago

Beautiful Susan.

How I wish I could grow Hollyhocks.

Deb

• shellfleur
    17 years ago

Susan, your pictures are so gorgeous. I like how you plant in groupings...many hollyhocks or lillies in one area make such a strong statement. I want to do that in my gardens. I can't believe that is a "small flush" for Abe...mine is in its third year, own root and looks nowhere near that vigorous. And your New Dawn...WOW! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. Shelley

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Very beautiful Susan ! My garden never looks that good in August! Do you know the name of those tall lilies you pointed out (yet another plant I collect )? Thanks so much for posting these great photos..
    Kathy in the Napa Valley

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

Susan your garden pictures always amaze me, you are very, very talented.

You know I kinda copied you last year with the chair thing, I loved it that much, they say it is the sincerest form of flattery. LOL I love your chair and I think on JC grows up you won't want to move it, that is a beautiful rose. Well all your roses are incredible, as is the rest of your garden. I love every inch of it, thanks for taking the time to show us those pictures.

Valerie

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Everything is looking gorgeous! I'm very fond of peachy light pink roses, beautiful. I LOVE your purple coneflowers too, as easy as they are I cant seem to grow them!

Jen

• annabeth
    17 years ago

You are very talented gardener-you could do it for a living! My favorite shot is the Jubilee Celebration coming through the chair. All are beautiful.

• roselover_nj
    17 years ago

Your garden is very beautiful!

• cloudia
    17 years ago

As always, great pictures of a great garden. That Jubilee Celebration is so cute!!!! Love those Hollyhocks.

• jerseywendy
    17 years ago

OMG! What absolutely magnificent pictures. Your garden is like a paradise, I'm in awe (and drooling over it all). I think I might give Hollyhocks a try next year, never had them before. Looking at Abe made me smile, now I hope that mine will look as stunning as yours one day.

Thank you so much for sharing these.

• Missy_GardenWhimsy
    17 years ago

Splendid photos, Susan!!!!!!! Missy

• cormac
    17 years ago

how do you get our tall lillies to stand up straight? we have the same ones and they flop over (i tried to do just a little discrete propping up but i don't see anything supporting yours)

beautiful pics all around also -- abe looks great :)

• elgrillo
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Your garden is artwork to enjoy as it progresses each day. Thanks for sharing.

Gary

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cormac, maybe these aren't the same ones. The stems, if that's what they are called, are very very strong. But because they can get to 8 feet plus, due to summer storms, we stake them when they start to get 5-6 feet tall. I'm not so sure we need to, but we do.

thank you for the compliments above!

• patty_z6_ontario
    17 years ago

You have an absolutely beautiful garden ! I am quite envious. Eager to see more.

• Molineux
    17 years ago

Breathtaking Susan, but I wouldn't expect any less from you. As much as I adore the roses the Hollyhocks are my favorite.

• ledaanne
    17 years ago

Susan, that's just beautiful!!! I have some tall lillies like yours but mine are white. Do those make big seed pods?? I love your garden.
    Leda

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a bunch!

No, they don't make big seed pods. Somehow I have one or two more in one area, but the other section hasn't spread.

• janen
    17 years ago

Susan, your garden is just outstanding !!! I love all of your companion plantings. Do you sow seeds for the hollyhocks directly into the garden? Any special advice on growing hollyhocks? I keep trying every year but mine don't look like yours. Thanks so much for sharing pictures of your beautiful garden. Keep 'em comin' - please.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

Oh Susan!

I can't believe I missed this thread. Your garden is a work of art.

• janen
    17 years ago

This is too beautiful for you to miss, so I'm bumping it to the top.

• msmisk
    17 years ago

I am absolutely blown away. My garden has taken a beating from the summer heat, lack of rain, and water restrictions. Thank you for the inspiration. Now I have something to aim for.

Texas Carol

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

Well don't stop now.....get out there with that camera and fire away!!

I want to see even more...my yard will never have the option to look like that here in cookie-cutter subdivision....so I want to live my dream garden through you! More Please!

• silvergold
    17 years ago

Beautiful pictures - WOW!!

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you very much again!! The garden is coming back to life....finally. Not many roses, but the ones that are beginning to bloom again are richer in color, I love the fall's deeper rose colors.

Janen, no, I don't sow seeds for anything. I think I bought a batch of hollyhocks from Wayside some years back. Now, they spread very well and I get more and more. They are so healthy for me, I'm crazy, really crazy, about Hollyhocks. The only thing is, once they bloom, they'll continue to bloom, but they'll start look really ratty. I still have blooms on them, which is unusual, but they look so bad right now. Can't cut them down yet, though. We may put compost on them if we remember at the start of the year, otherwise, I mostly don't even water them. I really like that old fashioned bloom rather than the pompom, but just to mix it up, I'll probably get some of those too soon.

harryshoe, thank you!

msmisk, I hope the fall will bring you a renewed garden. My garden also went to sleep in the summer, mostly. It's just waking up now.

ronda, you're a peach!! I'm actually putting together albums of my very best images, it's taking a little time, because I'm so picky. It will be a different type of website, a change from amateur status, and I'm excited about it!!

silvergold, thank you very much, I appreciate your feedback!

• bbinpa
    17 years ago

I love seeing garden photos and yours is certainly a prize winner!

Thank you for sharing. This is not a bad place to start if one wanted to steal a few ideas. I love the blue trellis!

Barbara aka Hawkeye Belle

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Susan, well done! Remember 4 years ago? I am so happy with your success and can't wait to see more! Congratulations!

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Diane, I felt like a real babe in the woods and you were there for me!! You've been advising me every since (thank my lucky stars) :-)

• barb_r
    17 years ago

What a beautiful display! You must be in seventh heaven.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES