Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

Lopsided Garden-ultimate lumpiness (Part III)

serenasyh
14 years ago

O.K. here are my crazy musings about why in the HECK my garden is always lumpyÂ

Here are my 2 Lincolns after I stopped hacking themÂtheir puny flowers are gradually getting largerÂbut they still look like pom-poms! JeffAurora, heeeeelp! I need your magic touch with Mr. Lincoln.

Why do my Lincolns look like a floribunda???? Or a cabbage pouff-ball???

O.K. here is an example of cabbage flowers in the making!

Here is the first phase from the same Lincoln blossom-the ultimate! In lumpiness:

and here is its final form:

Here is Gemini. Oddly, it keeps trading places with Fragrant Cloud. Now FC is asleep, with multiple closed buds, and here is Gemini wanting to pretend itÂs a continual bloomer instead of an ordinary repeat bloomer.

Here are just two transitional blooms between the 2nd and 3rd flush.

Here is the early middle part of the 3rd flush. At first, I couldn't take photos because the earliest blooms were smooshed by relentless winds and thunderstoms. These following blooms are all different from each other but they look so much alike in their spiraling petals! my favorite hybrid tea form! Gemini always does great in the heat and with scattered rains, so long as itÂs not unrelenting thunderstorms. Its blooms do decrease a little in size during cooler weather/fall conditions.

I call my Penny Lane climbing rose my little Gardenia. Its scent is unique to me, like gardenias. ItÂs too young to have any of the classical shape of its maturity blooms. Both Penny Lane and Special Occasion roses are prolific bloomers and their blooms are very consistent in style and shape.

Special Occasion:

Here is TiffanyÂs first bloom on its 3rd flush.

Comments (32)

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Serenasyh your roses are just GORGEOUS.I wish all my roses were as lumpy as your's. GEMNI is sooooo CAPTIVATING it was on my list for next year after seeing your's it for sure now. Please post more of those lumpy roses I love them LOL
    Harold

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

HELLO, Mrs Cleaver, it's Bumpy Lutherford here. Geez, for an older lady, you sure do smell good. I wish my garden wasn't so lumpy .....yaddayaddayadda.

Them there is the purdiest lumpy garden roses I been seeing in quite a spell. So what gives with the disclaimer ? Your ML whine falls on deaf ears here, my one cane wonder is about to wonder why it didn't see the SP coming and I have no twins let alone any special occasion to shop at Tiffany's down on Penny Lane. ~@^@~

What a gorgeous group of perfect proportion :-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

LOL, on what Harold & boxofrox wrote.

serenasyh, Your roses all look great! Even those Lincoln cabbage flowers as you call them, look great to me!

JIM

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

Really enjoyed the look. I adore your Mr. Lincoln. How is it for smell?

Your roses look full and sumptuous. Keep the pictures coming. :)

Carol

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Now I remeber why I love Mr Lincoln. He was the victim of a tree removal years ago --- big limb landed right on him.

Have 2 opening buds on Medallion on this 110 degree day. Similar looking to Special Occasion at this stage.

You have some wonderful captures ~~ great angles.

• aurora1701e
    14 years ago

You don't need my help. Your Mr. Lincoln and others looks FANTASTIC!!

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Serenashy, just had to come back and admire your GEMNI once again it soooo CAPTIVATING I'm going to clip it so I can enjoy it all winter long.LOL
    Harold

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awww, thanks so much Harold and JeffAurora. But as everyone knows, Jeff's Lincolns are amaaaaazing true spiraling Florist roses! Every single one of his reds. His red hybrid teas are unbelievably gorgeous. There's not a single spiral in any of my blooms except! for Gemini. And everyone also knows I'm always stealing his and Boxofrox's photos and plastering them all over G-Web. LOL!

Boxofrox, that is soooo hilarious! you had me on the floor and rolling! Now that is a masterpiece/perfection of humor!

But guess what? Boxofrox, I forgot!!! to post my America!
    I'm about as loopy as "tarnations" to copy your theme.

Here she is:

And one more open bloom from Special Occasion, both baby bands have got a whole bunch of more upcoming blooms (they're blooming machines) so I'll try to be more selective and only get the best open ones from now on.

Thanks, Jim, Iris, and Canadian Rose! Iris Gal and Canadian rose I am once again going to steal Jeff's Lincoln for you to ooo and awww! over.

Jeff's Lincoln

Canadian rose, the fragrance of Lincoln is the best I have ever smelled in any rose so far. I'm a sniff-a-holic and will attack my local nursery's roses to search for fragrance. From a scale of 1-10 it is a definite 10!!! You can smell a single Lincoln bloom as far as 8' to 12'away. When Lincoln first sent a tiny 3" bloom with only 10-12? petals after I hacked-pruned it, I still could smell it from 8' away. I can just imagine passing out from euphoria with Harold's Lincolns, he has fat and! prolific Lincolns too!

P.S. poor Karen (Rosemeadow). I am going to keep asking her to help me find super fragrant roses too! She has an absolutely breathtaking collection of rare roses.

14 years ago

serenasyh, you have gone pink...LOL

JIM

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim,I haven't even included my Aromatherapy yet, hahahaha!

Thanks for the honest opinions! I was sort of thinking hmmmm, maybe I've got too much pink going in my garden. That's why I asked!

Now to throw on some SPANISH FLAME ORANGE from Fragrant Cloud. Hee-hee, I'll post a bit later. I've got one pretty nice photo from F.C. but I'm a bit worried I'll drive everyone crazy with too many lumpy roses. F.C. is getting ready for another super big flush so I want to be sure to only post the very good ones. (hopefully there'll be some prettier blooms) LOL! It's already had 3 blooms but they were the typical cabbage patch form, and the current photo I took has more hybrid tea shape.

14 years ago

We love looking at roses, post away! What was that women on the Happy Days TV show called? Pinky something...LOL...She always wore all pink.

JIM

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

Your America is DD (I'm using initials because to say it might be construed as bad luck :-) When mine bloom (I have 2), the actual bloom is stunning like yours, it's the foliage I have trouble with. I'm still between the rock (spraying) and that hard place (living with the foliage issues)and have decided to re-address it next year. At this point in time, I have a don't spray, don't tell policy ;-) Actually, I'm a bit surprised I don't have more foliar probs than I do but it has been a hotter and drier summer than normal here.

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

Serena, I love your Gemini photos! I can't wait to be cutting blooms like yours. Also I liked your other photos too. America looks a nick pink/salmon.
    By the way, my outlook express I found wasn't working this evevenig. I wll get it fixed tomorrow.

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Serena, I'm soo glad you posed your America it is just BEAUTIFUL. You remind me of a kid at Chirstmas open one present at a time, what will you suprise us with next??
    My America rose is in bad shape at this time, you see I have it growing in large pot on my pagoda and I'll try to baby it back to health until then I just enjoy yours.LOL
    LOL
    Harold

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

Get outta town!!! Ten feet away!!??

When I lived in Edmonton - none of my roses had scent. Now here in Calgary, a lot of my roses have really nice scent (my fav is Betty White). But I've never had a rose I could smell from any distance. Wow!!!! That would be fantastic!!

Carol

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awwww, thanks everyone for the very kind words and for tolerating my crazy roses. Harold as everyone knows, if it comes to Christmas, you're like Santa with your gigantic huge, colorful roses. Boxofrox is like Designer Landscape Architect Roses Summe Cum Laude (Boxofrox I actually looked up Wikipedia to get the highest title possible). LOL! Anyway, the lumpy roses are back (I feel like Invader of the Kooky Roses-hee-hee)! I am thrilled that I finally got more classic blooms out of Tiffany. But for the most part she gets open, informal but lively big! blooms. But it's a start!

Again, here is my beloved Gemini! poor Gemini keeps overextending herself. Third flush and she's already got over 45 blooms which is amazing for a hybrid tea.

And finally here is Fragrant Cloud. She got super jealous of all the attention that Mr. Lincoln gets and tried to be red like him on the third photo but to no avail! Even Gemini gets more attention from the native bees than her.

Carol, yes, and yes! Lincoln is a heavily, heavily perfumed flower. It outdoes even my Fragrant Cloud. You can smell FC only about 2-3' feet away with a few flowers on it. It only takes one Lincoln to smell it at 8'-15' away. I have a very strange gigantic, fuzzy bumblebee that will travel several blocks away just to visit my Lincolns before zipping off again like some lone cowboy riding off into the horizon, LOL!

• aurora1701e
    14 years ago

Your Gemini look BEAUTEOUS!!! I'd love to see a pic with those 45 blooms. Now who's yearning for more pics? Hmm? Hmm?! Not stalking, just asking. For now...

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

Yet even more lovely, lovely roses!!

Your last Gemini photo is superb!! Love it!! I just love your Tiffany pic too. I'm going to have to try that and Mr. Lincoln next year.

Carol

14 years ago

Mr Lincoln is strutting his stuff...LOL
    Awesome roses serenasyh!

JIM

14 years ago

serenasyh, just wondering how your feeling since your accident? Still having any pain?

Have you seen your fuzzy bumblebee buddy lately?

JIM

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awwww, thanks CanadianRose, JeffAurora and Jim! Jim, Fragrant Cloud is thrilled that you have actually Mistaken her for Lincoln! That 3rd, very red photo is not Lincoln, hee-hee! That was her jealous sport blossom that tried to imitate Lincoln.

JeffAurora, you will laugh so hard!! poor Gemini, one of its strong thick canes has completely! bowled over because it's got too many flowers on it (13 on one branch! can you believe it??? and these are not small blooms but big ones). The third flush started a month ago-- Gemini will bloom 10-12 at a time per branch.
    But there is a sad story why I can't show the entire tree now. Gemini was so busy blooming it got attacked in its later end of the flush with the horrid blackspot! I am quite heartsick over this. It was soooo healthy and strong and then we got 2 weeks of straight rain after rain after rain. Right now, the poor tree is plastered with ugly disease and Mancozeb fungicide stains, poor Gemini!

I am actually posting a small cluster of blooms as a Get-Well Wish on my Butterfly Bouquets for Jim's Sue and Rosemeadow's Ray tomorrow. So you can see that photo at least. It has other sprays, but that one was the most pristine/classical/non-diseased-leaves I could get. The others had blooms of varying ages whereas that one was more consistent. LOL! the other bloom clusters are so thick I can't take photos because I have to pry the flowers apart, hahahaha! And one will get in the way of the other. Gemini is blooming in massive sprays, instead of the single long-stems that hybrids are supposed to do.

14 years ago

OOops, i thought that was Lincoln.(LOL)

JIM

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Serena remember my wife in your prayers she having by-past surgury in the morning. They thought they could just put in a shent, but that didn't workout.LOL LOL
    PS: may I post a picture for her on your thread.LOL LOL
    Harold

{{gwi:1266993}}

14 years ago

Harold, your wife is in our prayers here! God bless her & praying for a speedy recovery for her!

JIM

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Harold! it's 1:47 a.m. my time, I got back from practicing agility with Eluane at 12:30 a.m. Thank goodness I got on the computer one last time before sleeping. My late night prayers are with her for a very successful surgery and will be returning back to my butterfly thread with your absolutely lovely Pope John II rose, bless her!

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

Serena, you used the same word to discribe Gemini here as I did about 10 minutes or more ago to discribe her too in your Butterflies Boquet post.
    I think that in a certain flush of the year a Hybred Tea will have Callabra ( or how ever you spell it ) sprays.

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O.K. everyone. Here is my closure of blooms that I will rate as the "third flush" because Aromatherapy has already bloomed 3 times. I should have posted her but because her blooms were too "cutsey-pie" instead of her previous more classical format I missed out on the chance and will "lump" (pardon the pun)her blooms as Lopsided Part IV. But in the meantime here are just 2 more blooms from Climbing America. I am truly beginning to love this rose for its lovely, huge blooms. Lincoln and Gemini I still love better (one for its incredible fragrance, the other for its beauty and scentimental memories), but Climbing America truly wows in terms of how huge the blooms get and its spiraling form. Who could imagine that a climbing rose could look so "classical". Sadly I missed out on her perfection (had to rush out car shopping and by the time I got back it was too dark to take any photos so the one I have of her is past her peak time, but it's still "cute" and huge.

However, I truly hope everyone will bear with me one more time because I have another photo celebration in which I lumped my precious little E (Eluane) into this thread...
    I basically piled her into a chair and snapped a photo of her AKC Agility Trial win... I am so thrillllled and am thanking the Lord every day for this. We got First Place and a Qualifying Score Ribbon that accompanies our placing.
    This is actually Eluane's 2nd trial. The first one was in May 22, 2009. Then we had to wait all the way until September for her 2nd trials. the next one won't be until February. Every trial is pretty critical for us because they are so few and far between and we have to travel several miles outside of Kansas City to attend. So you can imagine how thrilled and happy we are...Jim, thanks for all your warm thoughts and well wishes on her September trials.

Climbing America--it's got potential:

Climbing America--oops! past its peak beauty

14 years ago

Woo Woo! congratulations to Eluane! Woo Woo!
    Awesome pics too serenasyh!

JIM

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

Well done Eluane and Serena ! Congrulations ! It gives you a real high when you do well, doesn't it ?
    I am sorry I have only just got my act together to come look at this post you told me about.
    I absolutely adore your climbing America, it is so beautiful, even though you said the last photo was past its best a bit. Wish we could get it here.
    Actually, all your photos I have seen of your roses are truely beautiful.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Serena, what you call your lumpy roses actually look gorgeous to me. Penny Lane is especially beautiful. I grow many old garden roses and love their romantic, blowsy look and the typical hybrid tea roses don't ring my chimes. I think many of us have been "trained" by the media to prefer the sculptured look of modern roses but for a romantic, sumptuous garden I'll take the "lumpy" roses any time. Each of your roses looks perfect, by the way, and beautifully grown. Eluane is awesome and just looks chock full of life and personality.

Ingrid

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awwww, thanks so much Ingrid, Karen and Jim! Eluane is very thrilled and sending her puppy wags to everyone here. She has worked so hard on her agility and there's so few times (once every 4-5 months) that we can compete, so we truly run our hearts out on those trials. So many fast border collies competing, so this was for us a true Christ-graced miracle!

Ingrid, everyone at the Rose Gallery has been completely won over and wowed by your romantic garden and old garden roses. That's why you, Marina-(Dark-Lady), Karen, and Lana (Markiz) are very important/crucial to our gallery. We don't get to see those more rare and special roses. When one has exotic special names from the Old World roses, it embodies mystique too. They know how to breed a rose and give them beautiful names. No cheesy names...LOL! I will have to post Karen's photos of the ones she emailed me several weeks ago.

The story about my young own-root Penny Lane is that it is still up-to-question whether I got the right rose. It has the exact same coloration and has a lovely gardenia scent, but the buds and blooms are so tiny whereas the true Penny Lane has spiraling large blooms. Karen has a fantastic photo of her mature Penny Lane. But what I truly desire is its reputed fragrance. The likewise own-root America is the same age as Penny Lane but it has mature sized blooms. So if this is the largest Penny Lane gets in its blooms then I probably got the wrong rose. I have to wait until next year to see if it changes in size. But at least I love the fragrance! And thanks so much Ingrid for cheering my Penny Lane onward. It tries so hard to gain some size! quite a prolific bloomer when it blooms but it's like it's blooming pretty pennies instead of roses, LOL!

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

Well Serena, it is called PENNY Lane. My picture of the same was taken some years ago of a young grafted rose. My present own root will be blooming in about four weeks and my roserian friend has a mature climber so I will see what the blooms are like in size and take some photos to post here.