Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

A whole bunch of flower arrangements

the_dark_lady
12 years ago

I make flower arrangements for our Church (when it is my turn). Please take a look at a few of this year's bouquets.

In this arrangement I used roses 'Baltimore Belle' and 'Queen of Sweden', peonies, valerian and catnip.

{{gwi:1266338}}

In this one I used roses 'Veilchenblau' and 'Jasmina'. As fillers used Clematis 'Rooguchi' and 'Comtesse de Bauchaud', Veronica, Salvia, Valerian and Campanula 'Sarastro'

{{gwi:1266339}}

This bouquet is made with 'The Pilgrim', 'St. Alban', 'Graham Thomas', Hydrangeas 'Annabelle' and 'Pink Diamond', Gladiolus 'Green Star'

{{gwi:1266340}}

In this arrangement you can see roses 'Red Riding Hood', 'Graham Thomas' and 'Teasing Georgia'. Also used Echinacea, Heliotrope and perennial Ageratum.

{{gwi:1266341}}

And here I used 'Larissa' rose, Hydrangeas 'Limelight', 'Strawberry Vanilla', green Echinacea and some kind of pretty weed (grass).

{{gwi:1266342}}

Thank you very much for looking.

Marina

Comments (33)

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On this photo I used our window treatments as a background:)))

{{gwi:1266343}}

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Chartreuse and yellow arrangement is my favorite. Wonderful diversity of flower forms, appealing gradation of yellow/chartreuse colors, and a vase that arouses interest without dominating. (Is the single white flower a magnolia?) Second choice is another arrangement with hydrangeas, the penultimate arrangement. The corrugated vase texture is animating,and the rich green color really grounds the arrangement. However, I almost think the grasses are too overpowering. You certainly have some great vases!

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Very beautiful bouquets, thanks for sharing.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, Mantis and Krista!
    Mantis, I have to agree with you about the grasses :)))

Marina

• Laurie
    12 years ago

Your bouquets are remarkable. Thank you so much for posting them.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Sivyaleah!

Mantis, sorry for not answering your question. The single white flower is a rose (unfortunately, I lost its name tag).

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

These are all gorgeous, as usual, Marina! I think my favorite is the one in the angel vase.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, Seil!

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

Marina, those are just lovely. Thank you so much for sharing. You have a lovely way with flowers.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness they are gorgeous Marina! The first one is breathtaking! Do you work at a florist? If not you should. How on earth do you have peonies blooming this time of year?? I love all your different vases too. Thanks for sharing your beauties. Would love to see some yard shots. Judy

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Judy and Karen, thanks a lot for your kind comments.
    Judy, no I do not work at a florist, but it would be really nice if I could find such a job :)
    No, my peonies are long since finished blooming. That first arrangement was made in May this year.

As for the yard shots, I have a little 'album' named Garden Views in my Photobucket. If you are interested, please follow the link below.

Thanks again,
    Marina

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Garden Views' photos on Photobucket

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Judy, I also have other 'albums' on Photobucket. May be something will be of interest for you.
    I have Hydrangeas, Daylilies, Clematis, etc. (and even a little bit of cooking).

You are more than welcome to browse my albums! :)))

Marina

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photobucket

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, jaw-dropping bouquets, Marina! My favorite is the second one. I just love the color combination and the use of the 'Sarastro' campanula together with the roses and the other blue/violet blooms. Your are truly a master when it comes to flower arrangements. Thanks for sharing them here with us!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Christina, thank you very much for the compliments!
    I love making arrangements and though they all look more or less the same, I just think of it being my 'style' :)))

Marina

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Ohhhh, my goodness! What gorgeous and SPECTACULAR masterpieces of Floral Design! Wowza! and the photography is Crystalline and brings out such wonderful detailing!

What???? more or less the same??? are you kidding me?? Sheesh! You're killin' me Marina! To me, everything is so unique and beautiful!!! and belongs in a showcase greeting card.

Now I'm soooo embarrassed. I dragged Jim to take a look at some individual camera settings that I was messing with on my camera for Rose Gallery photos. Mine is Yucko now, haha! I tell you I've got some pretty rotten timing on my part (giggle!)

Your church is blessed to have such breathtaking arrangements, and the Good Lord has blessed you with such special Gifts....

Have a wonderful Sunday! I gotta get ready for Church myself or I'll be late....

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Serena,
    I am really touched by your kind comments on my photos. Thank you.

I am just lucky to have a very good camera (Nikon D90) and all I do (and capable of) is to 'press the button' :) My camera is set on 'Auto' :) I shoot lots of pictures and probably only 5% of them get in to the album.

I have a number of books on mastering the camera but never got into studying them. Ohhh... eventually, one day...

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

You are really skilled at mixing flower forms, blending colors, and matching vase with arrangement. Were these for a reception table in the church? I see what you mean by your "style." In all the arrangements you use multiple flower forms and emphasize compactness and density rather than the vertical dimension. Or how would you characterize your style?

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mantis, normally my arrangements are made for the altar. But... the last two (last two photos) were for the... restrooms :)))
    We had installation and ordination for our new minister and I was particularly asked to make two small arrangements for the restrooms :) Somebody else made an arrangement for the altar yesterday.

I think you are perfectly right describing my 'style'. Yes, I do like dense, rounded bouquets. I like to mix roses of different petal count and always use companion (filler) plants.

This are probably ones of the most characteristic arrangements I made:

{{gwi:310509}}

{{gwi:1266344}}

{{gwi:1266345}}

{{gwi:310513}}

Thank you very much for your interest in my arrangements.

Marina

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Marina, the additional flower arrangements that you uploaded are just wonderful! Thanks for the Sunday morning treat!

You must have a lovely, probably big garden, from which you harvest all these beautiful roses and blooms. Do we get to see some photos of your garden, too? I am sure it is absolutely gorgeous.

Christina

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Beautiful bouquets Marina! I really like those grassy weeds! Very interesting touch in the arrangement.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, Beth and Christina!

Christina, I really don't know which pictures of my garden I can post here. If you don't mind, below please find the link to my Photobucket albums. I have hundreds of shots under 'Garden Views', also I have some specific albums such as 'Clematis', 'Daylilies', 'Hydrangeas' etc.

Please feel free to look at my pics. I really hope you enjoy them :)

Marina

Here is a link that might be useful: My photos @ Photobucket.com

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Thanks a bunch Marina. I will def check out all of your albums. I agree with what everyone on here is saying about your gifts for grouping the arrangements. Spectacular. I too love to make arrangements and every once in a while come up with something a bit as gorgeous as yours. I do love mine but yours, my goodness, they are totally "post card perfect"!! I love to put mine in my bathrooms too. I am trying to incorporate more plants in my gardens so I can have diff ones for filler. I will have to check out some of the ones you use. I am always looking for spikey plants to add some height but after seeing your other varieties I gotta get my booty busy planting other kinds of different looking plants too. Share away please!!! Take care, Judy

• earwig
    12 years ago

I am in awe of your flower arrangements. I bet you feel so happy and satisfied with every one of them. One question I have is where did you find pink rose Larissa? I want to buy it since it has my name. I will buy it for my B-day.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

How about naming the roses in the added bouquets? You have a bountiful supply!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Earwig, I bought my 'Larissa' from Palatine Roses. If you have not purchased any roses from them, I will highly recommend this vendor.
    Below please find a link to their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Larissa' @ Palatine Roses

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mantis, I am sorry I didn't do that when posted additional photos.
    I don't want to overload this thread with duplicate pictures, so I will just post a link to my album.

{{gwi:310509}} In this one I used: 'Rosanna', 'Pomponella', 'Lyda Rose', 'Darlow's Enigma', 'Baltimore Belle'. Valerian Officinalis is a filler.

{{gwi:1266336}} Here I used: 'Windermere', 'Summer Memories', 'Nina Renaissance', 'Gettysburg', 'Pope John Paul II', 'Ice Girl', 'Snow Waltz', 'Elina', 'Lions Rose', 'Ledreborg Castle', 'Kosmos', 'Parky'. Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost' as a filler.

{{gwi:1266337}} Roses here are: 'Windermere', 'Graham Thomas', 'Caramel Antike', 'St. Alban', 'Comte de Champagne', 'Pat Austin', 'Snow Waltz'. And the fillers are Daisies, Salvia Farinacea and Caryopteris flowers.

{{gwi:310513}} This one made only with roses, no companion plants, and the roses are: 'Windermere', 'Radio Times', 'Wildeve, 'Bouquet Parfait' and 'Rushing Stream'

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Marina, thank you very much for the link to your Photobucket album. I will spent my lunch break there, having a look at your garden. I am sure that will be fun.

Thanks also for naming the roses in the bouquets. To me it is really of interest what roses you have used and which filler plants. I can't get over it, what beautiful bouquets you are creating. Thanks for the inspiration, again!

Christina

• earwig
    12 years ago

Thank you for info on Larissa's rose. I browsed Palatine website and found another variety I was looking for years,Lucille Ball rose.Several years ago somebody posted stunning pictures of Lucille Ball bush and everybody started looking for it. It was only available on Michael's Premiere Roses, and by the time I ordered it Michael went out of business.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Oh my!!!!! Those arrangements are SPECTACULAR!!!

It's almost impossible to pick a favorite (which I love doing) - but I like the last one best because I love the soft yellow with the soft pinks. That is my favorite color combination.

But your more striking arrangements are equally beautiful.

You have a gift!!!!

Carol

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Carol,
    Thank you very much for your kind words! I am really touched.
    Marina

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Kudos to you. My mother-in-law had the same talent. She loved her flowers and made bouquets that put florist arrangements to shame. Same as you!

I would have spent the entire service in the bathroom trying absorb every detail of your Larissa masterpiece. The right number of grass 'fronds' with the perfect combination of color and shape. I bow to your loving touch with nature.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Iris Gal, from the bottom of my heart I would like to thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled to receive all these wonderful comments.
    Marina

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I'm swooning with beauty! Smelling salts, please!

The first one was my favorite until I saw 'Larissa' rose, Hydrangeas 'Limelight', 'Strawberry Vanilla', green Echinacea and some kind of pretty weed (grass). I really like the "weeds"--who would've thought. Well, obviously you did. Marvelous.

Then I saw your latecomers--I'm no longer capable of discrimination. They are all just simply gorgeous!

Kate