Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody growing Distant drums?

Posted by jim1961 5/6 pa (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 16:44

Just wondering if the buck rose Distant Drums is a good growing rose?
What height X width does it grow to?
Thanks!

JIM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody growing Distant drums?

Jim, Distant Drums seems very!!! healthy and a gorgeous color. The blooms are small, only 3" but very lovely, the subtle coloration of water lilies with touches of coffee in it. At Powell Gardens they are completely!!! no spray; no pesticides, no fungicides, no winter protection so for them to be able to have this rose indicates that it must be a very hardy good rose to have. Interestingly the rose is supposed to be 4'-6' but I think it seems to be a shorter kind of rose. I can't imagine it growing to be 6'. Four ft. seems more like it.

Also there has been a past link to Distant Drums which should be of help.

former Distant Drums thread

o

Thanks for the info serenasyh ! I think we will try to grow it next season.

JIM

o
roses

Heirloom roses has it listed as growing 4ft tall X 3 ft wide. Bloom size 4 inches.

Helpmefind.com has it listed as 3ft to 4ft tall.

JIM

o

Well I think it is a very! pretty rose, reminds me so! much of water lilies! But I wouldn't be surprised if Distant Drums stayed at 3' tall as Helpmefind describes. It just seems like a very short rose.

At that older thread someone wrote that they got theirs from RU and that it was growing like crazy! and that it survived its first winter. Definitely seems like a winner to me, hee-hee!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here