The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild

ÃÂ

Gentle Hermione

Thanks for looking!

robert

Comments (26)

• lenie
    12 years ago

wow!your austins are very pretty.they took my breath away!fantastic!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

They're absolutely gorgeous, Robert, thank you!

• kasiec
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

Kasie

• bgrose
    12 years ago

The rose in the second picture looks like a lotus. Very beautiful.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I just love all your Austin photos. Keep posting, please.

Do you have a Lady of Shalott or Teasing Georgia? I'm trying to decide which I might prefer. Photos of real roses in real gardens can be so helpful.

Kate

• bgrose
    12 years ago

It is amazing how fresh and beautiful can roses in August look.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I love the globular shapes of these roses. So lovely. Thank you for the gorgeous photographs of your roses. They brought much enjoyment to us.
    Renee

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Outstanding photography of superb roses. Love them all! Still Scperter'd Isle is my absolute favorite, I am so happy that I have this rose already growing own-root in a pot. Just have to get it into the ground.

I have a question. Alan Titchmarch and The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild look very similar to me. Can you describe what the differences are between these two roses? In other words if have TIMF (which I actually do) do I need AT, too?

Robert, thanks for taking the time to post your beauties here!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• blendguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lenie, thanks you for your kind comments.

Seil, I'm glad you like them, thanks for looking.

Thanks for commenting Kasie!

bgrose, that's Sceptre'd Isle, one of my very favourite Austins. It's nearly perfect in every way, and I agree, the photo reminds me of a lotus. Queen of Sweden is another one that really has that look of a lotus.

Kate, I had Teasing Georgia in California and was completely underwhelmed by it. On the other hand, I've seen Lady of Shalott at Austin's gardens several times and each time I am completely blown away by it. I never thought I'd be tempted by a rose of that colour, but it always looks so energetic and just bursting with flowers, I suspect it might prove to be one of Austin's best over the years. Here are some photos of The Lady...
    {{gwi:1266397}}

{{gwi:1266398}}

{{gwi:215829}}

{{gwi:1266399}}

{{gwi:213551}}

Teasing Georgia:
    {{gwi:1266400}}

Hosenemesis, (love your name!), thank you for the very nice words, I really appreciate it. :)

Christina, I love Scepter'd Isle a lot. It seems to always be in bloom, has a strong scent, forms a nice bush, and I love the shape and colour of the flowers. It's one that goes on my "permanent must own" list.

I bought Alan Titchmarsh and The Ingenious Mr Fairchild at the same time, it will be three years this Autumn. They are very similar, and I'd have a hard time choosing between them. Both have better flowers later in the year, with stronger scents then too, although both put on a very strong first flush. They both tend to ball a bit during the spring flush, Alan more than Fairchild. Alan is a much nicer bush, much fuller with a lot more flowers on him, but I like Fairchild's flowers more, and the scent is, perhaps, slightly stronger. I really don't know which one I would choose if I had to choose between them, on the other hand, neither is at the top of my list of favourites, but I'd be happy to give room to either in my garden in the future. Both seem equally disease resistant as well. Soooooo.... Alan... better bush, more flowers; Fairchild, nicer flowers, stronger scent, but more stick shaped bush with flowers tending towards the end of longish canes.

Thanks again everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

robert

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Wow!! Gorgeous!!!

My favs are: Alan Titchsmarch and The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild. I also really like The Lady of Shallott. IMO - those three would look sensational together!!!!

That was a real treat!!
    Thanks,
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Robert, if you had to chose, what would be your favorite pink Austin? I have Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas, both yellow, and would like to add a pink one but can never decide! They're all so darn gorgeous!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Oh, Robert, those photos of Lady of Shalott are jaw-droppingly gorgeous! Like you, I wasn't a likely candidate for that color--until I saw the photos. Think I most definitely need a Lady of Shalott in my garden!

Thanks.

Kate

• blendguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Seil, I've grown the following pink Austins:
    Alan Titchmarsh
    Bishop's Castle
    Brother Cadfael
    Cottage Rose
    Eglanytne
    Gentle Hermione
    Gertrude Jekyll
    Heritage
    James Galway
    Princess Alexandra of Kent
    Princess Anne
    Scepter'd Isle
    Sharifa Asma
    Sister Elizabeth
    Spirit of Freedom
    Strawberry Hill
    The Alnwick Rose
    The Ingenious Mr Fairchild
    The Lady's Blush
    The Wedgewood Rose
    and
    Queen of Sweden

Out of all these, if I had to grow only one it would be Scepter'd Isle, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Others that would be high on my list:
    Princess Alexandra of Kent: Huge blooms, good scent, healthy.
    Sharifa Asma: The best smelling of all. Lovely blooms too. Gets some blackspot, but doesn't slow her down.
    Eglantyne: Beautiful flowers, medium scent, if it was stronger she would be a contender for highest spot.
    Strawberry Hill: Wants to climb. Great flowers, good repeat, strong scent, healthy.
    Gentle Hermione: Lovely flowers, as Austin says... at all stages. Really beautiful rose. Healthy, fragrant, but slowish to repeat.
    Queen of Sweden: Like Eglantyne, really incredibly beautiful and delicate, but even lighter on the scent (to my nose at least). This bush is very upright with the flowers at the top opening like waterlilies. If it was stronger scented, it would be very high on my list.
    James Galway. I just got this rose and wonder why I overlooked it for so many years? It has an incredible scent for me, very strong old rose and I really like the frayed petals. If it keeps doing what it is doing for me now, it will climb high on the list.

Ones that I wouldn't buy again:
    Heritage: In California it was absolutely covered in rust and mildew like no other rose I know. I loved it when it was healthy, but it became completely out of control, and I'm an organic no spray gardener, so it had to go.
    Gertrude Jekyll: For some, this scent is amazing. For me, it's just okay and the flowers weren't that becoming. Blah.
    The Wedgewood Rose: It just droops it's flowers. Weak, not enough fragrance, a mistake so far.. but who knows... it is still young and may make it off this list.
    Cottage Rose: Another rusty rose without enough redeeming qualities to keep it.

If you'd consider an off pink, I'd highly recommend St Cecilia which brings me great joy every time I see the bush or smell the flowers. One of my very favourite Austins.

Cheers,
    robert

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Robert, thank you very much for your detailed response to my question. Sounds like I don't need to get Alan Titchmarch, too!

The photos of Lady of Shallot are irresistible lovely! She has a color that I wouldn't consider normally, but this one could get me to make an exception.

What you have to say about Heritage doesn't sound good. That is very interesting for me since I have a Heritage waiting in my pot ghetto to be planted. I wanted to put her in a very prominent spot, but I may reconsider my decision, since my rose has mildew and does not look to good right now. But I was thinking it is due to her pot live, hmmm...

Thanks for all your input here, Robert!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Thank you, Robert, that was great! I'll go do some more looking at SdI and SC. I'm glad you said that about Heritage and Gertrude because a lot of people do recommend them but I live in fungal heaven and if they're disease prone I don't want them.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

These pictures are absolutely delicious and it makes me want every single rose, especially the pinks that lean toward lavender. I have a very young plant of The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild and look forward to seeing blooms as beautiful as the ones in your picture.

Ingrid

• blendguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Seil and Christina, I really liked Heritage for the first part of the season, but I ended up with a rose entirely covered by rust, most of my "romanticas" also ended up with it as well. I'm an organic gardener and don't spray, but most of my other roses were fine or only very mildly hit by it.

Seil, to clarify, Gertrude wasn't bad for disease, I just didn't like her. I didn't like the flower shape, I didn't like the bush shape (I tried her on a pillar and that helped), and ultimately, while I liked her scent enough, it wasn't the overpowering thing so many others seem to smell with her. I don't think my nose it tuned to the "portland" scent, it doesn't knock me over like bourbons or most of the Austins, so I think I must prefer the sweet scents. I just didn't like Gert enough to ever wish to grow her again.

Ingrid, lovely to see you. I hope you enjoy your Mr. Fairchild. Right now he has a great scent in my garden, definitely a rose that does better for me later in the season.

cheers!
    robert

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

These are all beautiful, Robert, thanks for posting. You've captured all the lovely colors so well.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

WOW!! All are soooooo beautiful. I just love english roses. I wish I could have one of every kind. lol!! I love the shots of Scepter and Lady of Shallot the most. You grow lots of beauties. Take care, Judy

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I really like the bush shots of Lady of Shallot accompanying the close-ups. I don't know why it is that, in almost every forum, posters prefer to to post close-ups only that are hardly the way one views a flower in the garden and which give no indication of the size of the flower or the general impression.

• barbarajon
    12 years ago

Wow those are just a lovely collection of pics of roses. Nice clicks.

• blendguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Krista, Judy and barbarajon, thanks for looking and commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Mantis, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I much prefer the close up shots and the photos of the entire bush rarely appeal to me. Usually, I'm not posting to try to inform someone of what the bush looks like; my own goal is to try to capture the beauty that I see in the blooms. I challenge myself by trying to take nice photos, emphasising the colours and shapes of the flowers, and usually trying to blur out the backgrounds using an open aperture so the focus is just where I want it. That's the challenge and joy for me, and why I post here, it's more than a photo of a rose, it's an expression of what I find so beautiful in them, and hopefully, also an expression of my particular view as a photographer.

cheers,
    robert

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

It is indeed an artistic expression, and I can appreciate its beauty. However, if I want to know what a rose really looks like, unless I am a bee, I much prefer a shot at some intermediate length. Of course, it need not include a shot of the entire bush.

Take your Lady shots, for example. The first close-up pic suggests a very orangey tone. The full bush shot reveals a more yellow impression, while pic 3 & especially 4 suggest a strong pinkish impression. Apparently, there is coloration change as the blossom ages, and the blossom clearly has multi-faceted hues. But I would never know that pictures 1 and 4 are of the same flower. All are artistically satisfying, but I suspect that the full bush shot best represents reality. Perhaps they are taken at different locations or under different light conditions. Also, if there were only the first pic of the Lady, I would have little idea of the size of the rose.

I once had a friend who had a photographer friend of hers take a series of pictures of her garden as a record of that season's blooms. He produced a beautiful series of close-ups, many of very tiny flowers; but she was disappointed, because although the pictures were artistically satisfying, they completely lacked context.

I don't say there isn't a place for close-ups; they can convey details that even an intermediate shot misses. I just wish more posters would give us more context in their shots and try to convey the garden impression of the flower (including size). There seems to be a general approach of taking a photo as close up as possible in an effort to "wow" us or to imitate the often misleading photos of hybridizers.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

I guess everyone has different views, and there's certainly room for both types of shots; but I adore the close ups. The beauty is staggering and showcases why I love roses.

Carol

• tootsie77
    12 years ago

Robert, beautiful shots. Just wondering, how is Wollerton Old Hall doing for you? Since this is a new rose, I would love to know more of the characteristic of this rose bush. Thanks.

• blendguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tootsie77, I am very, very pleased with Woolerton Old Hall, I think it might become one of Austin's best varieties. In just a few months it turned into a *very* bushy rose, very rounded with lots of flowers blooming the entire season. I had no problem with disease at all, and it it seems to just want to explode in all directions. The flowers have a lovely, chalice shape and a very good scent as well. I don't think there is more that I could ask of it. The only caution I might mention is that it far more of a lemon-chaffon colour than I was expecting, I thought it would be more cream colored, but the yellow tint never really disappeared throughout the season... it's a creamy yellow flower. I'd certainly recommend it and buy it again, especially if you're looking for a large, bushy shrub with lots of flowers and a good scent. Of course, this is the first year, so we'll see over time...

Cheers,
    robert