Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Arrangements for Retirement

boxofrox
13 years ago

I made three bouquets to take to two elderly couples and my wife's twice widowed stepmother and it was really me who got gifted :-) Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking...............

Comments (28)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!! oh Wow!!!

Those are gorgeous!!! I ESPECIALLY like the first bouquet, because of all of those blue things (looks like blue lilacs). Man oh man those are wonderful. And look at all of those looooonng stems!!!

You are such a generous soul!!

Carol

• inga007
    13 years ago

I'm a sucker for blue too.
    Is that viburnum?
    Lovely "plonks".
    Thank you for posting them.

Inga

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys :-)

I'm thinking you are talking about the Blue Wave lacecap hydrangea. It's the one with the larger blues that circle the inner blues. Some of them are like 10" across.

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I like the middle bouquet best, blues are beautiful but I love a nice sunset!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Stunning. Especially the cactus dahlias with yel/pink roses.

I'm sorry I have forgotten what roses you grow. Who is the yellow? Who is the pastel pink duo that looks like an Austin? Thanks!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That bouquet has Abraham Darby, Sheila's Perfume, Easy Goin, and Hot Cocoa.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Yea, wow there Boxofrox! Some really good combinations in those bouquets!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

All of your bouquets are very nice. This applies to your other posts as well.

• kasiec
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. The bouquet with the dalias and roses belong in a brides hand walking down the isle with her.

Kasie

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys, I do remember trying to decide which of the first two I liked better and which one was the most fragrant and knew that if they had been keepers, I would have placed them close together. The second was cheerier by an eyelash and the first more fragrant by a nose hair :-)

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your bouquets are gorgeous---I'm sure you made the ladies very happy. I would be thrilled with them.

Florence

• queenbee_1
    13 years ago

I agree. They are all gorgeous! You are gifted..

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

oh, Boxoooooo, where are you?????? WE MISS YOUR ROSES!!!! WHERE IS ABRAHAM DARBY? lol! the Stalker is missing you! Hope all is well! Cheers! Hey, I also ordered the Sedum that you recommended to me for the honeybees. I didn't have the chance to tell you, but I finally got hordes of honeybees just from planting 2 Russian sage in my garden! I have about 30? plants of Russian sage coming in and thought that the bubblegum pink of the Sedum would help balance all that purple, lol! Bless to you and Happy Pre-Easter! Serena

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey KG :-)

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Whoo-hoo, whoo-hoo! Hope you will be back again soooooon with your gorgeous spring cherry tree and the flowering plum. I saw your gorgeous Snow Fountain cherry at my local nursery and am saving up money for that. It was SWARMING with Kansas local honeybees. As for the rest of the nursery, they didn't stick around for anything else- ignored the Juneberries, ignored the over-hybridized crabapples, ignored the flowering apples, lol! I wasn't sure if that tree was the exact same cherry as yours but it is indeed when I went back to check the name at the nursery. If I get the tree, it will be a fantastic reminder of you and also to think about poor Japan as well. The cherry tree is long past blooming now, but hopefully you've got some new photos still stored up in your camera card for all of us to ooooooo and ahhhhh over!

Your lilacs should be going gangbusters though right about now? Hugs and cheers-- the gallery isn't the same without You!

13 years ago

Hi Serena and BOXOFROX! We have tiny leaf-buds on our roses there Boxofrox...lol. Roses still look naked. lol. Colder weather is keeping things slowwww. lol
    So, how you been Boxofrox?

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Yeah, missed you guys!!

Carol

13 years ago

Hi Carol! Just checking in here to see how Boxofrox has been. Hope all is good with you also there Carol...

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Things have been a bit difficult in these parts because we make our livelihood in and around the construction industry which is currently abysmal at best. It's been declining for about 3 years now. My garden kind of shows some of the effects of targeted budget constraints :-(

Late last year my computer crashed and fried my hard drive and I lost most of the pics that weren't saved on Photobucket. Naturally I lost all my passwords and such for GW and elsewhere and spent most of the winter in a mild funk :-(

We had another bizarre winter and I lost a number of plantings. It's way too early here for almost everything. The plum bloomed and the snowfountain cherry is just starting but most everything else is just now leafing out.

I have been checking in from time to time to see if you guys are still around but this is the first time I caught you. Now that I know you're back, I'll check in a bit more often but no pics anytime soon :-)

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Carol, hugs! I miss Boxo terribly and hope you can help bring him back. Hee-hee, Jim and I are always chatting up a storm by email and he tries to help keep me updated at our Rose Gallery. I'm having rose addiction flareup about as bad as a Kansas Prairie Wildfire, and it's interfering with my freelance and YIKES my taxes, lol! It's funny how if you try to suppress your addiction for too long it rears up like a FANCY DRAGON THAT TORCHES EVERYTHING IN ITS PATH! HAHAHA! Carol, it will be great to see your wonderful potted collection once again, hehe! I will ask Jim to help me again do all the checking up to see what everyone is up to! Rosy Smiles to one and all!

13 years ago

Glad to hear from you Boxofrox! My wifes daughter had a baby boy (Gunnar) this past Dec 14, 2010. Her daughters been real ill since giving birth, so, we have been taking care of the baby. Gunnar is almost 4 months old.
    Yes, I know what your saying about the ecomomy, I hope things pick up for you...Again, very glad to hear from you!
    Glad to hear from you also Carol, hows things going with you?

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Oh,no! Many hugs, Boxofrox! What a terrible year! Disastrous about the computer! that can really be a maddening frustration and! a huge loss. I have experienced my Dad's computer crashing and wiping out some very special photos that I forgot to copy over and which can never ever be replaced! I was actually emailing Jim, worried about the crazy snow hitting your area, and was crossing my fingers that you were a bit more South and may have escaped it. Boxo one of the reasons why I'm having such a hard time controlling my rose addiction is because 2010 was such a bad year for me with non-stop flooding and non-stop rains, that finally to see real sunshine is a real treasure after having to endure 2010. I have forgotten what real sunshine/a clear day looks like. I was just telling Jim that on July 4th it took us 3 days before the city could do its fireworks and even then they had to rush the finale because it again rained and you could literally see what they couldn't finish in time sizzle out to nothing. It was that bad last year, Boxo. So I am holding out hope that your 2011 will turn around for you, just like it did for me, and that the construction industry will improve. And I'm also praying hard for the healing/recovery for Japan as well.

We are all holding our breath, waiting for your Garden Magic to come back....

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Jim - funny, but my Dad's name is Gunnar - his parents came here from Sweden. It's a pretty unusual name. Hope his mom gets better soon.

Thanks everyone for asking about me. I'm doing really well. I just saw my neurologist and he said that he was AMAZED at how well I'm doing. He said I haven't declined at all. That by now (4 years since my last appointment) I should be talking like a drunk (his words not mine) and be falling alot. He must have said AMAZED six times. I credit my speaking with how much I sing. I sing a lot. Someone said that speech therapy for this would entail a lot of saying vowel sounds etc. So I've been doing my own therapy and didn't even know it. My walking is not bad because I walk for two hours with my dogs every day. So I'm doing VERY well.

Hey Serena - I have Russian sage and I love it. It's so pretty. The bees love it too!! Your garden is going to have TONS of bees!! :)

Boxo - too bad about the slow going for your business. We really appreciate you, so come here often for some company. :)

Happy rosing or rose dreaming everyone!
    Carol

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Carol, bless so good to hear that you are doing so well. What you have is so serious and yes, very much the miracle that you are doing wonderfully! Many hugs and may your doggies keep you walking for years and years on those 2 hours daily, lol! And yes, we will keep our fingers crossed for Boxo and always have a pot of tea and rose jelly on pastry with a small saucer of beeeeee honey set for him, and he can bring in his garden for us as the "perfect setting", lol!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

That sounds so lovely! You're such a sweetie.

Carol

13 years ago

The weather is cold and rainy, so, things are slow for our roses this season so far. We did have 5 hours of much welcomed sunshine today...

Hey Boxofrox, I'll be careful this season, so as not to slip on any rose slugs. lol

The other day we were getting pounded with rain, I looked out the window and noticed our Livin Easy rose was underwater. :-(
    It was winterkilled real bad and I had to prune it down to 4 inches high.
    Anyhow, I tried a new finer mulch last season and the mulch matted together and caused a water holding basin effect underneath Livin Easy. I corrected that problem. lol
    Livin Easy is doing good now and growing in spite of being underwater probably since winter time. lol

• ronda_in_carolina
    12 years ago

FANTASTIC!!

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Just checking in after being away for a while---sorry to hear about everyone's problems---I can relate to health problems---Thank goodness we have GW and we can visit all the beautiful roses---
    Boxo---I have always enjoyed your lovely bouquets and your thoughtfulness.
    Florence