Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Savoy Hotel'

Posted by paul_zone5ct 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 16:15

Here's a section of one bed where I have planted nine 'Savoy Hotel'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Savoy Hotel'

Here is a close-up:

o

and closer still:

o

and now stepping back a little........

o

Paul - Those are so gorgeous! I am wondering how many roses you have and if you have more picture? Your Savoy Hotel looks heavenly!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:15

Wow! Gorgeous!

o

Thanks, Seil and Sara-Ann. I grow a few hundred roses. Lost count! I also "adopted" an old cemetery near my house and have planted about 100 there. Also "adopted" an area across the street owned by the town. I will try and post more pix. -Paulie

o

Oh, gosh, that's beautiful! And not just Savoy Hotel--the whole garden, the lovely vista--gorgeous!

o

They look so healthy and beautiful. Are they good cut roses? Any BS problems?

o

Mercy me! Your pictures are gorgeous. Is that photo from your spring flush or right now? Can't wait to see more photos of your lovely gardens and the adopted ones. Judy

o

Thanks all. Pix were taken this morning. This is the second flush. Savoy Hotel is very disease resistant as well as winter-hardy on its own roots in zone 5. Excellent cut flowers, but no scent. Otherwise, I find it the perfect hybrid tea, which is why I have planted so many - I must have a total of 15 in the different gardens.

o

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful rose and garden with us. I have often wondered about this rose but did not know if it would be hardy here. Good news, it is! Love pink roses….well all roses. Your garden is lovely and I hope you will share more with us. Lesley

o

Thanks for the information and for the dreamy photos. I join the others in being anxious to see more of your stunning gardens!

o

Thanks, sanrosa and Lesley. Savoy Hotel can be hard to find on its own roots. Heirloom used to carry it, but not any more. I can't remember where I purchased my last batch. If I can find it, I'll let you know.

o

I just learned that Angel Gardens and Rogue Valley both carry Savoy Hotel own-root. Rogue Valley has some in-stock. Angel Gardens is out-of-stock.

o

I am so impressed with all the roses you've shown. Do you grow mostly grafted or own-root?

o

Sara-Ann: I now grow almost exclusively own-root roses. Grafted or budded roses just don't make it thru the winter here.

o

Paul - Thanks for answering my question, I appreciate it.

o

Here's a shot from my second floor window:

o

Another shot, experimenting with zoom on my cheap camera:

o

When I had the cabana put up this summer, the workers damaged badly two yellow climbers 'Goldregen' and 'Climbing Carefree Sunshine'. Turns out it was all for the best, as they both put out vigorous new growth from the base. Here you see 'Goldregen' peeking out.

I am finding if I prune back some climbers hard, I get much healthier, vigorous plants. So now I have large, billowing shrubs instead of one-cane climbers with a few flowers at the top.

That is Double Knockout there in front, which I like as a nice red accent.

o

Paul , you have a Truely spectacular garden ! What love you have poured into it . I love your statue ( Is that Hebe ?) ! I wanted a similar one forever . Thanks for sharing and please keep on posting !

o

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, that is Hebe, got her from Toscano.

o

Beautiful garden, Paul. Looks like you've put a lot of effort into it, I hope you enjoy all your hard work and thanks for sharing. You have very good taste!

o

Thanks, Sara-Ann, I'm enjoying your pix as well.

o

Oh, I just love your garden. The pictures are just breathtaking! How fun to have adopted a cemetery also! I would love to see pics from that as well.

o

Oh awesome Paul ! I had seen her on the design toscano catalog , but was unsure of their quality . What do you rate them as ? Any trouble with her toppling ? Do you put her away for winter ? Any paint chips ? Thanks for your help ! :)

o

lilyfinch: I keep the statue outside all year. Has never toppled, is heavy enough to stay put. It's got a little lichens growing on it now, even noticed a small hairline crack, but she otherwise looks great after 8 years or so outside.

o

Paul and others, Palatine Roses is offering it when they start taking orders Sept. 8. I was trying to keep my order down to 3, which was hard, and I keep admiring your pictures! Is anyone else in this dilemma?

o

Paul, your garden is a dream. Thank you souch for sharing it with us! Savoy Hotel is certainly lovely! Nin

o

Wow!!! I am impressed!!! Savoy Hotel looks like an amazing rose! Wonderful garden.
Carol

o

Thanks, Carol & Nin. Kentucky_Rose: Is Palatine offering it own-root? I ask because my experience with Savoy Hotel as a grafted rose was not that great. It was vigorous for a year or two and then bit the dust. My own-root Savoy Hotel have been thriving for several years now.

OTOH, maybe zone 6 will work for a grafted rose. I'm zone 5.

o

Your garden looks like paradise! How wonderful to be able to look out your window every morning and see such beauty. Thank you for sharing it with us.

o

Paul, thanks for pointing that out. They're probably grafted on multiflora.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here