Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dick Clark

Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 15:42

One of this year's highly touted newbies and so far I've liked the blooms. I potted it in April as a bare root and it leafed out but then just sat all through April and May. But it was very cool, wet and gray here so that may be why. However, in June when it warmed up it started to take off and it's done very well all through this heat wave. It's put on some very good growth and bloomed twice. The first flush of blooms were a little small and pale.
Dick Clark
Dick Clark
Dick Clark
Dick Clark
But the second flush is a bit larger and the color is much brighter.
Dick Clark
It's way too soon to say how good it will turn out to be but if it decides to survive my winters I think I'll keep it for a while and see.

Anyone else give this one a try this year? How is it doing for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dick Clark

what a fun rose, Seil! And it holds its bicolor really well, without blotching out badly like some bicolors tend to do.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 12:59

Thanks, Serena! No, I haven't noticed blotching on it. But they do change color with the weather.

o

• Posted by jim1961 z 5/6 central pa (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 11:13

very nice seil! I've seen Dick Clark on HMF but I do not have one, please keep us updated on how yours does. Thanx

o

Mine has tons of blooms on it and they're much darker than what you show - they're almost a burgundy. And the red rim is much thicker on mine. Could be our cooler weather here. However - I'm not that fond of it, because I don't like the blooms. I find them boring. BUT...as a landscape plant it's top notch.

I like the look of yours much more than I like the look of mine. Too much red on mine. Yours looks more ethereal and pleasing. Very nice!!

Carol

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 20:55

Thanks, Jim, will do!

Carol, that's odd because mine was paler when it was cooler and is darker now that it's hot. I think the color is yellow and more of a deep cherry pink. Not a true red color. It's right between Veterans' Honor and Crimson Bouquet and it's not red at all compared to those two. Does yours have any fragrance? I don't detect much of anything on mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here